Is Bahamas in Feb. too cold?

We were there this past February, and the weather was great.

80-85 degrees and not a cloud in the sky.

The water was cool in CocoCay until you got into deeper water (10-15 feet), so if you might be snorkeling, that is something to consider.

Depends on your opinion of "cold". Even if it was 65, I'd be nice and toasty after a hard, cold, Ohio winter.

I've been to the Bahamas 2x in February. Bring a light jacket for late night walks on deck, but I've never been cold during the day, even in a bathing suit and snorkel! :)

I'm from Iowa and even after the month of January's winter, I wouldn't think 65 was nice and toasty. When I go on a trip, I want HEAT!!!!. :)

I would recommend calling or emailing someone from the Bahamas Visitors Information website and get their opinion on the ups and downs of February weather in the Bahamas. I didn't say it wouldn't be warm, I just see the weather map in the winter and notice that "Hmmm, the Bahamas are having a cold streak." I'm sure, as with everything, there are exceptions to the rule. It depends on how much heat you want on the trip.

the winter weather in the Bahamas is essentially what it is in Miami and just as variable. when a cold front comes down from the north, it generally affects both places the same. I think you have to ask yourself "too cold for what" and what do you want to do. I see you are from Nashville and it certainly is warmer and more predictably so than where you live. If you want to be assured of hot weather you need to go to somewhere like Puerto Rico or the US Virgins or almost any of the Caribbean islands:)

I am trying to suprise my H with another Anniversary trip. Will it be too cold in the Bahams in Feb.? Should I scratch the idea and go further south?

http://www.bahamasvacationguide.com/weather.html

Looks like in February, the average daily max is 77 degrees with a average daily low of 62. I also agree with 2timecruiser28, go to a source in the Bahamas to ask.

We're going in December and have had the same concerns.

Being from Tenn. as you are, if you can swim in the Lakes in the Summer you will be fine in the Bahamas in Feb. We were there last Feb and although a tad cold getting in at CoCo Cay at first it was fine after about 10 seconds. Take the Hubbie to the Bahamas

As a Florida resident, I find average temperature statistics only slightly helpful. The fact is, like South Florida in February, the temperature is quite variable. Cold spells come in waves, usually about three days of cool to chilly weather with rapid warming to comfortably warm and once in awhile hot weather, then, after a few days, another cool spell.

The weather changes can be quite rapid. When we started out at Nassau in February this year it was muggy and very warm. The next morning at Coco Cay was breezy and balmy, but by early afternoon a definite cold front was arriving. The wind grew strong and chilly. The water became very choppy. When we arrived in Key West the next morning it was as cold as I have ever been in that fair city. By "cold", I mean sweater weather.

It is impossible to predict cool waves much in advance. If you want to book your cruise now or in the near future, no one can say with assurance what the temperature will be at the time of your cruise. And you may start your cruise with one set of conditions and end it with another set of conditions. That often does happen on winter cruises.

That said, take the cruise anyway. You will have a great time no matter what the conditions are.

We live in S. Florida, and I can tell you when the cold fronts hit here, they usually hit the Keys and Bahamas, and it can get cold, I mean we've had some fronts drop us in 40's and lower. Personally, if we cruise in Feb. we would go furthur South, but that's my opinion I like very warm cruising water and weather. I say go for it! it could be super warm too, one never knows what the weather will bring. We cruise all the time during Hurricane season, put up our shutters and have the time of our life! Good luck and Happy sailing.

Archived