Earthquake in Hawaii

kapoho2

I am sure by now you have all seen the reports on the national TV about the series of earthquakes here in Hawaii this morning.

I am on the east side (Hilo side) of the Big Island. We had just sat down with our morning coffee..shortly after 7am local time...and the house started shaking and it kept going and going and going. All of our pendant lights were swaying and the house was creaking. We lost power for just a moment...but then it came back on. A few minutes later we felt a second quake....same scenario. I have a police scanner radio and it seems that the power is still out in many locations on this island.

There are also reports of rockslides and road collapses around the island. All of the local TV stations (from Honolulu) have been knocked off the air, as I understand that the power is out on Oahu.

There are several areas that seemed to have been hit hard by rockslides...and I hear the authorities on the radio are going house to house to check for injuries.

Hope all of our other "local" friends here in Hawaii are OK.

Wow...... Yes, I heard about the earthquake and being a resident of California, have been through several.... Including the 1994 Northridge Earthquake.... I hope you and all Hawaiian residents are ok.... My thoughts are with everyone.......

Kapoho2 - thanks so much for your update this morning - we were on the PoAM last month and met a wonderful couple from Hilo - I emailed them earlier and have not heard back. You are all in my thoughts and prayers.

TSUmom

Kapoho2,

Just heard the news about the earthquake. You and all the residents of Hawaii are in our thoughts and prayers. Glad to hear you are OK. It must have been very frightening. Have you ever experienced earthquakes while you have been in Hawaii before? On another note, my husband's father passed away yesterday after a lengthy illness...this seems to be a bad news week. We are thinking of you ;) Pat & Rick

Our thoughts and prayers are with all Hawaii residents AND visitors who are there right now! I wonder what the Pride ships will do now? It would be interesting to hear from someone aboard one of them.

I just checked to see if the Honolulu web cam was operational on Waikiki beach, but it is not.

I "heard" this first on the HA board where I have been reading daily posts from a group on the Zaandam. They were docked in Kona when earthquake happened about 7AM this Sunday morning. It was good that passengers had not yet left the ship for tours, etc. Last I read the Captain had pulled anchor and they were leaving port. I did see on the Princess webcam that the Island Princess looks docked in Hilo. Hoping all sailors and Hawaii residents stay safe. Being CA residents, we can certainly identify with them. Hopefully, there will be no casualities. Prayers and Aloha to all in Hawaii at this time.

I "heard" this first on the HA board where I have been reading daily posts from a group on the Zaandam. They were docked in Kona when earthquake happened about 7AM this Sunday morning. It was good that passengers had not yet left the ship for tours, etc. Last I read the Captain had pulled anchor and they were leaving port. I did see on the Princess webcam that the Island Princess looks docked in Hilo. Hoping all sailors and Hawaii residents stay safe. Being CA residents, we can certainly identify with them. Hopefully, there will be no casualities. Prayers and Aloha to all in Hawaii at this time.

Since there is no "docking" in Kona only tendering, it is a good thing that the tender boats had not started operating yet! However, it would be good to hear from some of those on ships that ARE docked in the various ports around Hawaii!

It seems reasonable that all the ships will set out to sea, and NOT be in port, as ships are much safer at sea than being on the land with aftershocks and the like.

Thanks for that correction, Lambs2! I must have had the Island Princess on my mind as the webcam showed her docked in Hilo. I do know that the ships only tender in Kona - my mistake. Sorry about that. ANOTHER senior moment I guess!

Below I copied a post from folks that are apparently IN Hawaii awaiting the Pride of Aloha sailing tomorrow:

__________________________________________________________________________________________

post_old.gif Today, 05:38 PM

hawaiibound24 user_online.gif vbmenu_register("postmenu_8066952", true);

Cool Cruiser

icon1.gif

We are going on the POH tomorrow. We flew in friday. It is now about 11:30 am and we have no power in Oahu. We felt the quake here, and it rattled the windows. THe latest we heard is flights are coming in (some, but none are going out because the airport does not have enough reserve power to do the screening.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________

Power finally came back up where we live. No real damage though we certainly felt it - the strongest earthquake that I can recall in Hawaii to date. House did shake and one picture fell off the shelf and cracked the glass. Besides that, for us on Oahu, it seemed more of an inconvenience because of the power loss rather than the quake itself. Our thoughts are with the people of Kona, some of who have suffered some structural damage to their homes. Luckily, no fatalities have been reported yet.

I am concerned about reports of landslides into Kealakekua Bay - they say that the waters are very brown. As many of you know, Kealakekua Bay is considered one of the top spots for snorkeling/scuba in the state - there may be permanent damage to the reef because of this.

Spleen

Mahalo to all for your thoughts and prayers.

Pat and Rick....so sorry to hear the sad news about Rick's father.

Yes, we have felt small "jolt" type earthquakes before. But, nothing like today's quake. It was a slow nauseating roll that just kept getting stronger and seemed to go on forever...even though it lasted less than a minute. The second quake was very similar. It took ME several hours to stop shaking!!

I cannot imagine what this quake felt like over on the Kona side of the island. We are lucky over here on the Hilo side. No reports of damages or injuries. Just some frayed nerves!!

Aloha from Kona! Lots of flying debris and broken glass around here and some homes damaged. But we are okay and the power and water are back on. They had to evacuate some of Kona Hospital due to structural damage. I heard on the news that there was a cruise ship in the harbour this morning and they had already started tendering people off. Then when the quake hit the ship sounded an alarm and the people on shore could hear them talking loudly over the ship's speakers. The caller on the news said they then tried to get the people back on the ship that had tendered off already. That's what I heard anyway.

Glad you are back on line Spleen and Kapoho and everyone else - hope everyone is safe...

I'm going to try to go down into Kona (I live a few miles north) - wish me luck.

Emi

Glad to see positive reports from our locals! That is good news. Yes - the Zuiderdam was in port - they were posting live to a thread on the HAL boards. They said they could feel the earthquake on the ship. That must have been bizare!

I hope there isn't too much damage to the reef... From experience with our own earthquake, although it can be be devastating - I know that homes & buildings can be rebuilt - a reef, however not so promising. Let's hope it is only minor damage.

Glad everyone is safe!!! That is the most important thing.

Just saw this post on the NCL news section.

Norwegian Cruise Line and NCL America (together "NCL") are closely monitoring the situation in Hawai`i after the earthquake on Sunday, October 15th. Norwegian Wind, Pride of America, Pride of Aloha and Pride of Hawai`i are all safe and secure. No passenger or crew injuries have been reported.

So glad to hear our local "ccfamily" has come through this in good shape! How scary it must have been. We live in CA so we can well imagine what you have experienced. Hope not much damage becomes visible in the days ahead.

As a California girl (born and raised), I'm also all too familiar with the effects and aftermath of major earthquakes. DH and I hope all Hawaii locals are okay and that the damages can be repaired quickly.

Ironically, if DH and I hadn't had to change our 2006 travel plans, we would have been at LAX this morning waiting for our connecting flight to Maui when the quake hit. Weird and kind of eerie.

Our thoughts and wishes are definitely for our Hawaiian friends tonight.

beachchick

Glad to see positive reports from our locals! That is good news. Yes - the Zuiderdam was in port - they were posting live to a thread on the HAL boards. They said they could feel the earthquake on the ship. That must have been bizare!

The HAL Zaandam is crusing the Hawaiian Islands right now not the Zuiderdam. They are currently cruising around the Big Island instead of being docked.

We are in Honolulu and just got our power back on now, about 12 hrs after the earthquake happened. We are ok and just so happy that there doesn't seem to be any major damage or injuries. I have never been through a major earthquake before and would not like to again. It was very scary.

My thoughts immediately went to the cruise ships as we were just on the PoH last week. Glad to hear all are ok.

Just checking in.

The airport power came back around 6 and the air traffic has picked up considerably since then. It was VERY quiet all day with mostly landings only.

Spleen, I saw your power back from across the channel as I was driving around charging our phone. HA HA. Lucky guy, we got ours back at 7:59....just in time for desperate housewives.

Emi and kapoho, glad youre safe....scary over there.

Archived