Carnival Miracle and Tenders...won't believe it

Scrufsmom

I decided to call Carnival Guest Access to inquire about their tenders. After reading several posts on here I realized that the ship doesn't dock at any of the ports. So this made me think....How is my DH going to get his scooter off the ship, onto the tender and back off? He is capable of walking short distances, but I have to do everything else regarding the scooter. Well, I called like I said and asked the customer service lady in Guest Access about getting help for the scooter. Her comment was just plainly......get a wheelchair because you won't be able to take the scooter on the tender, unless it folds up and I can carry it. I explained how the scooter can come apart, but into 4 pieces. 4 heavy pieces even though it is compact. I asked if someone could assist me and she said no. It would be better for me to have a wheelchair. Since this afternoons call I am extremely upset because this means we can't get off the boat at any of the ports. How does Carnival offer any person who is disabled help? It doesn't apply their ADA for everyone.

Has anyone been on the Exotic cruise and experience this? What have you done to experience all that the cruise line has to offer? Does this mean that a handicapped person can not fully enjoy a cruise now? I appreciate all who comment.

Thanks

We have never cruised Carnival for the very reason you are talking about. We were warned by numerous people that Carnival is not "handicapped friendly". Unfortunately, when it comes to tendering, I don't really know of a cruiseline that can help you. We are RCI die-hards, but when we went to Grand Cayman last year, we chose not to try to get off because it just looked way to dangerous. They told us they would help get the scooter on, but as we watched them load a man in a wheelchair, it made me way too nervous. From now on, we try to book cruises with ports that are not tendered, and those that are we will just enjoy the ship that day. One of our biggest complaints is that there are very, very few accessible excursions and tours, because the tour buses, cabs, etc., can't accomodate a scooter. But this is not necessarily the fault of the cruiseline, just the way it is. No matter how many strides have been made with the ADA, life is not always fair for a handicapped person. My hubby uses a Pride Rally and we live it everyday. Anyway, don't fret, just go with an open mind and enjoy your cruise.

Technically although the ADA does apply (in the broadest sense) to crusie ships that dock in the US, but the Access Board has not yet released the architectural guidelines (rules) for ships, so legally Carnival has not done anything wrong. They are addressing ship-owned tenders in the new rules, but this will mostly likely only apply to newly constructed ships. So tender ports will always be a problem.

You might want to look into renting a manual wc that you can take ashore with you. In the long run it will be better for navigating the bumpy streets, one step up doorways and steep curb-cuts where a scooter can bottom out. Plus you can have it delievered to the ship, and just leave it there when you go home. It would be a good way for your husband to enjoy more of the ports. Plus if you want to take a taxi, it folds up and will stow easily in the trunk, so you don't have to look around or book special accessible transportation (if it is even available).

But, even in tender ports if the weather gets bad they may prohibit even manual wc-users from boarding the tender. this is just a safety issue and sometimes it just happens . But in most cases you should be able to enjoy tender ports in a manual wc.

Candy

I decided to call Carnival Guest Access to inquire about their tenders. After reading several posts on here I realized that the ship doesn't dock at any of the ports. So this made me think....How is my DH going to get his scooter off the ship, onto the tender and back off? He is capable of walking short distances, but I have to do everything else regarding the scooter. Well, I called like I said and asked the customer service lady in Guest Access about getting help for the scooter. Her comment was just plainly......get a wheelchair because you won't be able to take the scooter on the tender, unless it folds up and I can carry it. I explained how the scooter can come apart, but into 4 pieces. 4 heavy pieces even though it is compact. I asked if someone could assist me and she said no. It would be better for me to have a wheelchair. Since this afternoons call I am extremely upset because this means we can't get off the boat at any of the ports. How does Carnival offer any person who is disabled help? It doesn't apply their ADA for everyone.

Has anyone been on the Exotic cruise and experience this? What have you done to experience all that the cruise line has to offer? Does this mean that a handicapped person can not fully enjoy a cruise now? I appreciate all who comment.

Thanks

I found Carnival extremely helpful to the handicap and does not warrant such criticism...your request was simply unreasonable. Just curious as to why you waited so long to do your 'homework' regarding this cruise??

Janet:

In all fairness to Scrufsmom, a lot of folks don't understand that tendered ports will be a problem. Many don't even know they are a problem until they arrive and are unable to tender. I gets tons of letters from people who this has happened to, and they hadn't a clue beforehand. It's not something that is well publicized by the cruise lines, and if you are new to all this then it's quite possible you will overlook it. Nobody is born knowing all this info -- we all have to learn it at one point or another. It sounds like Scrufsmom booked the cruise thinking she would be able to access all ports, then happened upon this website and subsequently found out that may not be the case with a scooter. It's my impression that she's just trying to mitigate damages and make the best of things. I can understand her frustration.

Candy

I have never cruised before and have booked my first cruise on Carnival in September. My husband is in a wc and I am well aware of the fact that we may not be able to tender into ports. The info is there, you just have to look for it. In my experience, i have found that when traveling with a wheelchair you can never do to much advance planning and research. I have found google searches to be a wonderful tool. I just type in disabled travel etc and get a wealth of information.

First and Foremost I would like to explain. For those of you who seemed upset over my post I apologize and to those of you who supported me....well, Thank You. My husband was injured a year ago and subsequently his injury has turned into a lifelong disability. We are learning and becoming more knowledgable everyday. When we booked this cruise I thought I had done my research very well, but evidently not well enough. With that in mind I really thought that the ship docked in the ports. My lesson is learned and I am the type of person who learns from my mistakes.

Upon contacting Carnival I thought that they would accomodate people in need especially while traveling to these ports. Handicapped individuals are already limited, so they need all the help they can get along with the support. Queenie2, I appreciate your input. I might just email you next time I need info.

Thanks

I have only cruised twice and will be cruising in just a couple of weeks. My husband is in a w/c. First time we cruised, we docked at all ports except the private island. There we used a manual chair and DH was lifted on to the tender and we had no problem. Even if the cruise line says they won't help there where plenty of men around and they all came running to help.

One port they had three steps up to the ramp to get off the ship. The day before we went out of another door and there where no steps. I asked for a piece of wood or something that could be used as a ramp. They looked around and could not come up with something. We ended up with me putting DH in manaul chair and them lifting him up the stairs and down the ramp. Then they carried his wheel chair off the boat and we did the same on the way back. I never assumed they won't help lift and carry. If they can't provide a way off the ship they had better help me get him off. What if there was a fire?

Last trip in Mexico, we tender out ok but coming back to the ship we got on a small tender and when we reached the boat the exit was up a flight of stairs. They wanted to carry my DH up a flight of stairs in a heavy electric tilt wheelchair, I would not allow it. Had we not been soaking wet from a short down pour I would have went back to Coz and waited for the larger tender. Thanksfully another passenger had a manual chair and I transfered him to it and they carried him up the stairs and his chair seperate. Just let me tell you they had a lot of trouble with the empty chair. I learned to ask now how the tender exits.

But all I can say I have never had anyone tell me they would not help. They always tell me oh yes he can get on the tender. Even after I show the this power chair.

Just go and expect help, I'm sure you will get it. Oh yes tip them.

While my husband was alive we went on over 25 cruises in 10 years - about 8 of them on Carnival. And, I have to agree with Janet19 that I found Canival to be handicap friendly.

I know Carnival's HC cabins, particularly on their older ships, are not as big as several other lines and they do not have tender or pool lifts like RCCL (which never seemed to be working.) However, years ago they averaged 20 HC cabins per ship when most lines only had 4 or 5.

Most importantly, Carnival we often found their service to be more HC friendly than any other line. For example:

- On our first Carnival cruise, when we only took my husband's power chair, one of the crew members at the gangway realized it would be difficult to get it down so he volunteered to lend us a manual chair.

- Twice, Carnival called passengers booked in HC cabins and moved AB passengers for us.

- Before our last Carnival cruuise, on the Elation, I called thier special needs desk about transportation. During our conversation the rep noticed that although we had a HC cabin, it was not one of the better equipped ones. She not only moved us, but also got us the upgrade to that cabin at a fraction of the price differential.

- I wrote Carnival after several cruises suggesting ways to improve accessibility. Each time I received a gracious letter reply thanking me and indicating that they would review my suggestions with their hotel manager. I do not know if any changes were made, but at least they made me feel good. When I did the same after RCCL cruises, I would get defensive responses, often blaming me and lecturing me about ship accessibility when I knew more than the person writing the letter. My favorite was when I made easily implemental suggestions after a cruise on the Serenade. RCCL's response was not all ships are equally accessible and that we should not expect to go ashore at a list of tender ports. I was amused by it because the Serenade was less than 6 months old and the list of tender ports included several 2 where my husband had been able to go ashore and several where ships now dock.

We went on the Disney Wonder in June of 05 with a 16y/o who's wheelchair bound. We docked at Nassau and Castaway Cay so the were minimal problems. We opted not to book any shore excursions and wing it the whole trip. In Nassau we had a taxi (van) take us to Atlantis. I might add she uses a manual WC but it is kind of heavy because of a lockdown system attached to the bottom.

I agree with Sarahsmom85, I've helped many folks in wheel chairs and even needed help a few times. I have no problem explaining how to get from point A to point B to make a safe transfer.

We are pro's at the whole wheelchair thing (18 years experience now), but I can see how someone who's been thrust into the situation might overlook some details. Even we overlook things.

My advice. Know exactly what you want and be open to suggestions on how to get it. Most of the folks that will be helping you will look to you for guidance.

• 2 weeks later...

Because of the way my Mom (who uses a wheelchair) has been treated she will "only" sail Carnival. No Mom has mobility issues due to back problems, Osteoporosis and Parkinson's and whenever they what to put us in a Handicap Cabin, I have to decline since she can get around the cabin, just not long standing or walking, and she wouldrather that someone that realy needs that cabin be able to get it (I book Cat. 11"s so lenty of room to get-around in).

Boarding - either in home port or docked ports, usually a security person or some other crew member takes over driving it for us and will ensure that she gets through the security scanner and all with no muss or fuss. Dining Rooms - the Maitre 'D and the wait-staff go out of their way to make sure she is in an area (which the wheel her to, we've had wait-staff meet us every night at the entrance to the dining room just to make sure she gets settled okay) that easily fits the wheelchair and is comfortable. Because of the Parkinson's the Wait-staff usually during the first nights dinner, see's she has trouble cutting her meal, so they offer to do it and continue to do it every meal there-after. Muster-Drill - our first cruise I asked about this and was told to go to Muster Station about 15 minutes before the drill so we could use the elevators and the crew always releases us before everyone else so we have a shot at getting to the elevators before the thundering herd. Tendering - At every tender port we have gone to, the crew have stopped the line of able-bodied, helped her out of the wheelchair, 2 crew-men help her down the steps, onto the tender and into a seat, while another one brings her wheelchair onto the tender for us, and then it happens in reverse on the pier getting off and the same way when we come back from port ........... she thinks they are wonderful and loves Carnival for the care and consideration she gets from them.

Mom is now 81 and just finished her 7th cruise on Carnival and we have 4 more booked (1 for this December and 3 for next year) she can't wait. I'm not taking issue with those who have an issue with Carnival ......... this is just our experience.

• 2 weeks later...

If it is rough, or predicted to be rough, the ship may not allow her to go ashore. On RCI cruises we have been on before, we have not had a problem getting ashore in a manual wheelchair. You should talk with Special Services at RCI prior to the cruise to find out how much (if any) advance notice they will need for making tender wheelchair arrangements. Usually 24 hours is sufficient.

Can she stand to transfer? If so, then transferring to cabs may be better than trying to get her onto buses or vans which will require several steps.

Archived