Flightsee McKinley or Don't Flightsee McKinley?

tapia

I've decided not to take the bus into the national park b/c both myself, my husband, and my mother get bus-sick. So, I'm not sure it would be a memorable experience for any of us & I don't want to chance it.

So, I do have an option to flightsee Mt. McKinley from either Anchorage or Talkeetna.

Is this a must do? Would it be fabulous? Or, is it wise to just relax for the day in Anchorage for the day visiting places?

Thanks all!

You perhaps have the wrong idea about the Denali Park buses. They essentially crawl along slowly, stop frequently and getting "bus sick" isn't something you see?? They stop every 90 minutes for bathroom breaks, time to get out and walk around. You probably need to be far more concerned with motion sickness on the cruise- which I always see.

But McKinley flightseeing is spectacular, again, good possibility of motion sickness to consider- I've seen sick people on flights. But if the mt is a priority to view, then this is the best way, in my opinion.

Have you considered the Denali Park day trip from Talkeetna? There's a toursaver coupon for that, too: http://www.toursaver.com/alaskatraveltour.php?id=106&travel=Talkeetna-Aero-Services

I actually have considered that as well. I also see they do one from Anchorage--I wonder if I could upgrade the ticket.

I'm just not sure how we would be on a bus for the entire day...... Maybe I do have the wrong idea of the buses.

Are the buses extremely slow along the way? Maybe I should take my motion sickness patch starting earlier than the actual cruise.....

Thanks!

Are the buses extremely slow along the way? Maybe I should take my motion sickness patch starting earlier than the actual cruise.....

I take Meclizine (Bonine) for motion sickness, and I do it before airline flights, theme park rides, etc. I may be taking it every day of our sea and land trip!

I take Meclizine (Bonine) for motion sickness, and I do it before airline flights, theme park rides, etc. I may be taking it every day of our sea and land trip!

I've never heard of that........but, I did take the 'patch' on my last cruise and swear by it!

I've never heard of that........but, I did take the 'patch' on my last cruise and swear by it!

My point was - whatever you use for motion sickness on the ship, you may want for some land activities, too - especially if you think you'll be "bus-sick."

My mom and I took the park bus to Fish Creek; about 8 hours round trip. Here are my pitures from the day. As someone said earlier, the bus really never picks up much speed and stops often for breaks. It does get a little hairy around some of the turns as you gain altitude :eek:

http://travel.webshots.com/album/553114435WxjOZX

Thanks for posting the pics--the scenery looks fantastic.

Can you tell me your top reason for going to Denali?

My opinion only, Denali Park is one of the top destinations in Alaska. This is an area just loaded with spectacular scenery and your best bargain around for wildlife.

I get slammed at times for being so harsh on the worthlessness of the Natural History tour- but factually, anyone who have been into Denali park would NEVER say this was enough with all the time, distance, expense it takes to get there. I'm not into sugar coating and will never recommend anything I wouldn't consider for myself- bottom line. If not of interest, then route to the south with the Kenai Peninsula or east to Valdez, Kennicott. The 16 miles of public road is what I drive several times during my stay to "fill IN" time, in no way would that be enough of a trip for me even if I were limited on time.

So I guess my point is- if you wish to invest the time in getting to Denali Park- get in an see it. I make what I think is a very accurate comparism, without getting into at least Fish Creek is like seeing Disneyland from the parking lot.

If this isn't for you- then make some other plans, the state is loaded with plenty of excellent adventures to consider.

And definately if you are dependent on the patch for your cruise, it certainly can be extended for other motion sick potential areas, consult your health care professional for advice.

Thanks for posting the pics--the scenery looks fantastic.

Can you tell me your top reason for going to Denali?

Aside from my own desire to see Alaska, my main reason for the trip was my mom. She is 73 and has talked about going to Alaska "someday". I told her that someday needed to be soon so she could still enjoy the trip! I started researching and found the cruise I wanted to take, then starting looking at what to do a week before boarding. Budget Queen was full of great ideas, and from there I spent hours on the computer searching, studying and filing info away. I knew I had to base our time in Alaska on things my mom could physically enjoy. I loved all I read, and pictures I saw of Denali and decided that the drive and a few days spent there would work well for us. I bought a Milepost and read about everything on our route, highlighting areas I thought would interest us. Lucky for us our first two days in Alaska were beautiful and we were lucky enough to have great views on McKinley. A local in one of the shops we visited en route to Denali, recommended we detour to Talkeetna Lodge for the best views of the mountain, so we diverted there for some great pictures. We stayed at a small B & B in Healy, based on what I read on the boards, and on their website. This was one of the most relaxing places we stayed. http://www.denalilakesidelodging.com/

Pictures from our stay there: http://travel.webshots.com/album/553114426gpwGOu

Hope this helps. I think the best way to plan is to decide what works for you. We watched the flightseeing planes taking off when we were taking pictures at Talkeetna, but I knew before we got there that it was cost prohibitive for my mom if we did that plus everything else we had planned. Keep reading and I am sure it will all fall into place!

Thank you so much for the information. BQ~I appreciate you posting your pictures. They are gorgeous. Are all of those Denali?

So, am I right in assuming the bus crawls along? Did you get bored for the full 8 hours?

@gail811: Your pictures are also great. Thank you for posting them! I will take all options under consideration. Thanks!

Thank you so much for the information. BQ~I appreciate you posting your pictures. They are gorgeous. Are all of those Denali?

So, am I right in assuming the bus crawls along? Did you get bored for the full 8 hours?

@gail811: Your pictures are also great. Thank you for posting them! I will take all options under consideration. Thanks!

The Denali Park photos should be mostly labeled??? All the snow photos were 9-1-05, including the bear sliding down the hill. :) Moose and tundra photos are Denali Park. McKinley is from the Parks Highway at the pull off about mile 130.

I am never bored, you do see plenty of "nappers" on the return trip, but so what. :) If something is sighted, they usually wake right up. :) I would suggest, if you do go into Denali park go with the Fish Creek shuttle rather than Wonder Lake, due to your concerns. I most always go to Wonder Lake, and never anything but spectacular for me. My opinion, only.

In the Alaska 05 album, they just say Picture & then a number, but no label. Maybe I'm missing something? All of them do look great though.

The Alaskan Winter shots also look GORGEOUS!

Thank you very much for your opinions on shuttles, I am going to highly consider it now.

@ gail811 - 8 hours still seems a lot to look at and be excited over.

When do people eat on the bus?

Actually it goes very quickly. Between just looking out the bus windows, stops for bathroom breaks, shuttle bus driver's commentary, and stopping for wildlife you would be surprised.

The scenery changes as you drive along the park road from the entrance to Wonder Lake - at first fairly flat, then over a mountain pass, then not so hilly for a while, then climb in elevation, then flatter again between about miles 70 and 85. The last portion closer to Wonder Lake is prime moose viewing area (though you can see moose in other places too).

You can eat whenever you want. I usually "snack" a little at a time. You can eat on the bus. You can also eat while stopped at the rest stops (they are usually 10-15 minutes each, depending on how long your bus might have stopped for wildlife viewing). Bring a small day pack and keep your food in there.

In the Alaska 05 album, they just say Picture & then a number, but no label. Maybe I'm missing something? All of them do look great though.

The Alaskan Winter shots also look GORGEOUS!

Thank you very much for your opinions on shuttles, I am going to highly consider it now.

They have changed the format on webshots, there is a brief label when full screen. But the Denali Park photos taken there are on page 2, photo 140- 209 with the exception of McKinley which was taken from the Parks Highway. If going to Fish Creek, you will have about a 30-45 min. stop there, enough time for lunch. If you want to spend your time in the visitor center there, you can have your lunch started on the bus before you leave and just finish as you go. :) My main meal is peanut butter and jelly sandwiches- just can not consider much with out refridgeration. :) I do take a small cooler for my soda. Pack a box of crackers, a 4 pack of muffins for breakfast/snack, and I'm HAPPY. :)

I'm subscribed, so I got BQ's post via e-mail. But, I can't view it on the normal screen--is that odd? But, then when I hit reply, I see the post. Oh well.

@fti: I can't imagine 8 hours going quickly, but I guess there will be a lot to see. I'm just nervous about the bus-sickness. But, I'm going to take a swing at going.

@BQ: I see what you're talking about with the photos. I was trying not to view full screen since my computer has been acting up lately. When I get home tonight, I'll take a better look. It's nice you get a longer stop at Fish Creek :-) Thank you for all your advice!

[Nod]

Same here. I get motion sick just driving mountain roads. So last cruise, I just started taking Bonine the morning of the flight, and every morning after. Even took one for shore excursions, just to be safe, because we were on the move on busses etc. I plan on doing the same for both the land and sea portions of our trip next year.

Life is so much more pleasant when you're not motion-sick! :)

Linda

How long did you take Bonine for? I'm just afraid 2 weeks is too long--guess I'll have to consult my doctor. I just hope it will work.

I took it the whole cruise, plus a few days post-cruise, because I had a touch of "land-sickness" after, so say about 10 days. Next year I plan on taking it for about 16 days.

Yes, do consult your doctor. For me, I had absolutely no side-effects whatsoever. Dramamine does a number on me, but the Bonine was amazing. I never even got the "dry-mouth", and I did have an ocassional drink without any repercussions.

If you want to see if it works before actually waiting until you're on vacation, I would suggest a test run. Take one in the morning, then take a drive, preferably on some hilly winding roads. If you can get someone else to drive, sit in the back seat. That should do it. [grin]

Linda

Archived