Do you exercise on vacation

bajathree

Every morning, port day or sea day, I'm on the ellipticals with a smile on my face. With a view like that, how could I pass? It's one part of the cruise that I most look forward to.

And the bonus, I indulge myself on cruises (who doesn't?) and still lose weight each time.;)

I am just curious. How many of you still exercise when you are on vacation? I walk 4-5 miles 4-5 times a week but never exercise when I am away. RC seems to be building bigger gyms on their ships, so am I the only one that doesn't use the gym when I am away?

Not me. At home I exercise six nights a week. Vacation is vacation ;-)

Yes. We're both marathon runners, so we actually NEED to run to keep our endurance up. We've tried a couple of the classes as well.

The treadmills can be a little tricky to run on when at-sea, so we like to run on the track on those days. (Early, of course - it becomes hazardous after about 10am.)

The fitness centers on the Voyager-class ships are amazing, including the nicest saunas that we've ever used.

Can someone explain Ship Shape dollars?

There will be a variety of fitness activities during the course of a day. It might be a class in the gym or an organized walk around the deck early in the morning. If you participate, they give give you a shipshape dollar. At the end of the cruise you can trade in your shipshape dollars for prizes such as water bottles, hats, t-shirts, etc. The activities will all be listed in the daily program and they usually have some sort of shipshape symbol next to them.

I exercise 4 to 5 times a week at home and on a cruise I look at the gym and say oopsie forgot my workout clothes! I never not even formal nights take the elevator always the stairs and I am never in my room or sitting on the cruise always on the go especially on port days where I try to walk everywhere and I usually end up losing a couple pounds on the cruise! Makes me happy. :)

okay.. what are ship shape dollars??? I didn't read all the posts.so if has been answered already I am sorry.. I am new to cruising (my first one coming up). Thanks in advance :)

OKAY>>> read the explaination.. thanks.. sorry for the double post and thanks again.

I usually do the Stairmaster on Sea Days after leaving the pool and before getting ready for dinner. I usually head to the gym just before my wife gets in the shower. When I get back to the room, she is usually finished showering and then I take my shower. The timing seems to work out just right.

I enjoy walking along the track every day, especially after dinner; it helps all the food to go down! We do not use the gym facilities, but we walk a lot and use the stairs instead of the elevators. I only gained two pounds last time, and ate considerably more compared to my normal routine. :D

DW and I do not exercise while on a ship however we never take elevators.

We climb stairs and we also make sure to use promenade deck to walk at least 1.5-2 miles every day.

That enables us to eat whatever we want and disembark without gaining too much weight. :D

DH and I usually go to the gym about 3-4x a week while on a cruise.

We just got back last week from the Navigator. Now. I'm still trying to figure this one out. I worked out 4 times the week I was gone (which mainly involved running a total of about 16 miles on the treadmill). I also took the stairs all the time. However. The scale still increased 7 pounds. Hmmmm.....I guess I really did eat wayyyyyyyy too much.

[quote name='gerif']I do on sea days - port days, I figure I do enough walking around. Also, try to take the stairs as much as possible - how else can I justify 2 desserts at every meal?????[/quote]
This is exactly what I do. I do a lot of very active side trips whil in port, but have been known to do the morning stretch or walk-a-mile before getting off in the morning. Sea days, I do a cardio on a treadmill. I do more on vacation simply because I don't have to worry about dishes, laundry, grading papers... etc...
As far as stairs go, I've only ever peeked in an elevator ONCE out of all my cruises just to see the carpet that tells you what day it was. I NEVER take the elevator, even when I'm wearing my formal night shoes!

Since I discovered the ship shape dollar thing this year, I was more motivated to get my water bottle and t-shirt. We even joined ping pong games to get them. Now I know what I want to aim for next time - more ship shape dollars. I do excercise more in summer (walks at night) but it has been cold here lately and well.............

Archived