How do you handle your toddler during dinner?

Florida_cruisers

DH and I are considering taking our baby who by then will be a year and a half on a cruise with us next year. But I am wondering how do toddlers do during dinner in the main dining room. DH and I like to take our time eating and chat with our tablemates, which usually takes a good 2 hrs.

How do you handle your toddler during this time??

Mine is used to going to restaurants and he does very well, but as he gets older I am sure it will be harder to keep him happy and contained for that long. Any thoughts or/and ideas?

For some reason, stickers keep my 2 year old occupied during meals. He can sit for hours with a book of stickers.

I found yesterday at Target a pad of 500 stickers for $2.99. They had animal stickers and nature. Very vivid photos. I also picked up a small pad for him to stick them on.

Coloring works too. I always have crayons in my bag. I bought a travel foldable placemat that has letters & numbers on it thats wipeable. He colors on that. I also carry a very small board book that has photos you find under tabs (something lift & seek??) Usually by dessert he's on to his matchbox cars. He likes to put the sugar packets into the dump trucks.

The key is to have tons of stuff on hand. They have a very short attention spand.

Well I have to say "Good Luck". My kids always go to dinner with us on the cruises and have never had a problem sitting through dinner. But I can say that we didn't have a "leisurely meal" where we could relax and chat for 2 hours or more.

So your options, go on Carnival where the kids club starts at age 2. Or go on RCCL where the in room babysitting service starts at age 1.

Just "in case" you don't get to have the relaxing meal your invisioning. It would be nice to have a back up plan ready.

Now with that being said, I do take stickers, get rolls/crackers on the table ASAP and take crayons.

Have a great cruise. :D

DH and I are considering taking our baby who by then will be a year and a half on a cruise with us next year. But I am wondering how do toddlers do during dinner in the main dining room. DH and I like to take our time eating and chat with our tablemates, which usually takes a good 2 hrs.

How do you handle your toddler during this time??

I have successfully cruised with my twin toddlers twice (at 13 months and at 21 months) and we had dinner in the main dining room every night (and most lunches), but only because the waiter knew enough to rush the process along for us (as they do with tables with children), so I was able to enjoy a great meal before the girls got tired of the situation. I brought a new little toy each night (the "Happy Meal" variety - cheap and little); a book and crayons and we did great.

Did you mean enjoying the company of people you are travelling with, or were you expecting to be seated with strangers? I always ask for a table for just us because I don't like the idea of others at my table having to have conversation broken up with me teaching my children proper behavior. On our last cruise, we were mistakenly given tablemates (I don't know what those people did to the head waiter to be seated at a table with twin toddlers!). I don't know how it's done on other lines, but on Princess all of the tables with children were in one section in the back corner.

Have a great time!

Best,

Mia

I just finished a cruise with my twin 15 month olds. We did stay at dinner for 2 hours each evening. The waitress brought crayons, bread, fruit cups at the beginning. They busied themselves with food for about an hour. The second hour they needed to go for little walks or get passed from one lap to another. It was just our family group at our table so no problem. We also had a table that you could almost close off so they could toddle around the table a bit.

Monique

We just got back from a family cruise on the Navigator - my 2 yr old GS had a small backpack that we filled with different things every night, a new book, crayons and coloring book, small toys, etc. We also had the waiters bring a fruit cup for him to eat as we did our starters and hold his meal until we got ours. He did very well every night but I did have to miss dessert once (my DH brought it back to the room for me!). Good luck!

The OP's 1-1/2 yr old won't be able to go into Camp Carnival. So that's out.

You might want to be prepared to take some of your meals in the casual buffet. Try to gauge how your kid is feeling -- be honest with yourself about whether your kid is grumpy or in a good mood. Take lots of diversions. Some waiters will give you crayons and a coloring book along with crackers. The waiter may also try to treat your child to chocolate milk.

You may want to bring onboard some little treats (Cheerios, for example) that the ship won't have.

If the kid is fussy, then one or both of you should take the child out of the dining room. The child won't like staying and everyone else would be happier too.

Be considerate and if anyone bothers you, don't worry, you won't see this person again.

It is one of those things that depend upon the child.

Take the kid out for a few "test dinners" at home. Nothing fancy, but at least a place where a server will bring food to the table. THis should give you a pretty good idea of what to expect.

Good Luck!

I don't think anyone mentioned this... but Disney does have a nursery. There is an hourly charge. This would be your best bet. Also.. although Disney is more expensive in general, they only charge taxes and port fees for a child that age.

I am pricing cruises for 2008 for a child under 3 and Disney is coming up the same as many others because I pay less for him.

Just my opinion, but on Carnival there should be enough going on to keep them occupied. I am taking my 9 month old and 3 year old, and on every cruise I have ever been on the, the dining room is not the most quiet place on the ship anyways. Then by the time they start the entertainment after dinner, you should be ok. Besides, you have to pay 3rd and 4th person rates anyways (maybe a little reduced) so my children will not be with a babysitter. They will be in the dining room and if they happen to disturb anyone else, too bad. I dont say anything to you and the people who would complain are probably disturbing me......

Again, just my opinion.

Archived