Zuiderdam Dining Room Questions

TexasGal62

Hi,

I'm new to HAL (but not to cruising!) and am not quite sure about the difference in the dining room options. I understand that there is Upper & Lower, with the Upper starting 1/2 hour earlier.

We always prefer the later dining option, and have usually found that the lower dining room has a bit more ambience on the other ships we've cruised on.

Guess I'm wondering if one the dining rooms is a more 'preferred' location. Any and all opinions are greatly appreciated! Sure am looking forward to experiencing HAL - I've heard so many good things! Thanks, Gail

We went on a back to back cruise on the Zuiderdam, the upstairs dining room the first week and the downstairs the second week. We found little difference except in the table mates. Because we actually chose the later option the second cruise, we found that on the second formal night, they began running out of lobster...might be a consideration if you are a lobster lover as I am. The chef comes out for his speech on the grand staircase within the dining rooms with the baked Alaska parade to follow. The downstairs had a much better view than the upstairs for this ... however, there was no bad spot for the waiter's parade...without giving too much away. My advice, as soon as you board, make reservations for the Pinacle Grill for at least one night if not more. More than worth the surcharge. We made one reservation on the first leg and were so impressed but couldn't get in again until the next week. We made reservations for three more nights for the second leg as there were only about 20 of us onboard. If you can do this ahead of time online, I absolutely recommend it

We like the slightly earlier time of the 8:00 seating upstairs, but... we were sitting along the railing near the stairs. During the first half hour of our 8:00 meal, you can see the stragglers from the earlier seating downstairs finally leaving, then there is a lot of commotion as they hurry to set up the tables for the 8:30 seating.

Then you have the people coming in upstairs at 8:15 trying to sneak down the stairs since they won't let them in downstairs until 8:30. So they stand on the stairs and interrupt the waiters trying to go up and down the stairs.

I would probably like the 8:00 seating better if we were not along the railing near the stairs. On the upcoming cruise we still requested the 8:00 and hopefully won't be by the stairs.

Archived