Driving Anchorage to Denali

bbjaspan

After our NB Celebrity Summit cruise we will be doing a 6 night land tour on our own. We will spend the first 2 days (one night) in the Seward area, then take the train to Anchorage and pick up a rental car the next morning, Sunday, to drive north. We will spend some time that day in the Mat-Su area, driving up to Palmer/Independence Mine, etc. Is the scenery the main thing there, or should we take the time to tour the Mine as well?

We'll probably stop in Talkeetna to look around, have lunch if it's the right time... (We won't be doing flightseeing.) My question is, how much time should we allow for the drive from Talkeetna to Denali? What is there to see along that part of the route? Will we find things/scenery to stop for? We're trying to decide if we should stay somewhere overnight before we get to the Denali area, or just do Anchorage to Denali in one day?

Thanks for your help!

Hi bbjaspan... maybe you read my reply to your question on the other thread and it wasn't of interest, or, maybe you missed it? I added some photos if you care to look at some views in the mine area. We enjoyed walking around the mine site, although we were too early in the season to tour the museum/buildings.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=427366&page=3

I hope you get input from other's as well.

:)

Hi bbjaspan... maybe you read my reply to your question on the other thread and it wasn't of interest, or, maybe you missed it? I added some photos if you care to look at some views in the mine area. We enjoyed walking around the mine site, although we were too early in the season to tour the museum/buildings.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=427366&page=3

I hope you get input from other's as well.

:)

Oops! I never did see your excellent reply to my question. I think what must have happened is that several people replied and when I followed my e-mail notification, I just saw the last 2 and not yours which was earlier. Thank you for pointing me back there and for the wonderful photos. We will definitely take the drive to the Mine. Haven't decided whether we'll take the time for the tour, or use that time to get to Denali that day.

Barbara

You'll do a little mountain driving with some great views.

Probably take just over 2 hours to drive.

If referring to Talkeetna-Denali Park-

Being it's about 150 miles, you need more than 2 hours, I would suggest an allowance of 4 with time for stops. There is the potential for plenty of interests along the way. Don't be on a tight time schedule.

After our NB Celebrity Summit cruise we will be doing a 6 night land tour on our own. We will spend the first 2 days (one night) in the Seward area, then take the train to Anchorage and pick up a rental car the next morning, Sunday, to drive north. We will spend some time that day in the Mat-Su area, driving up to Palmer/Independence Mine, etc. Is the scenery the main thing there, or should we take the time to tour the Mine as well?

We'll probably stop in Talkeetna to look around, have lunch if it's the right time... (We won't be doing flightseeing.) My question is, how much time should we allow for the drive from Talkeetna to Denali? What is there to see along that part of the route? Will we find things/scenery to stop for? We're trying to decide if we should stay somewhere overnight before we get to the Denali area, or just do Anchorage to Denali in one day?

Thanks for your help!

If you plan an early start, your list is doable. Just consider taking your time. The Mine tour is excellent, if you have time consider including it.

Once you leave the area just north of the Talkeetna spur road (Trapper Creeek), your eating choices are limited. There's the McKinley Princess (about an hour north of Talkeetna spur road?). After that, there's not much until Cantwell, where I don't recommend eating a meal (used to, but after a couple of unenjoyable meals, I skip it). And then there's the Denali area. http://www.alaskajourney.com/denali/parks.html

If you plan to go Anchorage to Denali in one day, with stops at Hatcher Pass and Talkeetna, take plenty of snacks so that you aren't rushing to get to a place to get a meal.

Once you leave the area just north of the Talkeetna spur road (Trapper Creeek), your eating choices are limited. There's the McKinley Princess (about an hour north of Talkeetna spur road?). After that, there's not much until Cantwell, where I don't recommend eating a meal (used to, but after a couple of unenjoyable meals, I skip it). And then there's the Denali area. http://www.alaskajourney.com/denali/parks.html

If you plan to go Anchorage to Denali in one day, with stops at Hatcher Pass and Talkeetna, take plenty of snacks so that you aren't rushing to get to a place to get a meal.

Thank you. It makes it so much easier to plan when we have this kind of information. :)

Unless, it is being referred to above as having slacked, I have eaten plenty of times at the Lazy J in Cantwell, for excellent meals. Hopefully Mytime will confirm, what eating areas??

The Perch is also excellent, although closer to Denali Park.

ALSO be aware, your last opportunty for full service grocery is Wasilla. Vitally important to stock up if you are taking shuttle buses into Denali Park. I frequently pick up a 4 pack of muffins, the handy container keeps them fresh and in one piece. :) Soda is a must for me as well as my trusty peanut butter and jelly, along with some good bread. :)

You also need to allow for the usual road construction projects which can slow you down. Last summer, some construction brought traffic to a standstill for at least 30 minutes. It's the norm up here in the summer.

Thanks for the tip.

Unless, it is being referred to above as having slacked, I have eaten plenty of times at the Lazy J in Cantwell, for excellent meals. Hopefully Mytime will confirm, what eating areas??

The Perch is also excellent, although closer to Denali Park.

ALSO be aware, your last opportunty for full service grocery is Wasilla. Vitally important to stock up if you are taking shuttle buses into Denali Park. I frequently pick up a 4 pack of muffins, the handy container keeps them fresh and in one piece. :) Soda is a must for me as well as my trusty peanut butter and jelly, along with some good bread. :)

GREAT TIP re the Wasilla grocery! I would never have thought that the Denali area would be lacking that.

And thanks for the restaurant info.

Make sure you buy and use THE MILEPOST................it will tell you every little bump in the road so you don't miss anything.

I found Mary's in the Milepost; it's at Trapper Creek............and has the most fantastic view of the mountain from the south, very unusual. A couple of blocks north of the "motel" and restaurant is a new pull-off area with a lovely path, great signs and spectacular view of the mountain.

The food at Mary's is amazing; just delicious.

The story of Mary and how the motel came to be is special as well.

We took a stash of Clif Bars for hiking, for the ride into the park, etc. just in case we weren't near restaurants.

The restaurant at McKinley Creek Cabins is just amazing............delicious. Their menu is online if you're interested. I found a couple of restaurants on these sites as well...............

Enjoy!:)

Make sure you buy and use THE MILEPOST................it will tell you every little bump in the road so you don't miss anything.

I found Mary's in the Milepost; it's at Trapper Creek............and has the most fantastic view of the mountain from the south, very unusual. A couple of blocks north of the "motel" and restaurant is a new pull-off area with a lovely path, great signs and spectacular view of the mountain.

We took a stash of Clif Bars for hiking, for the ride into the park, etc. just in case we weren't near restaurants.

The restaurant at McKinley Creek Cabins is just amazing............delicious. Their menu is online if you're interested. I found a couple of restaurants on these sites as well...............

P.S.

There's a Fred Meyer and a Wal-Mart in Wasilla as well..............and a Carrs. We always buy a case of water along with fruit, etc.

Thanks for the great tips! Re the case of water, is the tap water in Alaska drinkable and tasty? If so, we'd just fill up our hydration packs.

HOWEVER Mary's Lodge is a dump and to be avoided staying here at all costs. There has been NO improvement in years.

Grrrrr.....when will I learn to not stop in the middle of a reply to look something up? Well, lucky for you guys, 'cuz then my answers get shorter--LOL.

Tap water: Excellent in most places. But fill up 5 gallons before you leave a major town and carry it with you if you really don't want to buy bottled water. Many places have limited drinking water once you leave town.

Mary's: You never know how it's going to be...we don't even try to eat there anymore, because the last time, we were not allowed to because "we only feed tour buses." To me, it's just a reminder that the great mountain viewing area is coming up soon. If we have to eat when in that area, we head up to the McKinley Princess.

Cantwell area: I haven't left the highway area in a while to check out restaurants. The ones off the highway are probably fine. It's the one's right on the highway that are questionable.

My last few trips up that way have been all the way to Fairbanks, with a toddler in the car. That makes for a looooong drive (especially with stops for construction north of Denali the past 2 summers), and stops have to be planned pretty carefully, no time for exploration or side trips. Otherwise, we're usually camping down the Denali highway and bringing our own food.

Archived