L*O*N*G Review of Star Princess 10/7 Cruise

LostFan#1

L*O*N*G Review of Star Princess

Canada/N.E. Cruise

10/7 - 10/14, 2006

As way of introduction, I sailed with my husband, his brother, and his wife. We are all in our 50s. This was our 4th cruise and the brother’s second. We have cruised with Carnival and Celebrity before. This was our first Princess cruise as well as our first cool weather cruise. We drove to Brooklyn from Frederick, Maryland, a 4.5 hour trip. The pier’s website has good driving directions, and we had no trouble finding the pier or with parking. Be prepared when you leave the ship. You must pay for parking before exiting the lot. You can pay before you leave the terminal (just have your parking stub with you), or you can pay when you get to the parking lot (you’ll have to go to your car to retrieve your parking stub). The machines take Visa and cash (maybe Master Card). But they do not take Discover card, a shock for me. Fortunately, I had the $128 in cash. Halfway through the trip, my mother-in-law grew critically ill, and the brothers plus the other wife left the ship in Bar Harbor and flew to Houston. Since our car was in NYC, I stayed on the ship. Princess was very accommodating with placing phone calls for us and getting us on the first tender to Bar Harbor. But I can tell you cruising alone is not much fun. DH’s mother passed away Sunday night, but he was able to talk to her briefly the night he flew in.

General Impressions - We found Princess to be sedate. This, no doubt, owed to the type of cruise. Of the over 2,000 passengers, only 45 children and 5 teens were on board (understandably), and the majority of the cruisers were over 50. The wait staff was also reserved. Certainly, Carnival is a “fun ship,” but Celebrity also spiced up the dining experience with, for instance, magic tricks at the table. I am not advocating a wild, party atmosphere, but a fun evening of crazy karaoke would have been nice as would the traditional feast-for-the-eyes midnight buffet! I did, however, enjoy the lack of speaker announcements and lack of photographers everywhere you turned.

Embarkation - This started off so smoothly. Long lines went quickly, and we were checked in by 12:30. Then the wait began. Someone said the Coast Guard was still inspecting, but I don’t know how accurate that was. We were given a number to board (never had that happen before), and we waited and waited and waited. Crowds amassed when their number was called, making embarkation seem more like a cattle call. We did not get on board until after 2pm.

Dining Room - We opted for traditional, early seating dining. We were not at all disappointed in the food. Excellent variety, and I especially appreciated how the menu included appetizers and main dishes that were always available (a shrimp cocktail, for instance, and broiled salmon). King crab legs were my favorite. The lobster, served as twin tails, was very good. Meat lovers and vegetarians alike will be satisfied. Desserts were so-so.

Our waiter was definitely a perfectionist and attentive to our needs, but he was not very personable. Nor was our ass’t waiter. That is fine; it was just a marked contrast to our other 3 cruises. It’s a small detail, but it wasn’t until halfway through the cruise that the ass’t waiter automatically brought iced tea to all of us, and that is all we 4 had been drinking. We routinely had to request iced tea refills. Whereas Carnival serves complimentary cappuccino and espresso after dinner, you will pay $2 here.

The Horizon Court had excellent variety for all meals. It is open 24/7. I never did see any chocolate-dipped strawberries, although these boards had led me to expect them late night. I heard about the free ice cream about 3pm, but I never did go. Otherwise, expect to pay for ice cream. There is no soft serve. The Horizon has two serving and seating areas, so we never felt crowded. At the entrance to the buffet is a hand sanitizer - thoughtful touch. Here the wait staff were very attentive. Set apart from the buffet are counters for hamburgers (avoid the veggie burger!!) and hot dogs or pizza (very good).

We ate breakfast only once in the dining room - I recommend that for the last day of your cruise. It is more relaxed there rather than fighting for a spot in the buffet.

The passengers dressed nicely. On formal nights, probably 20% of the men had tuxedos (we noticed because my husband wore one).

Entertainment - The Star outdid herself. Frequently, I found interesting venues conflicting with each other, so we had to choose. That meant one night missing out on the banjo player. I think we opted for the comedian instead; maybe it was the magician. Don’t!! Evidently, the banjo player was amazing. The magician was good. The Las Vegas-style shows were hit and miss. Some entertaining, others so-so. The comedians were fine, nothing special. The Elton John impersonator is excellent. Recent movies, such as “The Devil Wears Prada,” “Da Vinci Code,” “Cars,” “Click,” and “Over the Hedge” were shown in the large theater. Definitely attend the line dancing and ballroom dancing classes; the instructors are very good, Adrian especially. Did not attend the trivia shows; the Newlywed show was what you’d expect if you’ve been on any cruises, with any cruise line. The cruise director and his assistants are all high energy. The cruise director’s early morning show on the stateroom TV is informative.

This ship has so many pools, including several hot tubs!! One is under a retractable roof, and all have fresh water. While they were never packed, I saw people using the pools and tubs.

Stateroom - This is the first time we have sailed without our two children (now 18 and 21) in the room, so we felt like we had an enormous amount of space. We had an inside room, figuring with the sun setting early, only one day at sea, and the cooler temps, an outside room and/or a balcony would be unappreciated. The room was spacious, with a long closet, plenty of drawers and storage space, and a well-arranged bathroom. Shampoo, conditioner, and lotion are provided, as is a hair dryer (I never tried it). Our mattress was not very comfortable, but upon request, we got an egg crate the next day. We had requested a feather pillow and bath robes via the website and a phone call. Those were not in the room, but the steward took care of that. He was attentive and most unobtrusive.

Tips - We left the $10/day charge on our bill. Our understanding was that even if we removed them and opted to pay in cash, the cash tips would be distributed amongst the various employees anyway. While service was good, we did not feel we received any special service to warrant additional tips.

Weather - We were blessed with lovely weather. The only rain we had was overnight before Boston, Boston was the warmest port; it got to sunny and 75 that day. Dress in layers. In the mornings, if we were walking, I needed gloves and ear muffs. But with a backpack, you can take off layers as you need.

Leaves: This, of course, was our motivation for the trip. We left Oct. 7, and we pretty much missed the leaves in Canada. Leaves were just about peak in Bar Harbor, the best place for that to happen (Acadia Nat’l Park). Leaves were just starting to turn in Boston and Newport. I saw gorgeous scenery along the N.J. Turnpike coming home!

Day at Sea - Princess packed the day with activities: line dance lessons, a very basic digital photography class, a scavenger hunt, ballroom dance lessons, Passenger Feud, an art auction, a movie, the Captain’s Welcome Aboard party, and a show or two that night. Every night, you could find music to your liking in the various lounges.

Halifax - We arrived an hour early, so the town crier and bagpipers were not ready for us. But do plan to be on deck if your ship gets in at the scheduled time.

We had reserved a rental car with Avis ($50 Canadian), and we called from the visitor booth in the terminal once we got off the ship. They picked us up. (Oct. 9 was Canada’s Thanksgiving, so the rental agencies at the terminal were closed.) We drove to Peggy’s Cove, saving a considerable amount off the ship’s tour as well as off private tours. Granted, we did not learn the history of the area, as we would have with a guide, but we could also take our own time. Two ships were in port, so we had plenty of company at the lighthouse. It is beautiful, and the waves crashing along the shore make for great pictures. We had intended to continue our drive to Mahone Bay, but - holiday or not - there was road construction, and we experienced several delays before we finally decided to turn around and go back to town. We parked near the Public

Gardens and walked around there. I am sure the gardens are lovelier in the spring.

After we turned in the car, it was an easy walk through town to the boardwalk. Don’t miss the Freaky Lunchbox Candy Store. Unfortunately, it was closed for the holiday, but we could peak inside. We walked to and had lunch at the Harborplace Market. I would recommend Cap’t John if you want seafood, but several other eateries are in here. We walked the boardwalk - more places to eat, plus some (but not much) shopping.

Saint John - We also rented a car here, but we could walk to Avis ($54 Canadian). After you get off the ship, volunteers are friendly and very informative. We had checked tide schedules ahead of time so we could see Fundy Bay at low tide and then at high tide. It is pretty amazing. Some people were on a jet boat, but it was noisy, and it looked cold and wet to me!! From the Reversing Falls in the morning, we drove to Irving Nature Park (20 minutes), as we wanted to hike. This is a beautiful place, and we picked up trail maps outside the ship’s pier. You could spend the whole day hiking, but we found a two-hour trail that took us along the water and through the woods. I highly recommend this park. We came back into town, parked in a public lot, and went to the Old City Market to eat. I was anxious to try a lobster roll. I did; it was good. But when I had one in Bar Harbor the next day, I knew I had not really had a lobster roll! We then returned to the Reversing Falls, turned in the car, and walked the city (very doable). The Barbour General Store is free and interesting - a museum now, it had once been a general store.

Bar Harbor - This is a tender port, but since my family had to catch a plane home, we were given priority. Otherwise, expect a long line for a tender ticket (unless you have a ship’s tour).

We had reserved a tour of Acadia with the national park ($25). We missed the free shuttle that goes around Acadia; it shut down for the winter 2 days earlier. We were warned that the traffic through Acadia would be congested and not to hassle with a private car. Well, I wish we had. The roads were just fine. And taking a bus tour is a frustrating way to see Acadia. We had only 3 stops, which meant bypassing scores of other gorgeous scenery and vistas. With a car, you could stop whenever and for however long you want. With the almost-peak leaves, Acadia was stunning, and I hated seeing it so quickly (2.5 hour tour). But since I ended up alone in this port, I was glad - after all - we had not reserved a car. But I strongly recommend against the Oli’s Trolley or Acadia Tours. Not to disparage the guides, for they are so knowledgeable, but that doesn’t make up for the fast pace. And, yes, I understand why it has to be done this way; I am just disappointed to not have seen more and seen it more leisurely. Ideally, rent a car, and spend some time hiking. Or investigate At Your Service taxi; they probably would be as leisurely as you like.

After the tour, I walked around, on the prowl for a lobster roll. Not wanting to spend $15 near the dock, I ended up at the Chowder House on Cottage St (thanks to someone on this board!). My $10 lobster roll had to have 1/4 lb. of lobster chunks. It was amazing and so delicious. After eating, I walked the Shore Trail which skirts the water’s edge. Then it cuts back into town and through the city streets. You’ll enjoy the scenery, the water, the view of your ship, and then you’ll end up with the massive crowds in all the tiny shops!!

Boston - The terminal is, unfortunately, far from the heart of Boston. I heard someone say getting into town was a 15-minute walk; I do not know. I took the ship’s $12/rt shuttle to Quincy Market. I talked to a couple who opted for public transportation and were very pleased with the bus. I walked and walked the Freedom Trail, preferring my own pace, so I did not join a tour. I had a pamphlet guide of my own although I am sure I would have learned a lot from a guide. Still, I wanted to see all the Trail. I walked from Quincy Market to the old State House, hoping to get in on the 1st come-1st served free tour. On the week days, though, that departs only at 2pm. So I headed to the beginning of the Trail (Boston Common) and walked it all to the Bunker Hill monument. With a good guide in hand, you can learn enough about what you are seeing. I paid the $3 entrance fee to tour Paul Revere’s house. The line was too long to tour the Constitution, and after walking uphill to the Bunker Hill monument, I discovered it was closed for renovation. So, with the Hard Rock Café as a goal (I have pin collectors in my family), I retraced my steps along the Freedom Trail to its beginning again - and beyond. I spent some time in the Public Gardens. Do not miss them. So very beautiful.

Halfway along the Trail, at Quincy’s Market, you can be overwhelmed at the dining choices and stores.

Newport - We arrived several hours late. The Captain told us the night before we were heading into pilot whale breeding grounds, and since he and Princess were committed to preserving the environment, we would be going slowly . . . as in 4 hours late slowly. Approaching Newport, the ship’s generator faltered (9:30am, and people could not get coffee, hot water, or tea - yikes!!) and then stopped. Lights out. Ship at a standstill. After an hour, I think, we were on our way again. Obviously, many, many tours were cancelled. I had hoped to tour a mansion and walk the Cliff Walk. I could only do one and chose to hike. This is also a tender port. I did not rush for a ticket. After the 4 tenders left for the first run, then I went for a ticket. The ride to Newport is 20-25 minutes.

The Cliff Walk skirts the ocean, giving vistas of many of the mansions. It is quite a walk to the beginning of the Cliff Walk (20-30 minutes at a good clip). I learned later of the trolley! I believe it is $6 for on/off privileges for the day. The Cliff Walk is easy at the beginning and then gets a little challenging, but it is very doable. Exits appear along the way (you’ll walk along city streets to get back into town) if you get tired and don’t want to complete the 3 miles, or you can backtrack. Suggestion: take the trolley to and from the Cliff Walk if time is at a premium. Shops are everywhere near the pier. Since we had such little time here, the line to get a tender back was enormously long (an hour’s wait). I wish I could have seen one of the mansions. They looked amazing.

Debarkation - You’re issued colored luggage tags, and passengers depart accordingly. Unfortunately, I was in the very last group to leave; I was in my car at 12:15, and they had started getting passengers off by 8:30. I don’t know how many passengers opted to take their own luggage off, but it is nice that is offered. They may even be the first color called, which would be nice, but again, I am not sure about that.

I recommend this port-intensive cruise, and I am happy we tried Princess. If you’re still reading by now, I’ll be happy to answer any questions you might have.

Debbie

I don't think there's anywhere in Bar Harbor to rent a car, so the trolley tour is about the only option for visiting Acadia right now. I hope someone can prove me wrong because I would much rather rent a car! The trolley tour looks good but you're right, it will stink not being able to stop when we want. Looks like we have a big group from our Star 10-21 board going on the same trolley tour though, so that will make it more fun!

I'm sure you will have fun with all of you on the trolley, but if you'd like to get a car and see Acadia at your own pace, I did find this:

Hertz Rental Cars

Hancock County Airport

143 Caruso Drive Suite 5 Bar Harbor (Trenton), Maine US

Phone: 207-667-5017 Fax: 207-773-7529

Hours of Operation: Mo-Sa 0900-1630, Su 1000-1630. Effective October 31, 2006 Mo-Sa 0900-1630, Su closed.

Additional Information:

Formerly known as the Bar Harbor Airport

Located 15 miles from downtown Bar Harbor.

After Hours - After hour returns are allowed. Place completed rental agreement and keys in the drop box provided outside the main entrance door.

Pier - Cab fare will be reimbursed up to $20.00 with receipt.

Debbie

That car rental info is as close as I could find also. 15 minutes there and back, twice...an hour right there. It's kinda surprising there is not a place to rent a car within walking distance of the pier there.

15 miles is a little bit different from 15 minutes as all roads are secondary roads - most 1 lane and many areas are 25mph. I would plan on at least 1/2 hour (non-tourist time of year) each way. Mt. Desert Island is a big area for people to visit - mostly land vacations - it has only been the last few years that cruise ships have docked - the need for rental cars (other than cruise ship visits) is almost non-existant. (JMHO).

Enjoy! - any questions, just ask. Jan

The tender ride into Newport takes about 20 minutes, and the pier is in town. A long block to the left is a huge tourism center. Straight ahead is an historic district, and to the right are many, many shops and Memorial Drive, which is what will take you to the Cliff Walk.

Debbie

I don't think there's anywhere in Bar Harbor to rent a car, so the trolley tour is about the only option for visiting Acadia right now. I hope someone can prove me wrong because I would much rather rent a car! The trolley tour looks good but you're right, it will stink not being able to stop when we want. Looks like we have a big group from our Star 10-21 board going on the same trolley tour though, so that will make it more fun!

Renting a car in Bar Harbor is a problem. The only car rental places are at the airport in Trenton. We investigated but decided that too much time would be involved in getting and returning the car to make it practical. We arranged a private tour of Acadia NP with At Your Service Taxi and had a great time. We had a van that seats 6 (we only had 4 people) for $60/hour for up to 6 people. Our guide was great and very informative. We could stop when and where we wanted and were never rushed. I highly recommend this option particularly if you can get together a group of 4 or 6.

Excellent Review Debbie. Thank you so much. We are booked next year on the Explorer of the Seas sailing Sept 14. We appreciated reading about your port experiences. So sorry though for your families loss.

Debordo

Debbie,

My deepest sympathies to you and your family.

Sorry to hear you had to stay on the cruise by yourself. But, it was nice to read that you did venture off on your own to see the ports.

Can you tell me if they have the lobster, crab, shrimp seafood buffet on the first sailing?

Thanks for the nice review....

With my deepest condolences,

Chris

Archived