Anybody out there ever work for a Cruise Line???

OPERLAD10

Have a question that I've never seen posted before.

Has anybody ever worked for, or known someone who has, worked for a Cruise Line?? My daughter (26) is looking into working for NCL cruises in Hawaii. She'd possibly be working in a head waitress position. We've taken many cruises, she's been on (3), so she knows the staff work extremely hard.

She's young, it could be a good experience, or a really bad experience. Anybody out there have any advice, or thoughts on the subject???

Thanks........Terry

My DH worked on the old Sitmar line for 8 years before he met yours truly and decided it was time to settle down. His b-in-law also did 2 years. They both have very fond memories of those times and when they start reminiscing they can go on for hours! Yes it was hard work, but they made enough money during their time on board to set themselves up with their own businesses when it was time to settle down and they had an opportunity to see many places they would never have seen otherwise. Possibly the biggest hurdle is homesickness as you can be away for months without seeing family and friends but in these days of electronic communications it's much easier to keep in touch than it was way back then. If your daughter is keen then give her all the support you can and send her on her way. If she doesn't give it a try, she may look back later and regret her decision. Plus, as you'll no doubt want to visit her, it gives you an irrefutable excuse to cruise more (as if you needed one).

Good luck to her whatever she decides to do.

Has anybody ever worked for, or known someone who has, worked for a Cruise Line?? My daughter (26) is looking into working for NCL cruises in Hawaii. She'd possibly be working in a head waitress position. We've taken many cruises, she's been on (3), so she knows the staff work extremely hard.

She's young, it could be a good experience, or a really bad experience. Anybody out there have any advice, or thoughts on the subject???

Thanks........Terry

Personally, if I were young and unattached and willing to work as hard as those wonderful folks do...I would be there in a heartbeat. For Americans, it is not as attractive because of the tax situation and because there are so many more opportunities here. But if she wants to travel, meet new people and have an "experience"...she could try it for 8 months and if she doesn't like it...it is only 8 months.

I would suggest she contact the cruiseline directly and not pay a "head hunter". Those agents are generally for the foreign folks who perhaps don't

have the means to contact the cruise line directly.

Good Luck to her!!!

A word of caution... NCL America has run into the same problem that American Hawaii Cruises and Aloha Pacific Cruises (both defunct) had, namely that most of us (Americans) dont like being someone's servant. These are entry level postions just like the restaurant, hotel, or retail trade. The hours are long, the days off few, and the work becomes drudgery after awhile. There have been so many complaints re service considering the cost of the cruise on a U.S. flagged ship that NCL is seriously considering selling the line to amother corporate entity or folding it completely and redeploying the ships to other routes.

Thanks for the input so far. I kinda wondered myself if this was a good idea or not. I also wondered why NCL has been recruiting here on the East coast (Virginia) for employees. I also read that when NCL first started the Hawaii cruises with American crews that there were lots of problems. The Americans apparently don't have the same 'work ethic' of the foreign crews.

It would also appear that the wages, while great for foreign workers, are very meager for Americans....especially considering the work involved.

Anyway, thanks for the responses so far...appreciate the help! I really don't want my daughter to get herself into an 'ugly' situation.

Thanks........Terry

My husband works for NCLA in Hawaii, first contract on Pride of America, last contract and the one comiing up on Pride of Hawaii. He is a head waiter, works on average 80 hrs a week, minimum, days start at 5am and end at midnight to 1 am, 7 days a week, for 5 months. They do get the occasional shift off, such as lunch so they have a little port time. Due to his awards and customer service he has earned Maui night off, so he is off after breakfast until 5am the next day, but he worked hard to earn this.

Just go on the NCL website, click on the NCL America and click on jobs. Sometimes they also have ads in local papers, that is how he got hired.

They go to Piney Point MD first, they are paid a wage of 50 a week during training, we heard this is new, they used to pay more but since the turnover is so high, they no longer get supplemental help from the government so cut the pay. Once they complete the training there, they then have to wait and get their MMD card, once they receive that, off to the ship they go!

The work is so hard, the hours so long, very few make it a full contract and only 1 percent return to a second. My hubby is not American, worked for RCCL before, so he knew what he was getting into. He is now entering his 3rd contract.

Also, Delta Steam boat company is a good one, they hire americans but you work so many weeks and then they fly you home for 2 weeks, no contracts, etc. Might be worth looking into that one too.

Let me know if you have questions, I hear all the horror stories he can tell... LOL

Thanks for the input so far. I kinda wondered myself if this was a good idea or not. I also wondered why NCL has been recruiting here on the East coast (Virginia) for employees. I also read that when NCL first started the Hawaii cruises with American crews that there were lots of problems. The Americans apparently don't have the same 'work ethic' of the foreign crews.

It would also appear that the wages, while great for foreign workers, are very meager for Americans....especially considering the work involved.

Anyway, thanks for the responses so far...appreciate the help! I really don't want my daughter to get herself into an 'ugly' situation.

The pay is good, because they are union and get time and a half for all hours over 40. If she is a waiter, the pay is base like 9 something an hour, then time and half for over 40 plus tips, in main dining, if people leave tips, if she can work into a specialty dining, especially steak house, that is where the money is. My hubby is making a lot more than he ever could here. He managed to send me money to pay the house payment, his car and credit cards and still saved almost 20k in 5 months, if that tells you anything. But he is a saver, he puts all his money away and spends very little while on the ship, he also works as many hours as they will give him, sometimes only getting a couple hours of sleep a night.

Thanks so much for the info. I must say to begin with that your husband is a very hard worker to do all he does... and all those hours. Sounds like if you're willing to work, money can be made....but I can see why the drop-out rate is so high. I will pass this info. along to my daughter. She actually got called today to arrange her physical....but she can't make it this week. So, she can digest your info. and make a decision. Anything else you can give us is greatly appreciated......Terry.

Just a few things to note, which might help her.

They are allowed 1 suitcase, must be duffle bag style, I bought his at Walmart for like 20 dollars with wheels on one end. They share a cabin, smaller than passenger cabin, with usually 2 other people, this includes bathroom sharing. If one person is not clean, then all get red flagged and cannot leave the ship on their time off. Also you cant value quiet or privacy and work on the ship.

If they go to crew bar, after work, they are allowed 2 beers, if they have more, they can be fired, depends on the captain. A lot get off ship and go into port, get drunk and call off sick the next day, so they are always short handed. Yes if you work hard, dont mind being exhausted, not a picky eater, dont mind not having privacy, then the ship life can work.

Im not trying to discourage anyone, but I know the recruiters lie. They make it sound so great. Fortunately my hubby knew what it was like and told the recruiter to not waste his time.

Oh yes, at Piney Point, when they are going thru the training, once they complete the safety part, the life saving stuff etc, then they have to work in a dining room, sorta like on the ship. The trainers, big wigs and other mucky mucks come to dine and you wait on them. My hubby got in trouble because his back waiter forgot to put sugar on the table and they had to ask! As head waiter you are not only responsible for yourself, but you are responsible to make sure your back waiter does their job too. He got past it and did okay but they immediately demoted the back waiter to galley help! It was either that or go home. They are not tolerant of errors. If you pass all the pre testing, get to PP and make it thru the training, you are still not guaranteed a job, you have to wait for your security clearance and be issued the MMD card from the coast guard before you go to the ship. Hubby was home about a week, but for some it is longer, just depends. Some did not get it because of something so simple as a dui, or unpaid traffic ticket! One friend of my hubby's went to the ship, worked his first contract, came back for second and was about halfway thru that one when he was stopped by the Captain of the ship, they took one look, and he had been in the crew bar drinking too much, so they took away his MMD, sent him home immediately. He finally got his MMD back after 6 months and is thinking about trying to go back to the ship because, yes if you work hard and long, you can make some good money.

I think most go in thinking it is going to be like it is for a passenger, but it isnt. They go with the wrong mindset and then cannot make it. I think you have to have a whopping dose of stubborn and determination to overcome against all odds and survive.

Oh yes, tell her if she goes, go buy her own work shoes. They will make her pay for a pair but they are cheap and not good on the feet at all, yet they charge 50 dollars out of the paycheck. Hubby's are still here in the original box. He gets shoes from Walmart and says they are much better. We have also got them from Steinmart. Not sure what the women wear but they will tell them what to bring. His sponsor emailed us a list before he went. Just to get everything he was required to have cost us about 400 dollars, then most of the stuff he brought home, unopened!

I will be happy to answer anything if she has questions. I can always ask DH since he is home right now. He leaves 2 weeks from today to return! Peace and quiet for me again... LOL

Thanks again for all the very helpful info. My daughter's coming over to the house today to read your information.

It makes you wonder how the cruise staff can keep those smiling faces under such working conditions.

Very small world....your Mom living in Chesapeake. What company does she work for???

Again, thanks....anyother 'tidbits' greatly appreciated.

I have worked for two in land based positions and for one as on onboard cruise staffer for short stints only. I also hired for full time positions on ships.

If I was young, I would certainly consider it for a short period of time. There are pluses and minuses and it would not be the ideal position for a long term commitment IMO because of the very small and shared living quarters.

Also, there are lots of rules that apply to every aspect of an employees onboard life: how much make-up, acceptable hair styles, facial hair restrictions, heel height for shoes. Some folks may not realize that.

The crew mess might not be what everyone pictures in terms of food, etc. It is not a life of glamour unless you are quite high up in the food chain.

I was wondering something. Are you talking $9+ a hour plus tips? Is this just for head waiter or any waiter? I always thought the waiters had a very small base pay? So you can start being a head waiter without being a waiter or the bus boy?

I was wondering something. Are you talking $9+ a hour plus tips? Is this just for head waiter or any waiter? I always thought the waiters had a very small base pay? So you can start being a head waiter without being a waiter or the bus boy?

For foreign flagged ships, you are correct. They have a small base pay on a montly basis, tips, and room and board, along with other basic essentials provided. They do NOT make $9 an hour and that is why so many come from countries where low pay and unemployment are real issues.

Only on NCLA are the pay scales different to my knowledge.

For foreign flagged ships, you are correct. They have a small base pay on a montly basis, tips, and room and board, along with other basic essentials provided. They do NOT make $9 an hour and that is why so many come from countries where low pay and unemployment are real issues.

Only on NCLA are the pay scales different to my knowledge.

You are right, when DH worked on RCCL, he only made 50 a month plus tips, no OT. NCLA they are all American or residents, union, and have to be paid more. Assist waiters make like 7 an hour, head waiters more, maite d is salary if I remember right. Since they are American flagged ships with only citizens or resident status crew, and are union, they fall under US laws and paid better.

I have heard nothing but how bad crew mess is, they eat it so they dont starve, but since the ships are in port a lot, they get off if they can and eat off the ship. They dont get to eat what passengers do.

If I were a lot younger, had no ties, such as a home or pets, needed a job, I would do it just for the experience. It is an opportunity to gain some valuable work experience and values. If you can make it on a ship, you can work anywhere and feel you have it really good.

Want to thank again everyone who has contributed to this thread. My daughter has read every one. At this point I think she's having doubts, but hasn't ruled it out yet. She sent off for some info. on the Delta Steamship Line.

I think it's sad, to a degree, the low wages given staff on the majority of Cruise lines (foreign flagged), but if it's better than what they can do in their own country I guess it's good.

Anyway, any news/ideas is greatly appreciated. Thanks again.....Terry

Glad she is looking at all her options. DH told me about a guy that came to work for NCLA after the hurricane because they had stopped the Delta runs for a bit, he didnt even finish his contract, as soon as Delta let him know they were back up and going to start up again, he was gone right back. Said it was much better working conditions, and getting to be off for 2 weeks every 6 weeks was much better. They offered DH a job but he went back to NCLA because he knew what to expect there. He did not want to have to start over again. So now he leaves in one week for his 3rd contract with them.

I worked for 2 yrs as a nurse on a cruise ship and I can tell you that it was a great experience, like a big family. I was lucky as I had officer status and my own cabin (I was the Senior/Charge nurse) BUT!

As a waitress it will be very tough. Long hours withoiut a break/day off, very limited time off as well as ability to get off the ship in port...maybe a few hours only occasionally.

I would advise her that she would need to be very very aware and cautious of the other crew members...there can be great camaraderie, and new friendships etc but life on board can be dull for this level of crew and there will be lot of situations that your daughter may find herself in with "amorous" co-workers .....I know this from experiemce as I had to lecture staff on birth control and sexually transmitted diseases, (which I can tell you there were!) I gave out condoms daily! I am just giving you bare facts of what she would need to be aware of as there were many relationships that developed and unfortunate consequences that went with some of them....

Aside from being smart in that area, she will need to be used to many hours, tiredness almost to exhaustion and badly blistered feet that I had to treat constantly.

Lack of privacy is a big issue for a waitress level as she may have to share a cabin with 3 other people. 2 sets of bink nbeds and very closed in and crowded. Theses cabins would be below the passenger areas and usually without any porthole so can be very claustrophobic too...especially with staff working different shifts and getting disturbed through the night!

I would still say, give it a go, at least gain a new experience and just be very smart.

The positive is that she may get the opportunity to see some of the ports of call, and it is easy to save money as meals etc are provided. And the friendships you can develop are wonderful, as all the crew are away from home and their families, and you can get close to each other very quickly.

My experience was very good and I would certainly recommend anyone young trying it out for a while just for the experience. Good luck.

Nitra, this is so informative.

My (almost) 14 year-old daughter has ben cruising since she was a baby, all over the world with us. She is a whiz at foreign languages (is learning Spanish, but taught herself basic French and Italian) and she is a certified travel addict. She has been thinking about working--short-term--on a cruise ship when she is older, after college.

My question is, do those crew members with college degrees and/or other skills--multiple languages, office experience, etc.--have slightly better working conditions on ths ship? Sure, I know the cabins still would sleep 4, but the hours wouldn't be quite so long as a waitrer/waitress, would they?

Nitra, this is so informative.

My (almost) 14 year-old daughter has ben cruising since she was a baby, all over the world with us. She is a whiz at foreign languages (is learning Spanish, but taught herself basic French and Italian) and she is a certified travel addict. She has been thinking about working--short-term--on a cruise ship when she is older, after college.

My question is, do those crew members with college degrees and/or other skills--multiple languages, office experience, etc.--have slightly better working conditions on ths ship? Sure, I know the cabins still would sleep 4, but the hours wouldn't be quite so long as a waitrer/waitress, would they?

A college degree, the ability to speak multiple languages, and have office experience should make her a shoo-in for a management training position on a cruiseline or any area of the travel industry. Assistant Cruise Director as a start and then working the way up to at least Hotel Manager, or maybe even CEO at HAL.:)

kimanjo,

One of the most important issues about working on cruise ships has been overlooked here. With the exception of NCL America, Cruise lines generally do not hire Americans - except as jugglers, comedians, dancers, and singers.

On an international ship, if your daughter has a college degree and speaks several languages, that makes her just about as good as everyone else who works there - with one exception. An American Passport is the kiss of death.

The great majority of Americans who have been hired to work on international cruise ships just couldn't keep up with the rest of the crew. They also couldn't accept doing things other than the "American Way". So many cruise lines have been burned by hiring Americans that they generally (unofficially) will not consider hiring any more.

Unless your daughter is willing to suffer through the NCL America mess (they are forced to hire Americans), or unless you have an inside connection at an International Cruise Line, her chances are not very good.

For reference, I am an American who has worked on Cruise Ships for many years. But it has been incredibly difficult to work around all the ill will and bad reputations of my fellow countrymen.

We have been on two American crewed ships / boats. We sailed the Independence around Hawaii and sailed the Mississippi Queen up and down the Mississippi River out of New Orleans.

I can say, without hesitation, of all the cruises we have been on, these two were the worst service we experienced. :( It is interesting reading the post above about NCL's troubles / challenges crewing their ships.... and I also see why our American flagged ships would have a hard time competing with the service of foreign flagged ships.

Jim is correct.

DH worked for RCCL before he got his green card, he left the ship in good standing and his work record was outstanding. Once he got his residency, we contacted RCCL first, talked to the man in charge of hiring bar staff, which is what he did before. They pulled his employment record and said he had been an outstanding employee but there were a lot of people from other countries waiting on jobs from them and he would have to go to the bottom of the list. We submitted his resume per their request with all his employment information, employee number etc, and never heard a word. He called the guy several times and I did too. All he would tell us was that every day more signed up to work on the ships and they got priority over him. They did not say it but we knew it was all because he had his green card and was now considered working as an American, even if he had the great record and had proved he had the work ethics and ability. He would not have to be trained even, but they would not hire him. That is why we went to the American flagged companies.

I would think someone that speaks several languages, has a college degree etc, might could get on as a purser or even in another staff position, instead of as crew. I can tell you that on some lines, such as Princess and Cunard, they do not allow the crew to speak anything but English around the passengers. Im not sure how it works if the passengers dont speak English.. LOL.

Archived