Chankanaab update

tvleaker

Chankanaab is open..But still under major construction..new beach chairs, trees and palapas..but looks nothing like it used to. all the tall trees are gone..just beat to pulp by the hurricane...the good news is everything is new there and eventually will be better than ever. The reef took a pounding, but we found the snorking okay..cruiselines don't book excursions there right now, so we found it peaceful and fun..I will find a way to post some pictures

Sounds good. We're going to Cozumel on a cruise stop in two weeks. After doing the Dolphin thing years ago with the kids we discovered Chankanaab. Last time we went there on our own, and just laid around, snorkeled a little, and enjoyed lunch and drinks at the open restuarant. We were looking forward to doing that again, but unsure how it's recovered. We found the snorkeling just OK there in the past, but still enjoyed it and would like to do a little if it hasn't gone downhill.

Alternatively we were thinking about Paradise beach that a lot of people were talking about, but aren't sure which would be nicer.

What is the entrance fee now? I've read that while rebuilding they had a 2 for 1 special going on the fee, but wondered if that is over now. The review from June lists a 2 for 1 special.

We were planning on going there in Dec. My DH loves to snorkel and I thought this would be a relaxing way to do it.

Yup, $16, I just checked with the Park and these are the current prices:

Adult 16 usd

Kids 8 usd (3- 11 years old)

Free entrance under 3 years old

There is also a $2 discount coupon on their website here.

(The coupon request form is in Spanish - were it says "Descuento en entradas al Parque" beneath the title of the website you need to select your date next to 'Fecha', then how many adults - adultos - and how many children - niños - then click send - enviar)

The 2 for 1 offer has finished I'm afraid.

Ian

We just got back from Chankanaab.Triumph 10-14 This was our favorite place, use to be. Our group of 6 got there at 10:30 am, last time there, half the place was full. Not this time. After paying the 14pp entrance fee(we had a $2 off coupon), we had to be shuttled to the beach in an old flatbed truck. We were taken to the very far end, and during the 5min ride, the severity of the hurricane was obvious. We were the only people there, besides the workers.

The bar/restaurant did not open till 11:30 so we had to wait for a while for a drink. My friend and myself snorkeled there. I found it very different, everything seemed to be silt covered, not many fish, the color was gone.

At about the time we were going to the bar, the truck brought 7 more people there.

Everything there is brand new, and really very nice. The employees there were so friendly, and the drinks were very well priced. the food was exceptional too. If it was not for the noise of the contruction going on, I would say go there, you will have it to yourself. All the noise really took away from the peacefulness of what I remember. They had made a tremenduous effort to bring it back, but it will take years to recover the vegetation that was lost. All the igunas are gone too. The staff said thay have not seen any since the hurricane.

We left at 2pm and still only 13 people there. I heard from the ship, everyone went to Paradise beach.

we were thinking of this for dec but seems unlikely the areas we were interested in will be ready--the archaeological & botanical--oh welll we missed the park in gr cayman awhile ago & now it is open again so I guess we will wait for this too! Wiht so many ships going in on our port day & not that much available I think we are going to stay on board---how many people can do the same few things at once????

Hmmm... I still think we'll go to Chankanaab.. Cozumel has seven ships in on our day - including Freedom of the seas (3600 capacity).

While your post concerns me, about quiet and peacefulness anyways, I'm worried Paradise might be a bit crowded.

Hmmm... I still think we'll go to Chankanaab.. Cozumel has seven ships in on our day - including Freedom of the seas (3600 capacity).

While your post concerns me, about quiet and peacefulness anyways, I'm worried Paradise might be a bit crowded.

I am wondering how you can find out how many ships are in port that day?? I would like to know for our Harley cruise on Mariner of the Seas Nov 4th

Thanks!!

Sounds like Chank Park is trying to make the best of a horrible situation. I know they are so grateful to any cruisers who are willing to take the good with with inconvenient until they can get back on their feet.

Hi, My Name Is Jennie.I Have Been Investigating Cosumel Options. We Are From Wales Uk, And Have No Knowledge Of The Caribean At All. My Choice At The Moment Seems To Be Narrowed Down To 2. ...Chankanaor {spelling ?] Or Passion Island. I Will Be There On 26th Dec. When I Understand 8 Other Ships Are Also In !! My Tour Is Offering A Trip To Passion Island Which Involves A 35min. Ride, A 15min. Shuttle Ride And Costs $ 69. But It Is Said To Be Beautiful. If I Choose Chankanaor Park. Will That Still Be Beautiful. I Have No Knowledge Of What It Was Like Before Anyway. We Dont Want Loud Music Or Lots Of "toys" . Also We Will Have To Make Our Own Way, So How Far And How Much Is It ? Thanks For Getting To The End Of My Novellette Jennie.

Hi, My Name Is Jennie.I Have Been Investigating Cosumel Options. We Are From Wales Uk, And Have No Knowledge Of The Caribean At All. My Choice At The Moment Seems To Be Narrowed Down To 2. ...Chankanaor {spelling ?] Or Passion Island. I Will Be There On 26th Dec. When I Understand 8 Other Ships Are Also In !! My Tour Is Offering A Trip To Passion Island Which Involves A 35min. Ride, A 15min. Shuttle Ride And Costs $ 69. But It Is Said To Be Beautiful. If I Choose Chankanaor Park. Will That Still Be Beautiful. I Have No Knowledge Of What It Was Like Before Anyway. We Dont Want Loud Music Or Lots Of "toys" . Also We Will Have To Make Our Own Way, So How Far And How Much Is It ? Thanks For Getting To The End Of My Novellette Jennie.

First of all....WELCOME to Cruise Critc!! Since this board is made up of "cruisers" (just like you) who have "been there and done that" ... I hope we can give you some solid info to make the best decisions for your Cozumel stay.

First of all, Cozumel is a wonderful port. It is very tourist friendly. And safe !!(even though the taxis do drive a little fast) It is a port that is safe enough to do on your own. So don't feel like you have to do a ship tour at this port.

Almost everyone gets around by taxi. They are here by the 100's. And will be everywhere...all the time to get you to and from any place you care to gp.

You do have me at a disadvantage because we have never done Passion Island but I will be glad to search the threads for you and post some links where you can read of the real experience of other cruisers.

Chank. Park is still rebuilding. They did take a big hit with Wilma. At this time, I have not read where they are worth the entrance fee yet. I do expect this to change. They are working really hard to get back to normal. You did not say when you will be in Cozumel, but if it is within the next 6 months, I would not do Chank Park. After that, only time will tell how quickly they get back up to speed.

Here is one thread on Passion Island. Do take into consideration that some of these posts are older and before Wilma

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=55918&highlight=Passion+Island

Another more recent thread (after Wilma) is

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=375500&highlight=Passion+Island

If you are looking for an more adult (exclusive) beach, Nachi Cocom offers a day pass for $69.00 that is also all inclusive. It limits the number of people off cruise ships each day. A link discussing N C is here

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=133452&highlight=Passion+Island

It used to be $32.00 a person, but because they decided to be more exclusive they raised the prices (I am sure) to try to limit the number of guests and provide a more intimate experience.

Taxis to Nachi should be $15.00 per TAXI (not per person) one way.

Hope these links help.

Hubby's ancestry is from Wales and we are hoping to do the British Isles this summer. Hope you enjoy your cruise and if you have any other questions, please do not hesitate to ask...we love sharing!!

How Kind Of You To Take The Time To Post Me All That Helpful Info. At A Quick Glance I Think I Have Looked Thro Most Of It. It Is All Very Helpful And Very Confusing At The Same Time.{if You Know What I Mean} !! I Had Made Up My Mind To Go To Passion Island This Afternoon, But Then Read The Bit About There Not Being Any Comfy Chairs, Only S Shaped Now I Am Back Where I Was.! So Many Difficult Choises , This Beach ,that Beach. I Know What My Old Gran Would Say About Me Just Having Worries Like This! Glad To Hear You Are Coming To The Uk. Make Sure You Come To Wales. Look It Up, Its One Of The Best Kept Secrets In The Uk. JENNIE

How Kind Of You To Take The Time To Post Me All That Helpful Info. At A Quick Glance I Think I Have Looked Thro Most Of It. It Is All Very Helpful And Very Confusing At The Same Time.{if You Know What I Mean} !! I Had Made Up My Mind To Go To Passion Island This Afternoon, But Then Read The Bit About There Not Being Any Comfy Chairs, Only S Shaped Now I Am Back Where I Was.! So Many Difficult Choises , This Beach ,that Beach. I Know What My Old Gran Would Say About Me Just Having Worries Like This! Glad To Hear You Are Coming To The Uk. Make Sure You Come To Wales. Look It Up, Its One Of The Best Kept Secrets In The Uk. JENNIE

Glad I could be of assistance. I know what you mean about it all being confusing. I love Cozumel. It is fun and safe and I am like a kid in a candy store every time I arrive. There is so much to do. I usually get there 2 to 3 times a year, but after Hurricane Wilma hit...we took a break until they could get everything back together. We did a cruise up to Alaska and then we tried the East side Mexico (Mexican Riveria) and it just wasn't the same.

We are headed back in December and I can't wait.

Just know that whatever you decide, make sure it is right for you. Other people's opinions are just that. You will have a wonderful time. If I hear any more current reports...I will forward them to you!!

In the meantime, these boards are a wealth of information (as long as you ignore the crazies) and you should be very well prepared for your vacation!

Happy Cruising!!

• 3 weeks later...

We went to Chankanaab park on October 31 - my birthday!

We had read mixed reviews of how the rebuilding was going - and considered Paradise Beach. But with 7 cruise ships in port, including the Freedom of the Seas, we were a bit concerned about crowding at Paradise.

We went the Chankanaab and had a wonderful time. After paying our entrance fee we rode an improvised bus (flatbed truck with railings and benches, around the side of the park as the front entry plaza was under construction - this took about 5 minuites including waiting time. We found the beach looked fine and was improved with nice wooden lounge chairs and some new steps into the water. I think only part of the beach was rebuilt as I recalled it being longer. Also, as you'd expect in a hurricane stricken area, there were fewer trees and the ones that were there were pretty beat up or recent transplants. But I'm sure you'd find this at any beach in Coz. The snorkeling was as good, or better than ever. There was never a lot of coral at Chankanaab, but there are some nice coral heads to the side of the raft that looked great and had lots of fish around them.

Everyone was very nice, and we had a great lunch at one of the beach restaurants - as we have in years gone by. Admittedly, we were not interested in the non-beach features of the park so we couldn't comment on those. When we bought our tickets a nice young lady explained what areas of the park were available, as well as some other local tours they could take us on for our park admission, but we didn't pay much attention as we were just interested in lounging around the beach as swimming a little. And we couldn't have been happier with what we found in that regard. Highly recommended in my opinion.

we were thinking of this for dec but seems unlikely the areas we were interested in will be ready--the archaeological & botanical--oh welll we missed the park in gr cayman awhile ago & now it is open again so I guess we will wait for this too! Wiht so many ships going in on our port day & not that much available I think we are going to stay on board---how many people can do the same few things at once????

We were at Chakanaab park in Oct. When we got of the shuttle a park guide asked us if we would like to take "a tour" for free. most people in our group just headed to the beach, but four of us said yes. Well the park guide took us through trails where there were replicas of various Mayan ruins. He did such a great job explaining things, and showing us the lagoon, talking about the hurricane, that we really enjoyed it. The he took us into a Mayan hut, where a little old lady was making corn flat bread, from scratch, (yes..ground the corn) then she cooked some up on her flat grill on the open fire and gave us some sulsa etc. to put on. and we ate.

We gave a good tip, but there was no cost to this. So, check it out if you are interested in this. The guide was so proud of his Mayan heritage, it really showed.

The park was great, snorkeling was not as good as in the past, but the beach was clean and no busy.

Hello, not sure if anyone has posted this before but, we were there 3 years ago, so we have not seen the damage that Wilma did. I was just wondering about the dolphins and the sea lions. Are they still there? I have swam with the dolphins and would like to have the oportunity to interact with the sea lions. Where is this Paradise beach I keep hearing about? When we were there we did the park for a while so my DH got to try snorkling for the first time, then we did the ATV jungle tour, so we knew nothing about Paradise beach.

Hello, not sure if anyone has posted this before but, we were there 3 years ago, so we have not seen the damage that Wilma did. I was just wondering about the dolphins and the sea lions. Are they still there? I have swam with the dolphins and would like to have the oportunity to interact with the sea lions. Where is this Paradise beach I keep hearing about? When we were there we did the park for a while so my DH got to try snorkling for the first time, then we did the ATV jungle tour, so we knew nothing about Paradise beach.

I believe the Dolphin encounter is up and running again - they have a web site at: http://www.*****cozumel/ We were going to walk over and watch, but never got around to it. We did this a couple times with the kids a few years back.

I think Paradise beach is a couple of miles past Chankanaab park - the same direction from town.

Wanted to go when we were on the Conquest in April but was still closed for renovations. My daughter was there in Sept on her birthday and had wanted to swim with dolphins for years, so did. We got to see the digital pics they took and also the video they purchased of the swim. They were wonderful and it looked beautiful there. They did the most expensive one, with the pull thru the water and the push up and out of the water, kisses and petting, etc. The dolphins even sang Happy Birthday to her while dancing. She loved it and was glad she paid the extra bucks for the whole event. They did do it on their own and not thru the cruise line as it was a little less money and she also printed the coupon off the website. I don't think they stayed for much else, I know they wanted to go shopping and celebrating. But she did mention that you could tell a hurricane had gone thru.

So that is what I can report. Hope it helps.

Are there jet skis, and parasailing at the park? We have the Royal Dolphin Swim booked for our DD and her friend, but the two oldest DS's want to jet ski, and the girls want to parasail after the dolphin swim. It would be nice to have it all at Chakanaab park .

Thanks for any help you can offer

Brenda

According to the Chankanaab web site, there are no jet skis or para sailing offered at this park. Chankanaab has a different emphasis than some of the other beaches. Its emphasis is more on the natural beauty, resources, and culture of the area rather than on beach toys.

The beach area is ideal for snorkeling, but is not the same type of beach as is found on Paradise Beach which is an ideal swimming type beach. Snorkel beaches tend to be rocky, sometimes vey rocky where as swimming beaches are more the type of beach as we tend to think of for swimming...sandy with a gradual decline in depth.

Archived