Taxis in Puerto Rico - Can someone help me?

JessInNY

Hello All,

I am cruising on the Crown Princess on 11/25, Southern Caribbean, through Puerto Rico.

I did not get transfers, I have a couple of questions and would greatly appreciate some information:

Is it easy to get a taxi from the PR airport to the ship?

How far from the airport and how much does the taxi trip cost?

Same on disembarkment, will I have a problem getting a cab to the airport?

As always, thank you so much for your help.

Have a nice day.

Jess

Jess:

There is a cab stand where everyone waits. You will get a written (firm) price quote from a supervisor and this sheet will include your destination address. There are no "surprises" this way.

We tried to tip the supervisor after he helped load our luggage into the trunk. He replied "thank you - but I am not allowed to accept tips". Huh? This was a shocker!

Sorry I can't help you with the price as our cab ride was to a hotel quite a distance from the pier.

Enjoy San Juan and happy cruising,

mollyanne:)

the cab fare will be determined depending on how many people and much lugguage- it is not one set price.

We had 4 adults. 8 pcs of luggage and 4 carry ons-- one way was 27 bucks.

AFTER the cruise-- get a porter-- they can move you a lot faster then what you can do yourself. With a porter you get taken to the front of the taxi line also.

Here is the current price list for the fixed taxi rate zones:

Fixed rates - Tourist zones:

Airport / Isla Verde - $10.00

Airport / Condado / Miramar - $14.00

Airport / Pier Area in Old San Juan - $19.00

Piers / Old San Juan - $7.00

Piers / Condado / Miramar - $12.00

Piers / Isla Verde - $19.00

Piers / Plaza Las Américas Shopping Mall - $14.00

Piers / Plaza Carolina Shopping Mall - $24.00

Piers 1, 4, 6 & Navy Frontier / El Morro - $6.00

Panamerican Piers / El Morro - $10.00

Note: $0.50 per each piece of luggage, excluding hand pieces, and an additional charge of $1.00 per piece, after three pieces.

Additional taxi rates for non-fixed zones is here:

http://www.gotopuertorico.com/go_visitPuertoRico.php?language=english&page=100

I haven't been to Puerto Rico in 10 years or so, but I seem to recall that you had to be a little careful about taxis. Then there were different kinds of taxis. The ones you get into at the line at the airport were all approved, set rate cabs. There were also others that were apparently licensed, but set different rates. There was a difference in the license plate of the different kinds of taxis. Anyone have current info?

Hi,

We have never had problems getting taxis to our hotel or the port from the airport in the past. As long as you take a regular taxi the limit is set. Someone above posted the amounts.

BTW - we are also sailing on this cruise. There are a lot of CC's on this cruise. You should come over to our thread and say hello. I can't believe it is getting close to that 30 day mark.

Okay.....maybe it's just me....but why wouldn't you just buy the Princess transfer? It's $15.00 each way and you don't have to pay extra for your luggage. Since I'm flying by myself from LAX.....I brought the transfers so I won't have to be too concerned about getting to the from the ship.

NOW.....I'm gonna have to pay for a taxi to and from OSJ with the change of piers:mad: But I'll have my cousins with me by that time...exploring the island....I can't wait:D :D

.....I bought the transfers so I won't have to be too concerned about getting to the from the ship...

That was my thought when I first booked and included transfers. Then I read many many posts on CC telling people that when you get the transfer, you have to sit on a bus and wait for other cruisers who got transfers to fill the bus before leaving. You also get to deal with an entire bus load of people trying to get in line at the same time to board the ship. Everyone seemed to recommend that it's not worth the savings and much easier to get a taxi. So I called my TA and cancelled the transfers.

That was my thought when I first booked and included transfers. Then I read many many posts on CC telling people that when you get the transfer, you have to sit on a bus and wait for other cruisers who got transfers to fill the bus before leaving. You also get to deal with an entire bus load of people trying to get in line at the same time to board the ship. Everyone seemed to recommend that it's not worth the savings and much easier to get a taxi. So I called my TA and cancelled the transfers.

You know what.....I have heard that also. But every cruise I have been on....except out on LA. I have brought transfers from the ship to the airport. I have never had to wait....I think because the bus was pretty full by the time I boarded. The only time I had to wait....for the bus to come to the airport to pick me up..... was in Puerto Rico:eek: We took a red eye from Los Angeles and arrived in PR around 9:30am. Checked in with the Carnival folks at the airport and waited. We arrived at the pier around 11:30 and they were already embarking.

So I'm kinda expecting to have to wait when I get to PR. Or with the change of piers....maybe I can wait inside the terminal...which I couldn't do so in 2001....there wasn't anywhere to wait:cool:

Okay.....maybe it's just me....but why wouldn't you just buy the Princess transfer? It's $15.00 each way and you don't have to pay extra for your luggage. Since I'm flying by myself from LAX.....I brought the transfers so I won't have to be too concerned about getting to the from the ship.

NOW.....I'm gonna have to pay for a taxi to and from OSJ with the change of piers:mad: But I'll have my cousins with me by that time...exploring the island....I can't wait:D :D

We only booked Princess transfers once - for a cruise leaving out of Galveston. On the way from IAH to the hotel - our Princess transfer never showed up. Fortunately, we called Princess customer service from the airport several times, and they finally told us to take a taxi to the hotel. We were reimbursed onboard (no problems getting this done), but we wasted a good 1-1/2 hours plus waiting and calling Princess, then had an hour taxi ride.

On the way from the port terminal to IAH, we waited a LONG time on the bus. The buses won't leave until they are full, but ours had been full for a very long time before we finally left. We were already late getting in to port - several people missed flights they probably would have made if they had been able to get more expedient transportation.

Galveston transfers do seem to be amoung the worst, but we'll take care of our own transfers from now on!

Why take taxi? Much cheaper and faster than transfer. There were four in our party this spring, eight large bags, asked for and received a minivan. Total fare was $24 (including tip) and at dockside in less than 20 min from picking up our bags. Be sure to stop at the curbside Kiosk and get a trip fare agreement as discussed in earlier posts.

Getting a taxi is a piece of cake! Just follow the signs to the taxi stand outside the airport. The drivers know where each ship is. If you are worried that they many not, just find a cruise rep (they are very visible by the luggage carousels) and ask them.

Getting a taxi is a piece of cake! Just follow the signs to the taxi stand outside the airport. The drivers know where each ship is.

That is so true. They may not know the name of the pier, though. We were leaving the hotel after a pre-cruise stay and asked to be taken to the Pan Am pier and ended up at the airport. We had a big laugh at our communication problems; but when we finally got the driver to understand we were going on the Golden Princess he knew exactly where to go. We didn't try to explain to him that Pan American Airways had gone out of business years ago. lol

Have a great cruise.

Mike:D :D

Archived