New Cococay question

junobeach

I couldn't find this covered elsewhere - can you pay for all the activities on Cococay the day you arrive? I was thinking the water slide and/or water activities for the kids. I wanted to wait and see what the weather was going to be like and didn't want to reserve ahead of time.

Also, if you don't snorkel in the busy areas, do you still have to pay for a life vest? We have our own snorkel gear.

I couldn't find this covered elsewhere - can you pay for all the activities on Cococay the day you arrive? I was thinking the water slide and/or water activities for the kids. I wanted to wait and see what the weather was going to be like and didn't want to reserve ahead of time.

Also, if you don't snorkel in the busy areas, do you still have to pay for a life vest? We have our own snorkel gear.

You can pay for the slide and the aqua park after arriving..that's what we did. But if you want to do the waverunner or parasailing, these excursions do sell out, so you might want to consider booking those ahead of time. If the weather prohibits you from stopping at Coco, your excursion fee would be refunded.

My niece and nephew loved the slide, and it was worth $20 each for all day (they give you a wristband authorizing you to use it). They went on it many, many times because the line wasn't very long.

You pay for the aqua park by the hour...(just to clarify, the aqua park and the slide are two different things and two different charges). A colored wrist band is given to you which indicates to staff which hour you're authorized for. So, you will want to enter only on the hour so you will get your full hour's worth. It was on the half hour when we first inquired about the times, prices, and the staff told us we could go in then, but we would only get 30 minutes time and would be required to leave on the hour.

They will require you to wear a life vest for snorkeling in the designated snorkel areas, so if you don't own one, you will be required to rent theirs (It seems like it was $6.00 for just the vest--kindly correct me someone if that's wrong!). I don't know if you could get away with not wearing a vest if you snorkeled farther away from the snorkel area and the lifeguards...maybe someone else could address that.

I'll post a pic of the inflatable slide for you later on tonight.

Happy sailing!

Yes, you can pay for all activities once you are on the island. You will do this on your SeaPass card. The only activity that may be a problem would be the Waverunner excursion as it books up quickly. The waterslide is located inland a bit and the cost is $20 for all day. The Water park is $15 for one hour. The hour starts on the hour 10, 11, 12, etc. You can purchase a combo waterslide(all day) and water park (one hour) for $30. So you save $5.

Snorkeling without a vest is at your risk. If the lifeguards see you without one they will call you in and make you rent the vest for $6 (all day). Their island...their rules.

Again, everything on Coco Cay is paid for through your SeaPass card except the Straw Market and Hair Braiding area. These are cash only.

I'll let you in on another secret. Go to the right hand lines when you want lunch. Most people will be coming toward the grill area from the left and will just get in those lines. On the right side the lines move faster and are not as long.

Have fun.

I'll let you in on another secret. Go to the right hand lines when you want lunch. Most people will be coming toward the grill area from the left and will just get in those lines. On the right side the lines move faster and are not as long.

Have fun.

I didn't know about the combination aqua park/slide pricing--thanks Big Dog for adding that! The employee manning the booth wasn't very helpful when we were there and was more interested in her barbecue than helping guests! :)

And the food areas are duplicated...in other words, there will be more than one burger island, etc. As Big Dog wrote, if your line is long, move to the right or to another area. The lines look intimidating at first glance, but they're not really that bad.

I have 1 dughter who can swim and another that is just learning. Can the one that's can't swim wothout a lifejacket on still play at the water park? Thanks.

Gatorphin-they require a life jacket to go out to the aqua park. They have a huge rack of them and it's non-negotiable. Since the aqua park is not too far out, it looks like it would be shallow water, but it's not. The water is over your head...has to be to make sure no one gets hurt by climbing the equipment and falling off.

I have to be honest here as far as your girls are concerned. When we were there, the aqua park was dominated by older kids (teen agers) and adults, and it was ROUGH playing out there. My teenaged niece and nephew could have handled it, but my travel mates would not allow their 6 year old girl to go out there. There was just too much rough housing and little regard for the smaller kids, and we were afraid the 6 year old would get hurt.

Now...having said that...we traveled during the week before school starts, so we had tons of kids sailing with us. If you're sailing during a "low-kid" time, your daughters might be able to play safely. You'll just have to check it out. And regardless of the number of teens, you would need to go out there with them if you decide to let them do it, IMO.

The reason I say my niece and nephew COULD have handled it is that the kids had a waverunner excursion and hair braiding scheduled, so we could not fit the aqua park in until later in the afternoon. The employee at the booth told us to come back for the 3:00 pm opening. When we came back, they were closing it early. When I asked them about telling us to come back at 3:00, they basically said too bad, we decided to close early. So...the kids were disappointed, but then we just told ourselves that we would come back sometime and do it earlier! :)

Have a great time! :)

Thanks fourpaws! You're welcome--have a great time

And GO PIGS!

Maybe we'll meet in the SEC Championship. Like your coach Nutt.

We're finally looking up a little--it's been a rough few years. ;) Mitch Mustain is making a good freshman showing.

Did anyone get their hair braided at Cococay? If so, what did they charge?

We did this last year at Ocho Rios and loved it because then we did not have to fuss with our hair on formal nights! Saved lots of time with 2 teenage girls!

Thanks!

Yep, we did that too while at CocoCay. Rather than retyping a post I did from the other night, I'll just give you the link to that thread...scroll down and you'll see a pic I took of the price board. Remember that hair braiding is cash only--no seapass or credit cards. Have a great time! My teenaged niece loved it and loved going to school with her hair braided after we got back. :)

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=426124

If the link doesn't work when you click it on, just copy and paste it in your browser and see if that works. Sometimes an embedded link in a reply only works for a little while, then it gives an error message.

Hope this helps!

Archived