Island Princess "Bump Out" Corner Cabins

ndjoe

I am planning a Panama Canal cruise on the Island Princess, Category AA on the Baja Deck, with a corner cabin in the "Bump Out" section. My question is what would be better, the corner cabin facing forward or the corner cabin facing the rear. Not sure how windy it might be on the balcony with the forward facing cabin. I'm sure the forward facing corner cabin would probably give you a better view of the Panama Canal transit, but concerned about the windy conditions while at sea. I know it's difficult to predict what side of the canal transist would be better, port or starboard, but if anyone has any suggestions on that and the above "Bump Out" corner cabin location, I sure would appreciate it.

The corner does cut off some of your balcony space. You do lose some privacy in some areas as well. I don't think you are in this location but for others reading this, if you are in the very last cabin, you have NO privacy from the aft balcony.

Be sure to check out that website someone gave you earlier. It's wonderful information.

Just sailed the Island Princess to Hawaii. Me and DH were in A504 and my Dad was in A416. A416 did get more wind, but did have a great view. Although being in the tropics how bad can the weather be - won't be cold that's for sure.

You need to consider that just the forward motion of the ship when in the open seas is likely to be 20-22 knots, which equates to 23-25 mph, so you would be experiencing 23-25 mph winds on a continuous basis. Even though it might be warm, and hopefully not windy weatherwise, that amount of unobstructed wind could limit the amount of enjoyable time on your balcony if you choose the forward facing one. And if there should be a headwind added to that, you might not be able to be spend much time on your balcony.

When we sailed on the Coral Princess on the Panama Canal itinerary, our balcony was in the center of the middle bumpout on the Baja deck.The visibility at the Canal was excellent from that vantage point. We were in a starboard cabin, but I really don't think that it matters much whether you are port or starboard. While going through the Canal the ship fills the Canal lane that you are in and there's a lot to see, and when the ship leaves Gatun Lake and goes back through the Canal to the Caribbean, the ship is going in the opposite direction, so you would be able to see whatever you might have missed on the westbound transit.

Whatever cabin you choose, the Canal experience is definitely a wonderful one. Enjoy

First let me tell you that you are going to be on our favorite ship!!

We had C635 (I think :D ) . . . it was the corner bumpout on Caribbe, facing forward and I would pick it again any day!!! We did not find it windy and yes, you do lose a little privacy but the view going through the Canal is amazing. You are right there, viewing from 2 open sides!!

Archived