Xpedition Questions - Help Needed

Liat

We are sailing on Xpedition on January 7. We would like to know what kind of clothing should we bring for the island excursions. Should we plan on wearing waterresistant hiking shoes, or Teva-type hard rubber sandals, or waterproof sneakers? I understand that the Lava surfaces are hard and sharp. Also; is it better to wear khaki twill pants (full length) or shorts? Is it necessary to carry your camera in a waterproof ziplock bag? Does anyone wear a jacket (or a dress) for dinner? Anything else we shoild know?

Thanks for any replies.

Phil and Edith

We are sailing on Xpedition on January 7. We would like to know what kind of clothing should we bring for the island excursions. Should we plan on wearing waterresistant hiking shoes, or Teva-type hard rubber sandals, or waterproof sneakers? I understand that the Lava surfaces are hard and sharp. Also; is it better to wear khaki twill pants (full length) or shorts? Is it necessary to carry your camera in a waterproof ziplock bag? Does anyone wear a jacket (or a dress) for dinner? Anything else we shoild know?

Thanks for any replies.

Phil and Edith

Do not pack anything formal. I wore my Rockports on all excursions . When we had a wet landing I wore aqua shoes and then put on my rockport walking shoes. Many people wore Teva type sandals and were quite comfy.

The dining is casual (t-shirts allowed) and not assigned tables.

I did put my camera in a zip lock bag. due to the ocean spray on the Zodiacs

Search for Xpedition and there are tons of info. You will love this cruise. So much wildlife and a very casual dress code.

Agree 100% Do the search on "Expedition" or "Galapagos" Look for the meatiest threads and you will have more info than you could ever want.

Two direct points...tevas for beach walks,running shoes for inland hikes. Follow the suggestions at the night time briefings from the naturalists...all will be clear.Also think about a protective underwater housing ,or a waterproof digital,e.g. Optio ...also comes in handy for snorkling and you won't worry about moisture.

Agree with other comments...do search for Just back from Xpedition...good thread with lots of information. Our daughter bought us and inexpensive protective plastic pouch for our cameras...it worked well. I think she got it at REI but there are many available. Just get the correct size. I use it for all trips where water spray might be a problem. We used disposable cameras for snorkeling because I had lost my regular UW camera. But...pictures were not great and memories would have been better. Water is not as clear as in the Caribbean. You'll love this very informal cruise.

Thanks to everyone for their help. I googled Xpedition and could not get much. The Xpedition roll call site on these boards has mostly inquiries about upcoming cruises, and little on cruises taken. I will be doing independent Galapagos research at the library where there should be a lot of material - maybe too much.

Thanks to everyone for their help. I googled Xpedition and could not get much. The Xpedition roll call site on these boards has mostly inquiries about upcoming cruises, and little on cruises taken. I will be doing independent Galapagos research at the library where there should be a lot of material - maybe too much.

Maybe you misunderstand...the "SEARCH" you do is found on the blue bar on the title page of these threads. Put in Galapagos or xpedition .Then highlight Celebrity forums and click on search---There is tons of info there.

The search isn't on google or on the roll calls but here. If you cant find it that wayjust keep scrolling back a few pages until you find Celebrity anyone recently back.

As a matter of fact hereit is -read it all

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=158948

Liat, Follow Drfun's advice and search on these boards. Forget the library. There's more good information here (from recent cruisers) than you will ever find anywhere else (no offense to Google or our nation's libraries)....

Dave :)

On our cruise, June 4/06, a number of people wore water shoes that looked exactly like jogging shoes so they didn't have to change. One family of four all wore Crocs for wet landings and loved them.

Bonnie :)

I remember reading somewhere that there was a departure fee maybe $30. for leaving Ecuador and needed cash or exact amounts??? does this ring true with any recent Expediation cruisers?

Our documents came today for our Novemeber 12 trip!!!!

I found my own answer 31.60 departure fee.

the cruise documents did not indicate a tour on our last day in Quito..I think I read somewhere that was the day they took you to the market for the great scarves etc. anyone recently returned that can verify this?

If not I will make sure we do our shopping before the cruise part. Or perhaps we can take a cab to the market any suggestions/

the cruise documents did not indicate a tour on our last day in Quito..I think I read somewhere that was the day they took you to the market for the great scarves etc. anyone recently returned that can verify this?

If not I will make sure we do our shopping before the cruise part. Or perhaps we can take a cab to the market any suggestions/

The scarves are everywhere including the airport on your way home.

Was the info re: the departure fee in your docs? How exciting that you got your docs. You'll be on your way before you know it. We're on the Xpedition right after you!

I also thought there was a tour the last day, or some sort of special dinner at a restaurant?

Was the info re: the departure fee in your docs? How exciting that you got your docs. You'll be on your way before you know it. We're on the Xpedition right after you!

I also thought there was a tour the last day, or some sort of special dinner at a restaurant?

Yes there was a farewll dinner at the opera house retaurant.

On our trip,about half went to the market and half chilled at the hotel.There are some really good shops there and many felt they wanted just to relax a bit with their new friends and say farewells.

The week is really busy and many were already shoped out. The last day in the Galapagos inPorta Ayora allows you to buy just about anything you want.

Archived