Question for the exceptionally tall

BSQ

Is there anyone out there who is over 6’5” tall?

Would you find more, fewer or about the same annoyances when taking a cruise vs land vacation? Things like dinner tables being too short (when you sit your knees are higher than the table top), chairs being too narrow for your hips, scraping your knuckles on the ceiling while pulling on a shirt? How are the showers? Did you have headroom, did the shower head adjust enough to at least hit your upper chest?

any preferred cruise lines?

My deceased husband was 6'7" and a big guy overall. We cruised on Celebrity, Radisson (now Regent) and NCL and he didn't have any problems in the dining room at all. The shower wasn't that much of an issue because it did have a detatchable shower head. He had to duck his head to enter and exit the cabins and if we didn't fly first class it was a disaster. Don't have that problem any longer my (not so new husband anymore) is 5'11".

My 18 year old is 6' 3" and still growing. He still sleeps in an upper on the Carnival ships and has no problems with that, the shower or at dinner. We head out again in a couple of months on the Fantasy for Christmas.

Cate, thank you very much for your reply. Your mere mention of 1st class flights made me nod my head and say "oh she knows exactly what I'm getting at". We're looking at NCL for our cruise, so I was also happy to see that you mentioned having gone on at that line.

Thanks also LHP, unfortunately BubbaQ would consider your son a shorty. ;) (He's closer to 7' tall I just use 6'5 as a jumping off point)

My DH is 6'5" and after battling regular cabins about Princess, we changed out for suites. The extra price is worth him being able to take a shower in relative comfort and the beds are (usually) long enough. he's never had any problems with doorways (except when we were in Japan and China), tables were always high enough, although on the last cruise, he forgot his dress shirt and the Purser's desk really scrambled to get one big enough for him. Not only did they find one that fit - they brought him two. This is why we choose Princess.

Hey, I love 'having' to fly first class. One of the perks of being married to someone who's over a foot taller than me.

Charlie

thanks for that input spikes girl. If something like your dress shirt experience happened to us, they would definitely have our business for life as well.

As with just about anything, we're used to paying a little bit more to be more comfortable, so a suite has definitely been something I am considering as well.

Is there anyone out there who is over 6’5” tall?

Would you find more, fewer or about the same annoyances when taking a cruise vs land vacation? Things like dinner tables being too short (when you sit your knees are higher than the table top), chairs being too narrow for your hips, scraping your knuckles on the ceiling while pulling on a shirt? How are the showers? Did you have headroom, did the shower head adjust enough to at least hit your upper chest?

any preferred cruise lines?

Im 6'5" I have more problems on airplanes (legroom). Dining room, cabin are fine. Shower is tight, but that is true for most everyone. Sometimes I have to watch my head in the hallways and on the tenders.

Dining tables are ok as I mentioned. I think the more rotund would have problems with the chairs.

thanks chasetf. Good to know. While bubbaQ is a tall one, he's an average weight for his height, it's sounding like all will be good for him.

he's used to watching his head when walking in enclosed spaces, but has been known to knick his knuckles on a ceiling when putting on a shirt, or hitting the ceiling fan when stretching. :eek:

I'd say that's pretty common for most really tall folks Amlee, and just something we've gotten used to. (heck MY feet hang off the edge of most beds). We have a Cal King at home, and yes, BubbaQ's feet hang over the edge. He does OK qwhen we are traveling as long as the beds don't have footboards. Otherwise he'll start invading MY side :mad: . Bless his heart.

Archived