Neptune Concierge Tipping

OceanLiner

I sincerely wish to apologize about my 'flaming' comment. It has been a very hectic day at work and I did not take the proper amount of time to carefully read ALL the posts reference the calling cards.

I went back to the very start of this thread and read all the replies and now have a better understanding of what was written.

There was NO flaming on anyone's part. The replies were thoughtful and indeed all made very valid points to consider.

The bottom line is to tip the appropriate amount in cash. Follow up with a personal thank you and make sure the comment cards reflect your satisfaction with the staff.

So again, I sincerely apologize for my unwarranted remark and will make every effort to completely read the replies.

Thanks to you all for being such a good group of cruisers!

Hey dave,

Way off topic.

What are the best wines coming from the Russian River these days? Love a good Pinot. Just got our shipment from Navarro in the Anderson Valley. They are a sentimental winery for us and will help us celebrate our anniversary next week on the Noordam.

The phone cards were only mentioned by way of passing how what we did on one ship was remembered by a crew member who went to another ship. The DCL phone card idea worked well, but only as a token of our regard. We believe that cash works the best, and is certainly the most enjoyed by the crew. We have use the phone cards since then, but never as the primary tip.

Back on topic, the concierge staff really do need phone cards in that they have unlimited access to the internet. We found that the people who really liked the cards were the busboys and the support staff. They usually do not get any recognition.

Hey dave,

Way off topic.

What are the best wines coming from the Russian River these days? Love a good Pinot. Just got our shipment from Navarro in the Anderson Valley. They are a sentimental winery for us and will help us celebrate our anniversary next week on the Noordam.

We had a Navarro Late Harvest Gewurz on Saturday night - luscious! And next weekend we'll be sure to toast you while we enjoy the Russian River Wine Road Wine & Food Affair. So I'll let you know when you get back what's really good. :) But some I've liked lately:

Teldeschi Terranova

Lynmar Pinot Noir (& Chardonnay)

Iron Horse Cabernet

Thumbprint Carignan

Lambert Bridge Sauvignon Blanc

Hawley Viognier

Darn! Now you got me thirsty. Gotta go open something. Fortunately, just found a good source of half bottles.....

Bon Voyage, or maybe "Chin, chin!"

Thanks Dave,

Love those late harvests.

Just to make you thirstier, here's what I am planning to take onboard.

A bottle of Dom

3 vintages of Navarro Pinot

Navarro Chard

Fess Parker Pinot

Silver Oaks Cab (Yum!)

Far Niente Cab (Been holding this one for a while.)

Grgich Hills Cab

Caymus Conundrum

Now I'm thirsty. That should get us to the first port. Oh yeah, I forgot all about the port. Now I have to do some more shopping.

Barry

I have to agree here , cash works for me :)

Like one of the other posters mentioned "one size fits all" the recipient can do whatever he choses with it. Maybe he doesn't have anyone to call back home, One just assumes there is a wife and kiddies. Maybe the family can really use the cash instead of a phone call. No one really knows the circumstances of an individual employee , just giving cash takes all the guess work away , and you definately know the employee will put it to good use, no matter what he/she does with it.

I agree with Sail, T shirts and trinkets aren't such a great idea. A) they just don't have the room for all that stuff, B) as much as they will be appreciative when you give it to them, it doesn't hold the same value to them as the giver.

Just to make you thirstier, here's what I am planning to take onboard.

A bottle of Dom

3 vintages of Navarro Pinot

Navarro Chard

Fess Parker Pinot

Silver Oaks Cab (Yum!)

Far Niente Cab (Been holding this one for a while.)

Grgich Hills Cab

Caymus Conundrum

Now THAT's a good cruise! Although I haven't been able to drink the Fess Parker Pinot since seeing "Sideways" :rolleyes:

Archived