Alaska Princess lodges

sissylala

We are planning land tour before southbound cruise in September. Read reviews on several different web sites that the rooms had mold, very small, nad noisey. Has anyone had any bad experiences like this???:mad:

Nope--our one trip to Alaska we stayed at the Princess lodges in Fairbanks, Denali, and Mckinley---they were all clean, and the rooms at Fairbanks and McKinley were pretty nice. The Denali Lodge rooms appear older,were smaller, and, in general, could benefit from some updating. However, no issuses on cleanliness or mold. I would have no reservations about returning to any of the Princess lodges.

We, too, stayed in all three above mentioned lodges, McKinley being the favorite--thought they were all very nice!! No problems with mold, and definitely clean. I would highly recommend them! We went with three other couples and did a five day land tour and then a 10 day cuise, (which in my opinion was the best order to do it in, by the way!) and all of us liked the food at the lodges better than the cruise....but the food was good all around. We were on the Coral Princess. Now my father-in-law is very sensitive to smoke, and my in-laws had to switch rooms because their room smelled of that, but they were switched and it was no problem. Hope that helps! Loralie

I don't know where you picked up that info re the lodges but we stayed in three and they were as clean as a whistle, adequately large enough and never heard a thing ! Take it from there.

Have a great cruise/tour e CIAO,

Although it's been a few years, the two lodges we stayed in (Fairbanks and McKinley) were both very well kept. In fact, our room at McKinley was a suite, with a huge jacuzzi tub (we were on our honeymoon, nice!) and a big living room with a bar and big-screen TV. It still ranks as one of the nicest hotel rooms we've stayed in anywhere.

Let me second the motion on the Kenai Princess. The room was like a cabin with a fireplace, very comfortable sleeping arrangements and a separate living/family room type area. Hot tubs were nearby, along with a good on-site restaurant and nature trail. A great place to stay and definitely the nicest accommodations in the Cooper Landing area, although Gwin's by far had the best food.

Les

I didn't like the rooms we were in in Denali - thought they were noisy - they were close to the highway and there was construction going on at the time. I remember them being closed in and they reminded us of a cheap, beach area motel, but we opened the bathroom window and were fine. There are quite a few rooms here, though, most not by the highway. We didn't spend much time in this room, anyway as we were on the 8 hour Tundra Wilderness Tour.

All the lodges rooms were spotless, though, and Fairbanks Riverside Lodge and McKinley Wilderness Lodge were beautiful and comfortable.

I didn't like the rooms we were in in Denali - thought they were noisy - they were close to the highway and there was construction going on at the time. I remember them being closed in and they reminded us of a cheap, beach area motel, but we opened the bathroom window and were fine. There are quite a few rooms here, though, most not by the highway. We didn't spend much time in this room, anyway as we were on the 8 hour Tundra Wilderness Tour.

All the lodges rooms were spotless, though, and Fairbanks Riverside Lodge and McKinley Wilderness Lodge were beautiful and comfortable.

I agree, the Denali Lodge is just your average motel and is quite dated as stephenandrew stated. The McKinley Wilderness Lodge is newer, better thought out and constructed. It also has the benefit of truly being in the wilderness.

To the OP - I have photos of both lodges and our rooms in our Alaska album.

http://new.photos.yahoo.com/cpebmw/album/576460762317721614/photo/294928803155133751/23

http://new.photos.yahoo.com/cpebmw/album/576460762317721614/photo/294928803155099084/58

The Denali Princess Lodge underwent a huge "make-over" between the first time we stayed there in 03 and our second visit in June 05. The old buildings are still standing, but I heard that most of the old guest rooms are no longer used for guests. There is a brand new lodge building which is lovely. We stayed in one of the new guest room buildings the second time, and our room was almost identical to the room we stayed at in the Princess Copper Creek Lodge. The area around the Denali Princess did change dramatically in the 2 years. It was a bit congested before but we were still surprised to see how built it up got in just 2 years. There was all kinds of commercial development right across the highway. The pizza place right next to the lodge is now owned by Princess, but the pizza was every bit as good as it was when it was independently owned.

Just a little FYI: we really didn't like the dinner show they put on at the Denali Princess. The food was okay, but you sit on picnic tables without backs on the benches. Those became pretty uncomfortable by the time we sat through dinner and the show. The show itself was so hoaky. It reminded us of a bad high school musical. We would have sneaked out the door quietly, but the way the room is set up that wasn't possible. The cast does a lot of running around through the dining area.

Shae

Are all the rooms at the lodges the same? Or do they differ according to which category cruise you have booked?

Ken

I think they may be related to your category. We didn't have a bathroom window, so there must be variable room plans. I did ask to be moved to a room with a view, but the property was sold out our first night and it wasn't worth it to move for our second and last night at Denali. So, we could have moved to a better room. All four of us were unimpressed by the Denali Princess motel. It was VERY NOISY!

Nope--our one trip to Alaska we stayed at the Princess lodges in Fairbanks, Denali, and Mckinley---they were all clean, and the rooms at Fairbanks and McKinley were pretty nice. The Denali Lodge rooms appear older,were smaller, and, in general, could benefit from some updating. However, no issuses on cleanliness or mold. I would have no reservations about returning to any of the Princess lodges.

We're going mid-June on the southbound leg, and are looking at the Fairbanks, Denali, and Mckinley lodges beforehand. What are people's opinions on choosing those three, or choosing a different combination (2 Denali, or other)?

I did an eight day land and seven day cruise tour in May of this year.

I stayed at the lodges in Fairbanks, Denali, Copper River and Kenai. They were all great and the land tour was superb. The Kenai lodge is in a beautiful setting and the rooms are great with their fireplaces, decks and sitting room areas.

Enjoy!!

WCC

Agree with the comments on the Denali Princess lodge, but it does offer on BIG advantage: the chance to enter Denali NP for a tundra wilderness tour (or even better-- an even longer day using the park transport). The amazing wildlife sightings more than made up for the somewhat congested suroundings at the lodge itself. This lodge is also a good base for horseback riding and raft trips. We did enjoy the restaurants and the pizza at this hotel as well, and did not find the room to be especially noisy.

HI.

I figured this was a good tread to ask a question about meals when you are doing a cruise tour. Are any meals provided during the tour portion when you are staying at the Princess Lodges or do you have to buy all your own meals?

Thanks in advance for your answers. Have a great next cruise.

HI.

I figured this was a good tread to ask a question about meals when you are doing a cruise tour. Are any meals provided during the tour portion when you are staying at the Princess Lodges or do you have to buy all your own meals?

Thanks in advance for your answers. Have a great next cruise.

Our meals were NOT included in the cost of the cruise tour

You are on your own with the food. I agree that the Kenai Lodge is beautiful and so is the setting--lovely landscape. The McKinley Lodge is very nice and the view is fabulous when it is clear. The viewing deck is great and large. We had 3 clear days. If you are a Captain Circle Member, your room reflects your status. Our room at McKinley had a view.

On our cruisetour this past August, our rooms in Fairbanks and the newest lodge in Denali were very comfortable, quiet, and clean. I don't know if you can request the new Denali lodge or not on a cruise tour, but even though it is a bit farther from the gift shops, restaurants, etc., it is a great place to stay.

As you think about what cruisetour to take, consider that tours with one night in Denali only include the Natural History Tour, which does not go very far into the park. At least some of the tours with two nights in Denali offer the Tundra Wilderness Tour, which goes much farther into the park and is much better for wildlife sightings.

Whatever you choose, Alaska is a beautiful place to visit.

We had a four day land tour prior to our 7 day southbound cruise this past May. We had two nights at McKinley and one at Denali. At both lodges, we were in the new expansion rooms. We liked the rooms at both lodges, perhaps the one at Denali was a tad bigger. But from an overall lodge perspective, we definitely liked McKinley the best. You just can't beat the true wilderness setting. I also thought the dining options were superior at McKinley. Too much tacky commercialization around the Denali lodge -- reminded me of the Wisconsin Dells!

Our meals were NOT included in the cost of the cruise tour

Our meals were included as we had a guided Princess Land Tour. I was surprised to learn that all the other groups staying at the lodges were on their own and that their meals were not included.

We had a group of 24 people and a great young guide named Jill.

WCC

Archived