Earthquake in Hawaii

kapoho2

Drove down from Kohala to Kona today on the lower road (Queen Ka'ahumanu Highway). The roads are rapidly being cleared of debris that has been pushed to the shoulders. Our road workers have been working day and night and it is really remarkable the difference between Tuesday and today.

The town looked pretty much normal except for the Ironman stuff. The Hulihee Palace was pretty badly damaged, and I'm not sure it is open.

There has been lots of damage to rock walls and also to some of the heiau (temples). The Mookini Heiau in Kohala and the Pu'ukohola Heiau near Kawaihae at Spenser Beach both were damaged pretty significantly.

There's not much more in the way of an update at this point. We're recovering, although the aftershocks continue.

At a personal level, we're two pickup loads into dumping the broken stuff, and still have to take care of my mom's place, but no one is injured, and nothing in the houses is beyond repair, so we feel pretty fortunate.

My husband and I just got back from a cruise on Island Princess today. We were about 1/2 hour before docking in Hilo when the earthquake hit and we felt it on the ship. The ship really shook and I first thought that something was wrong with the engines, or that we might be dragging bottom. It was kind of scary. Then the captain came on the speaker and told us that a earthquake had hit the islands. We were shocked....not expecting anything like that. Then we heard on the news of several after shocks. We were able to go on the island of Hilo, but a lot of the tours were canceled because of damage to some of the roads. It was quite an experience and I never would have thought that would feel an earthquake on water. Our prayers are for those who had damage...hopefully nothing serious.

Aloha, Paka

We were with the CC group cruise, on the Zaandam, and experienced the earthquake while on the ship. The vibrations we felt were quite strong and something unexpected when anchored. We planned to take a long shore excursion to VNP, and actually were tendered ashore. The only activity, there, was the Iron Man group. A few tour busses were there, but all excursions were cancelled and we sailed away as soon as all were back on the ship. The ship sailed slowly along the coast and arrived for the lava flow viewing around 6 PM. The flow looked like little more than a bonfire, along the shore! I'm so glad that things are getting back to normal, on the beautiful islands of Hawaii.:)

Archived