Jane, Evening Attire in New York

Cruise Arizona

Jane, a while back I posted about how casual Tucson is for evening attire, with people even wearing shorts to the theatre, and most restaurants having casual dress codes.

I was thinking today as I watch a new show based in New York....What is the typical evening attire in New York, and how does that compare to what is suggested by the the different cruise lines.

What do people wear to the Opera? Gowns & Tuxes on opening night and then to the ball??? Cocktail dresses, coat and tie??/ Pants suits and Dockers and Polo???

How about to Broadway?

And then to dinner....What do you typically see at fine restaurants? Casual eateries???

I think of New York as being a dressier city than Tucson, but I'm curious about weather or not this is true.

I lived in New York City a few years ago, and I visit when I can. I was most recently there at the beginning of August and went to a Broadway show while there.

I can't comment on the opera, but in terms of Broadway people wear everything from jeans - not for me, but they do - to what we might call smart casual. It would also depend on where you're sitting. I wouldn't go real dressy in one of the upper balconies.

You will also find people dressed in many ways in restaurants as well. If I were going to an upscale restaurant I'd wear a dressy pants outfit or dress with DH in a coat and tie. But in other restaurants I've seen people dressed down a good bit.

I've been a regular opera-goer for many years, at the Met. It does depend a bit on where you sit, and opening night is formal with tuxes, I understand, though I haven't attended one. The season runs from late September to sometime in April, so it's cold weather for most of the time, and that can affect what people wear, also depending on what they are doing before or after the opera. And the fact that one will be sitting for 3-4 hours (longer for Wagner) can influence the clothing choice, too.

But in general people dress better for the opera than Broadway plays. From business clothes through cocktail dresses and a few gowns on the ladies, and mostly suits on the men--not too many tuxes. People who attend on weeknight evenings who live in the suburbs and work in the city likely wear what they wore to work. Up in the least expensive seats, you'll see a few rebels in jeans, but they stick out for being rare. Those in "standing room" at the top of the highest balcony dress casually, especially footwear, for obvious reasons.

ILoveScotland has described restaurantgoers pretty accurately, I think. Especially if you are in midtown Manhattan or the financial district, many of your fellow diners in fine restaurants will be people having business lunches or dinners with clients or potential clients, etc., and they dress accordingly.

Jane, a while back I posted about how casual Tucson is for evening attire, with people even wearing shorts to the theatre, and most restaurants having casual dress codes.

I was thinking today as I watch a new show based in New York....What is the typical evening attire in New York, and how does that compare to what is suggested by the the different cruise lines.

Most restaurants here have relaxed dress codes with very few requiring men to be in a jacket and tie. As on a cruiseship, ladies clothing has a much wider definition of what's fashionable.

Even in summer, you see very few people in shorts in restaurants - I mean the typical casual daytime shorts worn on a cruiseship - not the dressy new "long shorts" worn with high heels. You won't typically see a man in a polo shirt and khaki's unless it's a sports bar or he's a tourist. Tourists are easily spotted here by their attire.

So casual for Tucson is alot different than casual for NYC. Yes, jeans are popular here, but you'll see them more in a local "neighborhood" type restaurant and not in an expensive place, unless it's a very trendy place. Then the jeans would be trendy as well as the shoes and the handbag.

What do people wear to the Opera? Gowns & Tuxes on opening night and then to the ball??? Cocktail dresses, coat and tie??/ Pants suits and Dockers and Polo???

Opening night at the Opera or Ballet is black tie when there it's part of a formal evening which will include a formal dinner afterwards. I only go the opera about once a year, so I'm no expert, however we attend the NYC Ballet about 10 times a year. People dress very nicely - men are usually in jackets and women are usually in nice dresses or dressy pant outfits. Most of the tourists that attend the ballet are from foreign countries and they always dress beautifully. Whenever children are brought to the ballet, american or foreign, they're always dressed beautifully and you can see their excitment about having a special night out.

We sit close to the stage so I have no idea what the people in the upper rings wear, but I imagine it's where alot of the students on tight budgets sit.

We go to alot of dance performances in smaller theatre's too. There, the audience dresses more casually and often with more unusual clothing. DH would never put on a suit to go see Savion Glover or the Twyla Tharp Company, it would be out of place. Maybe it's because the smaller and/or more avant garde dance companies attract a more artsy crowd?

How about to Broadway?

Most of the audience is tourists, so lots of sneakers and khaki's and then pretty cocktail dress - kind of like a cruise. :) NYer's typically dress upscale casual.

And then to dinner....What do you typically see at fine restaurants? Casual eateries???

Fine restaurants = Fine clothing. Casual restuarants = Casual clothing :D

Truthfully, it runs the gamut.

I think of New York as being a dressier city than Tucson, but I'm curious about weather or not this is true.

Is that a pun? :)

Yes, I think you're probably right that NY is dressier than Tucson, though summer is more casual than winter.

But I think to really know, you should come here and see for yourself! :D

Working in Midtown I found it to be much dressier than where I am from. I'd wear a suit every day, here, I rarely wear a suit.

Business lunches are of course business attire.

Also, accessories are kind of the big thing. People (men and women) you'll find wear very good shoes, women have great bags, and everyone has a state of the art cell phone and iPod.

Working in Midtown I found it to be much dressier than where I am from. I'd wear a suit every day, here, I rarely wear a suit.

Business lunches are of course business attire.

Oh yes! Lots of suits on both men and women.

Also, accessories are kind of the big thing. People (men and women) you'll find wear very good shoes, women have great bags,

You're right about that!

and everyone has a state of the art cell phone and iPod.

oh dear, I'd better go out and buy a Shuffle! :)

Well I have to say it is quite embarrasing that both my 8 and 10 year old are better spellers than I am.

OK, DS did make it to the State spelling Bee last year.....OK an I am bragging a bit.... But do they really have to correctly my spelling on the grociery list????

I'll blame my bad spelling on the Margaritas my mom had in 67 in Ciudad Acuna, when I was about 6 months along. It must have numbed that part o my brain!!!!

You probably type faster than you think. And...you probably don't reread your post before you hit "submit reply".

e.g. Here you spelled "truly" correctly. On the Celebrity board, in one posting you had two different spellings.

Anyway, it is colourful (Canadian spelling!). Don't sweat it...we all type too fast here and we all make lots of mistakes.

OK, DS did make it to the State spelling Bee last year.....OK an I am bragging a bit....

You're allowed. Kudos to DS!

But do they really have to correctly my spelling on the grociery list????

Errrr.....better have DS check again... It's spelled GROCERY. LOL!!!:D :D

How do you use it? Supposing I wanted to check the spelling of a word as I was typing this post, what would I do?

Thanks.

In the upper right hand corner of your reply is a little abc with a check mark. Click on it and it will let you know what is misspelled. I did have to download ispell to get it to work.

In the upper right hand corner of your reply is a little abc with a check mark. Click on it and it will let you know what is misspelled. I did have to download ispell to get it to work.

Ahh, learn something new everyday. Thanks!

It'll be helpful to many I'm sure.

Of course it's useless for posts like #18 that I sent where all my spelling is correct, but my context is from another planet. LOL!

Ahh, learn something new everyday. Thanks!

It'll be helpful to many I'm sure.

Of course it's useless for posts like #18 that I sent where all my spelling is correct, but my context is from another planet. LOL!

I read number 18 very early this morning and I had to read it twice before I got it!!

Jane your'e slacking and you so can't get a shuffle that is so 2 seasons ago :) . You have to get the new Ipod Nano (2nd g not first generation)

Got the Nano have no idea if it's first g or 2nd. It's small and plays music, so it's fine with moi.

When Blue Herons mentioned Shuffle, I thought maybe it was the latest.

I'm not a fan of things electronic other than what I need to have to accomplish what I need to do. I didn't own a television for 20 years and missed two entire generations of cultural references. I've never seen shows like Dallas or The Brady Family. (I now have one, DH bought it.)

Sidenote: Funny story. In the mid 80's I was involved in the start-up of a silk blouse and sportswear company and was in charge of design and merchandising and was asked by the Lord & Taylor buyer for an "LA Law" Blouse. I didn't have a clue as to what she was referring to and though I had heard of the show, I never saw it and didn't know it had a signature blouse. When she described it, I knew immediately what she meant so I had my samplehand make one and it was a hit seller at the stores! Still have never seen the show! LOL!!!

When it comes to techie toys, I AM a slacker. I could care less about the newest. As long as something works for me, I'm happy.

I'd still be using my little tape casette for the gym if DH didn't buy me a disc-man to use in the gym. 2 years ago.

Oh Good Heaven's Jane. You're so out of it, LOL !!! You also need the 80GB, iPod video so you can download TV shows and movies. Then you need to purchase a Blackberry and take it to Jacob the Jeweler and have him bling it up with real gemstones. Only then will you be up to date, LOL.

I used to live in Arizona and a dress up place for dinner was wearing your clean shorts and t-shirts. And, you could tell the snowbirds instantly. They're the ones wearing shorts, tank tops and flip flops at breakfast in January while we locals wore our fleece pants and heavy sweatshirts. When I told people I didn't swim in my pool until it was 100 degrees outside, they thought I was crazy.

It's interesting how dressing up is viewed in NYC. I took my mom and sister for a ladies only weekend, that included show tickets for a musical. We showed up to the theater wearing our name-brand dinner suits, pumps and stockings. As we were standing outside waiting for the doors to open, we overheard a couple of older ladies commenting on how we were dressed. They said we looked like how women used to dress a couple of decades ago, and how they missed that era. I'm so tired of comfort overriding everything in our society.

Kitty, you reminded me...several years ago, on an autumn Sunday in Madrid, we sat at an "in" cafe and watched toute Madrid pass by. The young mothers with children were in jeans or other very casual "Sunday going to the park" clothes. The "Seniors", however, were wearing fall suits with skirts. I am a senior. My mother used to dress like that. She didn't even own a pair of pants. When I was young, I,too,dressed like that. Times have changed. The only time I wear a suit with a skirt is when I go to synagogue! But I am sure you all looked lovely!

Archived