Deal, or No Deal?

bubbles1209

Deal, or no deal, that's the nature of my question. We booked a 1a on Liberty, cabin # 2462 for 469pp, for 2 people. 6-day cruise leaving on the 10th of February (valentine's week). Total cost of the trip which includes cabin 2462, which has 2 oceanview windows, round-trip airfare, pre-night hotel stay with transfers pre & post cruise for $2257.20. Just curious, do you guys think we got a deal, or would you have said no deal?

Thanks in advance:)

No deal!

Xfers - at FLL - $15 each way in a cab - 5 minute travel total $30

Hotel FLL $150 - could cut that in half if you are not picky - total $180

1A upgraded to OV (469 is pricey for a 1A) $938 - total $1118

That means you paid $1139.20 or $569.60 each for airfare, now if you are flying from Europe, you did OK, anywhere else into FLL from the US and you got hosed....

I wasn't asking so I could cancel the booking, I was just wanting some opinions. We looked up the airfare on our own, and round trip would have cost us $419 per person from where we live, and the hotel they booked us in would have cost us over $300 for 1 night. Looked that up from the beginning. I thought 469pp for a 1a wasn't bad considering the 1a cabin we selected has 2 ocean view windows.

There really is no way to tell if this is or isn't a good deal. There is too much info left out such as where you will be flying from. What type of hotel. Who is providing the transfer. Wish I could help but don't have enough info to help you here.
Ok, we're flying out of Augusta, Georgia, have to connect in Atlanta that is the closest major airport. The pre-night is at the FLL Grande. Carnival's providing the transfers, airfare, and pre-night hotel.

I wasn't asking so I could cancel the booking, I was just wanting some opinions. We looked up the airfare on our own, and round trip would have cost us $419 per person from where we live, and the hotel they booked us in would have cost us over $300 for 1 night. Looked that up from the beginning. I thought 469pp for a 1a wasn't bad considering the 1a cabin we selected has 2 ocean view windows.

Very bad deal! You could drive to Fort Lauderdale from Augusta, Ga in 8 hours and save $1000.

There really is no way to tell if this is or isn't a good deal. There is too much info left out such as where you will be flying from. What type of hotel. Who is providing the transfer. Wish I could help but don't have enough info to help you here.

Her sig says Georgia, which should be cheap to FLL, transport in FLL is very inexpensive because the port and airport is too close.

Booking airfare on their own they could have saved enough to upgrade to a balcony cabin.

I could book $700 balcony $1400 total for cruise $500 for airfare from Albuquerque on Southwest, $125 for hotel, $30 for transport and still be under her price.

I agree about cheap flight out of Atlanta but Augusta is almost a 3 hr drive from Atlanta. Not sure if flying out of Columbia would be much better than Augusta. If you did that you have the parking expense to add in

Columbia should be around the same as Augusta... Atlanta would likely be a better option pricewise... probably around $300 each. Problem is waiting until almost last minute to book during a popular time... prices are higher. The $300 hotel wouldn't fly with me, not for a pre cruise stay :p I would imagine they could have shopped around a bit and saved at least $400

I agree about cheap flight out of Atlanta but Augusta is almost a 3 hr drive from Atlanta. Not sure if flying out of Columbia would be much better than Augusta. If you did that you have the parking expense to add in
We're not driving from Augusta to Atlanta, we are flying from Augusta to Atlanta. We didn't want a parking expense, and DH didn't want to spend the last day of vacation driving for 8 hours before going back to work the next day. That's why we chose to fly out of Augusta. Delta wants $419.19 per person=$838.38 round-trip air fare for 2 that includes taxes. We got air through Carnival for $823.90. including airport taxes. Not much of a difference, but still a difference.

Deal, or no deal, that's the nature of my question. We booked a 1a on Liberty, cabin # 2462 for 469pp, for 2 people. 6-day cruise leaving on the 10th of February (valentine's week). Total cost of the trip which includes cabin 2462, which has 2 oceanview windows, round-trip airfare, pre-night hotel stay with transfers pre & post cruise for $2257.20. Just curious, do you guys think we got a deal, or would you have said no deal?

That's kinda steep for a 1a. The windows are only portholes. 1a's are also either an upper/lower(bunk beds) or a single twin bed and a single sleeper sofa.

That's kinda steep for a 1a. The windows are only portholes. 1a's are also either an upper/lower(bunk beds) or a single twin bed and a single sleeper sofa.
Not in this particular cabin, they are 2 oceanview size windows, and it's an L shaped cabin with a good sized bed, I found this room using the search feature and typing in liberty cabin 2462. Some of the CC members have posted pics of it, it is like an oceanview room for the price of a 1a.

Guest CRUZIN' SUZIN

You could have done better. Augusta is 3 hours from the Hartsfield airport. Parking is what $15 a day ($100 total) or you could have rented a car for one day, one way for, again, less than $100. You could have driven to Atlanta. Grab a Delta sale on flights and probably gotten to FLL for less than $400 total.

Also, you and hubby may not be happy with the cat. 1A. They are better suited for solo cruisers and single adults with child in tow. Carnival has the most narrow beds in existence. There will be no hanky panky unless it is on the floor.

I cruise solo and usually only book Cat. 1a guaranteed with the expectation that I will be upgraded to a Cat. 4 at least. That way I get the two beds.

If he is so particular about not driving he is not going to be happy when he sees the configuration of a Cat 1a cabin -- 1 single bed and a sofa and/or a pull down.

Oh well, if you can get out of it, do so. If not, stop reading this thread. It will depress you.:(

However, have the bestest time possible.:)

Not in this particular cabin, they are 2 oceanview size windows, and it's an L shaped cabin with a good sized bed, I found this room using the search feature and typing in liberty cabin 2462. Some of the CC members have posted pics of it, it is like an oceanview room for the price of a 1a.

That is correct! I'm booked in that cabin on the Glory in July.

Guest CRUZIN' SUZIN

What is a good sized bed? I thought all the beds on Carnival ships started out as twins? There are other sizes beds???

I's never been in a suite so me be under familiar with them there luxaries:p

Simple answer, scroll to the top of this page. You will see the Cruise Critic Banner, 2 lines below is a link to CC Home, to the right is a link to Cruise Agencies. [ All advertisers on CC, they pay for our habit] Click on that and you'll find 15+ links to shop your cruise.

You can act like you're booking your cruise and get an exact quote instead of our opinions which are good overall but might be poor for any particular cruise.

For instance, we got home last week from a 10 day Southern Carib. cruise on Princess. [RT FLL.] We drove to the port [2hrs.] so no air cost. But total for 10 days in a BA [top deck balcony cabin] plus parking was $2600 total for 2 incl all taxes, etc.

Makes your price for a bottom end cabin 6 day sound poor. But the agency quotes will tell you if you did well or not. Last year we took a 14 day Princess cruise for $2600 for 2 OV. Looked up that cruise 2 days ago, this year its $2589. PP plus taxes for an OV [all else sold out] So more than double what we paid last year.

Research the agencies, then you'll know.

Dan

What is a good sized bed? I thought all the beds on Carnival ships started out as twins? There are other sizes beds???

I's never been in a suite so me be under familiar with them there luxaries:p

i believe 2 twins pushed together. Click on search & punch in Liberty cabin 2462, there is a pic of it on one of the threads

I am on the cruise too. Go to our thread listed as Feb. 11 valentine cruise. My husband and I are going without the kids for our 10 yr anni. The price does seem a little high though. I booked a balcony guarentee last Feb. We already got upgraded to deck 10 panorama deck and we payed $1358 including tax for the both of us. We didnt need air being we live 40 min. from Fort Lauderdale. Hope to see you on roll call

Archived