Who agrees with me?

djm719

Balcony it is - but it is an extravagance, however, one that I enjoy and feel like the expenditure is worth it. If I couldn't, yes, you bet I would book an inside. We have relatives that travel with us that are much more financially able to book a balcony or suite but it isn't important to them and they always book an inside. So everybody places their values differently. I might add if my husband were making the reservations or wasn't surprised when we boarded, I may not have ever been on a balcony. He never knows the accommodations - but he always likes whatever it is.

Happy sailing folks whatever the case may be.:D

I disagree....I have booked several balconies and JS. I say it depends on who you're cruising with. If I were to go with hubby or girlfriends, we book a balcony because we would tend to use it more. I have been on two cruises where the cigar/cigarette smoke has been so bad, we could not even open the door. When I cruise alone with my children, I usually book least expensive inside. To me a balcony does not make the cruise any better. I have equally great time in the least expensive cabin.
\

Give me a break. Don't turn this into a smoking thread please.

First 3 cruises were inside with my sister & I and that worked fine. The last cruise my bil came along and we upgraded to a JS and really needed the room. The balcony was great and as we booked our future 2, my sister said NO MORE INSIDE. For December 06, we considered an oceanview, but the price difference was not significant, so we went balcony. For our Panama Canal trip in Sept 07, we went JS, even tho the price was significantly higher. We decided 16 days of 3 of us (my BIL is now hooked as well) in a room, we needed to go JS. For me, if it is just my sis & I, I wouldn't care as long as I got to go.

On our first cruise, my DW & I got an inside cabin thinking that I might sleep a little later. I'm used to getting up early to go to work. I still got up early.

Our second cruise was with my teenaged sons, we got 2 insides because of price. My wife & I wanted some adult alone time - if you know what I mean.

After that we booked Ocean views & Loved It.

Our next cruise we've booked our first balcony! My wife talked me into it. We will see if we can go back.

The best cabin we ever had we our first inside. It was on the top deck on the Celebrity Century. An inside across from the Sky Suites. You walked down to the pool area! Beautiful cabin on a beautiful ship.

I'd rather go in an inside than not at all.

Our first 4 cruises were outside oceanview cabins. This time we are going on a balcony for the first time. I am so looking forward to eating breakfast out on our own private balcony, hanging out with a drink and just sitting there watching the waves and relaxing. I guess I'll never to back to an oceanview like the original OP said!

We did the same thing - 4 cruises with ocean view & the 5th was a balcony. I knew it'd be great but it was better than I thought. We enjoyed sitting on the balcony anytime we were in the room. Beautiful sunsets. It's great leaving the door open & hearing the waves. We have 2 cruises scheduled with balcony cabins. May not always have one, but cost permitting I'll book one. Enjoy that balcony!!

We had our first balcony last year on the Grand Princess - it was really nice, I sat out there all the time reading - a pelican came and nested on the deck below us for a few hours - I watched him - saw those flying fish - lots of water. What I missed was a lot of ship activities because I was out on the balcony all the time... When we had an inside cabin, we spent sea days up on deck, at the pool, meeting people - it just seems like we did more. That being said, when we came home from the Princess cruise, we felt totally relaxed - I guess from sitting on the balcony vegging out. Our two upcoming cruises, I have to admit, I booked balconies. But I think I will be able to balance the cruise better next time. It really was nice relaxing out there on the balcony... DH and I both have high stress jobs - so it was a true luxury. But, if we could not afford a balcony cabin, I would be in an inside - that's for sure...

We have lived and learned much the same way others on this thread have. We have had inside, oceanview, as well as balconies. With two kids, the balcony becomes and extra room for us. We like to enjoy a drink before dinner, and the balcony seems perfect. I smoke, and out of respect for the wife and kids, I do it outside on the balcony. My kids have photos of dolphins taken from our balcony. If it comes down to it, we can do without it, but prefer not to.

Not true for us. On our Alaska cruise it was a waste. On a two wek cruise to Panama canal it was great. Other cruises on FOS and AOS we had a promenade cabin and loved that. We always cruise with at least another couple, so we do not spend a great deal of time in our room. So for us it depends on the length of the cruise and the itinerary and of course the price.

D1 so far is our favorite as we are top floor, usually AFT but this last cruise 10/15 on Freedom we were 5th balcony from the front & it was NICE! I visited a friend in an inside & had to leave as there is no room for more than one person. SO one showers & the other dresses then that will work I guess but not for us.

Celebrity has the smallest balconies that we ever had & that was on the premiere of their Concierge Class (which we got for $100 more than 2C). The dressed table barely fit on it & the 2 chairs had little room to get in & out. The last November we were CC AFT 9201 on Summit. What a disaster! A teak floored bar atop us with heavy wooden tables & chairs so it was a war zone all day & night. Then at 2AM & 5AM they pressure wash the place putting all their garbage & all the water across the 5 AFT CC staterooms. Padded loungers, table & chairs were soaked & stunk! We wanted to move as this was a 2 week Trans canal & in the heat it was very unhealthy. But they refused stating our TA knew about the location of the room. I had the same room on Constellation & that bar was carpeted! Very nice stateroom with excellent view (wraparound to starboard). Then they smash my left foot with their gangway.......

Princess had nice large balconies on Caribe deck but with us at Platinum level we were upgraded to mini suite every cruise of the last 3. Had a butler, free mini bar, slippers with robe & all that disappeared when Carnival took over.

RCCL wins for giving Diamond level members of C&A very nice perks from priority embarkation, free specialty coffee with food in Concierge Lounge, and free cocktails from 5-9PM. Then we get very nice amenities in our D1 stateroom also.

Our first cruise was an inside cabin for 5 days - then we upgraded to an oceanview on our next couple of 3 day cruises - and thought that was neat -then our 7 day cruise we choose balcony!!! How sweet it was to have that space and have morning coffee out there and watch the ocean go by and the sound of the ocean at night was soooo relaxing. You are right - balcony for us - unless it is too costly.

Cruiser052

the best possible room so we went with a Promenade so they could have a suite. It's there anniversary after-all. We got connecting PR's for us/kids. I am not unhappy with this choice at all. I am really looking forward to it.

For me, it depends on the length of the cruise.

A 7-night or longer a balcony is a must.

A 3-4 night cruise, not really. We did a 4-night Carnival and had an inside room and really didn't miss the balcony for that short a time. And it was nice having the room completely dark, great for those afternoon naps so we could stay up late and enjoy the late-night entertainment!!

If it gets me on a cruise...I'd sleep in a closet. :o

We would rather cruise twice as much in an inside or OV. I think a balconey is not cost worthy in colder climates and port intensive itineraries.

I also appreciate those who do pay the freight for a balconey for subsidizing those of us in the cheap seats. We eat the same food, watch the same shows, arrive at the same ports, :) and pay a percentage of the cost. :D

Archived