Requirements to take teenage daughters friend

cruisegrandma3

I would definately check with Carnival about their specific policy.

That being said you should just need all her normal docs and a notarised letter from her parents saying who, wha, when, where, and how about her, you, and the cruise.

We brought my daughter's BF this summer and all 4 of us were in 1 cabin.

We did these things:

- had him get a passport

- included him in our trip insurance policy

- I wrote a document that said we had his parent's permission to take him out of the country and to seek emergency medical care for him. I specified the dates of the trip, the flight arrangements, the cruise ship, and countries to be visited. Both parents went and got it notarized.

Also talk with both kids and the other parents before you book the cruise about who is paying for what and what your expectations will be (curfews, when they need to be with you and when they don't, etc.)

We had a fantastic time and I hope you do too.

The requirements vary by country. Mexico seems to be the most strict. Even if you are a single parent, you will need a notorized letter from the non-traveling parent saying the child has your per permission to travel. If neither parent is traveling you will need both parent's signatures. If a single parent has full custody and traveling alone with the child, you will need copies of the court papers showing custody. These requirements are only for minors under 18 years of age and may or may not be enforced by the cruise line.

In addition to the letter you will need either an ID and certified copy of the child's birth certificate, or a passport (until 01/07 - after that you must have a passport for each passenger).

Several years ago, I was able to download a form letter from the Alaska Airlines website, which I took to a notary, signed, and then faxed to my wife at the airport ticket counter before she could board a plane to Cabo with our daughter. Our neice missed the flight because she couldn't get the letter signed by her ex in time. If you go to Carnival's website they spell it out pretty clearly as to what you will need.

You'll probably also need a notorized power of attorney in order to authorize emergency medical care for the friend. Also get copies of any healthcare policy cards for the child, just in case.

Good luck.

We brought my daughter's BF this summer and all 4 of us were in 1 cabin.

We did these things:

- had him get a passport

- included him in our trip insurance policy

- I wrote a document that said we had his parent's permission to take him out of the country and to seek emergency medical care for him. I specified the dates of the trip, the flight arrangements, the cruise ship, and countries to be visited. Both parents went and got it notarized.

Also talk with both kids and the other parents before you book the cruise about who is paying for what and what your expectations will be (curfews, when they need to be with you and when they don't, etc.)

We had a fantastic time and I hope you do too.

We're thinking of taking a friend of DD's with us this summer, how did you handle the who's paying what part of it all?

We're thinking of taking a friend of DD's with us this summer, how did you handle the who's paying what part of it all?

Everyone can handle this differently, but we offered to pay for everything except his airfare ($300), souveniers, and any gambling.

Since we booked it about 6 months in advance, we chose TravelSafe insurance and the "Cancel for any reason" option. (For an extra premium, you can cancel for any reason up to 2 days before the start of your trip and get 75% cash back. Of course, covered reasons are paid in full.) You never know what might happen in a relationship and we were also concerned that he might switch jobs and not get the time off. We still would have gone, but we would have gotten 75% back of what we paid for him.

The discussion with the kids and the other parents is important to discuss money and other expecations. We didn't have any problems, but I've read other stories on here that didn't go so well when friends were included.

Everyone can handle this differently, but we offered to pay for everything except his airfare ($300), souveniers, and any gambling.

Since we booked it about 6 months in advance, we chose TravelSafe insurance and the "Cancel for any reason" option. (For an extra premium, you can cancel for any reason up to 2 days before the start of your trip and get 75% cash back. Of course, covered reasons are paid in full.) You never know what might happen in a relationship and we were also concerned that he might switch jobs and not get the time off. We still would have gone, but we would have gotten 75% back of what we paid for him.

The discussion with the kids and the other parents is important to discuss money and other expecations. We didn't have any problems, but I've read other stories on here that didn't go so well when friends were included.

We were thinking of paying everything except her passport, and her share of the insurance. I realize we are inviting her, and I feel that if we are paying for the airfare, pre-night hotel, and the trip, the passport and insurance (only the friend's share) should be their part. I would feel responsible for handling the passport and insurance of my own child if it were reversed. We didn't know about the cancel for any reason type of insurance until well after the 14 days after deposit, but if it doesn't work out, I know it only costs $50 for a name change. I'm sure we'll have no problem finding someone else to go, but I'm sure I will not have that problem:)

We're taking a friends 13 yr old with us on Nov 19th. We received a form from Carnival to have the parents fill out. First time ever so it must be something new for Carnival.

We had already done the notarized letter but this new form takes its place.

LSUTraveler - Can you send me a copy of that form? I called my PVP and she didn't know anything about that form. I need to find a good one to have for my daughter's friend's parents to complete.

Let me know if you need my email.....if you can fax it......whatever, I have all these available.

Thank you!

My son is going with another family for a "senior trip" in April, the problem is he will be 18 by then, since the age limit is 25 (which the other parents have the room arrangements handled to cover the no under 25 booking the rooms) I just need to know if there is something I need to fill out and sign for him since he is considered and adult at 18? Any suggestions for this? BTW he does have a pass port.

Thanks

My son is going with another family for a "senior trip" in April, the problem is he will be 18 by then, since the age limit is 25 (which the other parents have the room arrangements handled to cover the no under 25 booking the rooms) I just need to know if there is something I need to fill out and sign for him since he is considered and adult at 18? Any suggestions for this? BTW he does have a pass port.

Thanks

My DD's BF was 20 when we brought him this summer. Just to be on the safe side, I created a document that said we had his parent's permission to take him out of the country and to seek emergency medical care for him. I specified the dates of the trip, the flight arrangements, the cruise ship, and countries to be visited. Both parents went and got it notarized. I knew that may not have been necessary since he was 20, but I wanted to have it just in case I needed it. I don't know what age is considered 'legal' in every country for making health decisions.

I also wrote a document for her BF to get notarized giving DH & I permission to seek emergency medical care for him during the dates of our trip.

We got trip insurance for him and brought his dad's health ins card with.

We are also taking along my 17 y/o DD's friend on our next cruise in April. I was able to find a document that I dowloaded and will have the parents sign so that we have it. The website is on the Cruise Diva web page. I'm having trouble putting the web address here but if you type in CruiseDiva . com/permission_ltr.htm (make sure you type all of the letters together without any spaces - I had to type it in this way so that the address would show) it will pull up a document entitled Consent for Minor Children to Travel. If that doesn't work, go to the CruiseDiva home page and scroll down to the bottom of the page and do a search of the site for the Consent for Minor Children to Travel form. Hope this infomation is helpful...

Since we're going as a group, there is a 4 page form from Carnival that deals with "Group" trave with a minor. Since we have taken other minors with my children before this is the first time we have experienced this form. However at the bottom of their form there is a date of April 9, 2004 so apparently this has been around since then.

We've always used our own form and it was never a problem. This time my TA send me the forms and said that our packets were held up until this form was completed and faxed back to them. Don't know if it's a tightening up of the regs but we did as told. This may only apply to minors on group cruises.

Anyway it's Carnival's documents.

Below is the document we have always used. We've already had it filled out so we'll take it with us along with the Carnival doc. I believe we got this from one of the message boards a while back

We, (parent or parents) authorize our child (child's name) to travel on vacation from (dates) under the supervision of (temporary guardians's name).

(temporary guardian's name) are authorized to act as (child's name)

temporary guardian during this vacation and is authorized to accompany child

on the Carnival Cruise Line’s ship (name of ship) from (dates of the cruise).

We, (child's parent or parents) additionally give permission for our child, (child's name), to be accompanied to the following

countries, ports of call and destinations this cruise vacation visits on its

itinerary including (ports of call). We

additionally give permission for our child, (child's name), to be

accompanied to any additional country or ports of call this ship may travel

to if its itinerary is changed by Carnival Cruise Lines. (temporary guardians) are also authorized to make decisions regarding medical treatment and medications necessary for (child's name) health to include the entire duration of their temporary guardianship during this trip.

(temporary guardians) are additionally authorized to accompany

(child's name) to travel (airline) on flights departing on (originating flight date) from (departure and arrival city), and return

flights on (airline) (date) from (departure and arrival city). We additionally give permission for our child, (child's name), to be accompanied to any additional air cities if flight

itinerary is changed by (airline).

_____________________________ ____________________________

(Name of parent / guardian) (Dated) (Name of parent / guardian) (Date)

Notary Statement and stamp below:

Below is the document we have always used. We've already had it filled out so we'll take it with us along with the Carnival doc. I believe we got this from one of the message boards a while back

We, (parent or parents) authorize our child (child's name) to travel on vacation from (dates) under the supervision of (temporary guardians's name).

(temporary guardian's name) are authorized to act as (child's name)

temporary guardian during this vacation and is authorized to accompany child

on the Carnival Cruise Line’s ship (name of ship) from (dates of the cruise).

We, (child's parent or parents) additionally give permission for our child, (child's name), to be accompanied to the following

countries, ports of call and destinations this cruise vacation visits on its

itinerary including (ports of call). We

additionally give permission for our child, (child's name), to be

accompanied to any additional country or ports of call this ship may travel

to if its itinerary is changed by Carnival Cruise Lines. (temporary guardians) are also authorized to make decisions regarding medical treatment and medications necessary for (child's name) health to include the entire duration of their temporary guardianship during this trip.

(temporary guardians) are additionally authorized to accompany

(child's name) to travel (airline) on flights departing on (originating flight date) from (departure and arrival city), and return

flights on (airline) (date) from (departure and arrival city). We additionally give permission for our child, (child's name), to be accompanied to any additional air cities if flight

itinerary is changed by (airline).

_____________________________ ____________________________

(Name of parent / guardian) (Dated) (Name of parent / guardian) (Date)

Notary Statement and stamp below:

Question. What IF one parent is not available to get the above notarized?

I have a small group going and my Group cruise planner has not said a WORD about getting this kind of permission for the 2 teens that are going as guests without their parents! One parent works very long hours and can't (he's in the military) get it notarized. Could mom get it notarized and then dad take it?

Please help!

Question. What IF one parent is not available to get the above notarized?

I have a small group going and my Group cruise planner has not said a WORD about getting this kind of permission for the 2 teens that are going as guests without their parents! One parent works very long hours and can't (he's in the military) get it notarized. Could mom get it notarized and then dad take it?

Please help!

I'd get the notorized document by both parents (although if one was somewhere that they couldn't do this...like fighting in Iraq, I don't know what they'd do). We took a friend for our daughter (she was 16 at the time), and we had a similar notorized letter. In the event of an emergency, we wanted to make sure we had the proper documentation to act in place of her parents. The one LSUtraveler posted really covers it all. We were never asked for this letter, but I've read where others were. We didn't want to get to the port and find out they wouldn't let her on the ship.

Maybe you could find someone who is a notary, and have the paper notorized at his/her home. I have a neighbor who is a notary, but we were all able to meet at our bank (and get it notorized).

Archived