Will the Cruise ships still go to Iceland

Shogun

Hi Folks,

Iceland has started hunting whales again, do they not understand that the reason the cruise ships were stopping there apart from its some place new interesting etc was to let us go Whale watching.

I was wanting to go next year, will now not go, I want to see whales in the wild not see them getting hunted.

yours Shogun

Hi Folks,

Iceland has started hunting whales again, do they not understand that the reason the cruise ships were stopping there apart from its some place new interesting etc was to let us go Whale watching.

I was wanting to go next year, will now not go, I want to see whales in the wild not see them getting hunted.

yours Shogun

There is a whole lot more to stopping in Iceland that just whale watching. It is a wonderful and very interesting port, though quite expenisve. No, this will not cause cruise lines to quit stopping there. NMnita

Hi Folks, Iceland has started hunting whales again, do they not understand that the reason the cruise ships were stopping there apart from its some place new interesting etc was to let us go Whale watching. I was wanting to go next year, will now not go, I want to see whales in the wild not see them getting hunted. yours Shogun

Never heard of a whale watching tour on a whaling ship. Guess it depends if the cruise lines want to make a political statement.

Of course it is still an individuals option to make that statement and go see their whales in Alaska. ;)

Shogun,

The US Navy has admitted that their high powered sonar is injuring and killing countless whales and dolphins.

The US Navy has 1000's of ships that use NO pollutiuon controls of any kind. Every day of the year they dump millions of gallons of nuclear, petroleum, plastic, food, sewage, and other wastes directly into the ocean, killing whales, dolphins, and just about everything else.

Should cruise ships stop going to America?

Shogun,

The US Navy has admitted that their high powered sonar is injuring and killing countless whales and dolphins.

The US Navy has 1000's of ships that use NO pollutiuon controls of any kind. Every day of the year they dump millions of gallons of nuclear, petroleum, plastic, food, sewage, and other wastes directly into the ocean, killing whales, dolphins, and just about everything else.

I'm not sure what your post has to do with the original post, but as a 26 year veteran of the Navy I would be interested in where you got your "facts".

Cheers,

Shogun,

As a 22 year naval veteran: I say, site your sources.

Shogun,

Prove it. I have been on my husband's ships and seen what measures they take to prevent polluting the water and environment. ESPECIALLY with petroleum, plastics and other non biodegradable waste. waste is offloaded inport, NOT underway.

Hi Folks,

I posted this story about whales because I like whales I think killing them is wrong, I also think that you can make more money and keep more people in work showing whales doing what whales do etc. compared to killing them

Now I have seen whales of St Lucia and off Portugal I hope with in a year or to to see them off Canada or Alaska, I also wanted to see them when I went to Iceland, but with that country going back to the bad old days of whale killing ,I can make my own little protest and not go there.

Now in times gone by my family had whalers amongest them, I am also related to a famous whaler whose ship got stuck in ice and was one of only three men to make it back alive, but these times are in the past.

The closest I get to a whale these days is on a cruise or on a tour

yours Shogun

Shogun,

Not True. The Navy follows environmental guide lines better than the cruise industry saving all that stuff for proper unloading and disposal in port. BTW the cruise industry is doing a great job environmentally, but the Navy is doing even better.

Shogun,

Your post is just plain strange... for one, it would be wonderful if we did in fact have "1000's" of ships, but we just don't. And even stranger is what this has to do with Iceland allowing whaling again. The US Navy is at the top as far as being enviromentally aware of thier waste disposal. Like others have already said, I'd love to see your sources for this information and I'd love to understand what exactly this has to do with whaling.

Hi Folks,

yours Shogun

Just curious if this means you refuse to go to the other two whaling countreis: Japan and Norway. Given the moniker you use here (Shogun) it is particularly intersting. :)

Questions such as you pose are always difficult. Does one refuse to go to Country X becasue of their stance on Z? Well, I'm a bit of a world traveler and there are some countries I will not go to for my Z reasons. There were several countires -- and several states -- I would not open offices in because of my Z reasons. Does not make me right (or wrong <grin>).

Paul

Hi Folks,

I posted this story about whales because I like whales I think killing them is wrong, I also think that you can make more money and keep more people in work showing whales doing what whales do etc. compared to killing them

Now I have seen whales of St Lucia and off Portugal I hope with in a year or to to see them off Canada or Alaska, I also wanted to see them when I went to Iceland, but with that country going back to the bad old days of whale killing ,I can make my own little protest and not go there.

Now in times gone by my family had whalers amongest them, I am also related to a famous whaler whose ship got stuck in ice and was one of only three men to make it back alive, but these times are in the past.

The closest I get to a whale these days is on a cruise or on a tour

yours Shogun

you can love whale, not want to see them killed, but if you think this has anything to do with cruise ships stopping in Iceland you are dead wrong. As I said earlier, there are many wonderful things about Iceland as a port that have nothing to do with Whales. NMnita

Hi Folks,

There is almost 100,000 people like me who have told the goverment of Iceland that we will not visit there country in protest at them killing whales but will vist if they stop.

There must come a point when money from visitors means more to the people of Iceland than what can be made from killing whales.

yours Shogun

Hi Folks,

There is almost 100,000 people like me who have told the goverment of Iceland that we will not visit there country in protest at them killing whales but will vist if they stop.

There must come a point when money from visitors means more to the people of Iceland than what can be made from killing whales.

yours Shogun

This is not going to affect the cruise lines one way or the other, I can almost guarantee you. I am not saying whether I approve of what is happening or not, just stating a fact.....NMnita

Just curious if this means you refuse to go to the other two whaling countreis: Japan and Norway.

Paul

Interesting that no one has come back on this one! I thought the same when I first saw the post (not that I knew about either until the news stories about Iceland - apparently Japan take 1000 for scientific purposes, but according to the story I heard, they never publish any information / results)

I am already booked next year for Iceland AND Norway :eek: - can't cancel (we lose the deposit in UK on cancelling), so just have to hope it won't affect the trip (and hope that the price doesn't drop hugely - we don't get fare differences back either - cos that would be irritating)

I chose to go to iceland for pleasure of visiting the country itself - volcanos, geysers etc. & for a slightly cooler option (I booked within a few weeks of returning from a very hot Med cruise and the associated sunbed issues - but now, as it cools here, I am looking for a warming hol later next year :D can't find another cruise, hot enough, but short enough tho :()

Karen

Interesting that no one has come back on this one! I thought the same when I first saw the post (not that I knew about either until the news stories about Iceland - apparently Japan take 1000 for scientific purposes, but according to the story I heard, they never publish any information / results)

I am already booked next year for Iceland AND Norway :eek: - can't cancel (we lose the deposit in UK on cancelling), so just have to hope it won't affect the trip (and hope that the price doesn't drop hugely - we don't get fare differences back either - cos that would be irritating)

I chose to go to iceland for pleasure of visiting the country itself - volcanos, geysers etc. & for a slightly cooler option (I booked within a few weeks of returning from a very hot Med cruise and the associated sunbed issues - but now, as it cools here, I am looking for a warming hol later next year :D can't find another cruise, hot enough, but short enough tho :()

Karen

Well, whaling aside, Iceland is a rather interesting place. Expensive, but interesting. Physical features aside also, it is:

a) the most homogenous population in Europe and near the top in the world. THis is one of the reasons why the human genome project used Icelanders for the initial study.

b) The oldest respresentative government in the world. The parliment there has been going for over 1,000 years.

c) Icelandic is little changed from Old Norse. A Icelander can actual understand the epics about Hrothgar and Grendal -- that's like the average bloke on the street picking up Chaucer for a light read.

d) Extremely well educated population.

d) No family names. Merely "son of" or "daughter of" stuff.

All of this really has a bit to do with the original topic. Icelanders see whaling as part of their heritage. This is the reason -- not economics -- for the whaling there. It makes the discuss a bit more complex, I think.

Japan's "scientific" whaling is polite nonesense. No one believes it; no one is expected to believe it.

Paul

Archived