Unusual things to pack

junobeach

I have most of the above mentioned items packed. Will need to add a few more things now!! Also am taking the large 4-5" long hair clamps. I read a previous tip to use these to hold the bottoms of the shower curtain in place during your shower and they also work to hold your beach towel onto the chair. Hope it works. I've wrestled with both over the years.

Only 11 more days until the Radiance of the Seas.

I have most of the above mentioned items packed. Will need to add a few more things now!! Also am taking the large 4-5" long hair clamps. I read a previous tip to use these to hold the bottoms of the shower curtain in place during your shower and they also work to hold your beach towel onto the chair. Hope it works. I've wrestled with both over the years.

Only 11 more days until the Radiance of the Seas.

All good ideas. Many of these items I keep in a blanket-size plastic zipper bag in the closet so they will always be ready for the next cruise. Here are some other things that work for me. I have, in my computer, a document that I call "Cruise Essentials Checklist". Before a cruise, I print off a copy and use it as I begin preliminary packing. It's easy to edit as necessary, so I always have a current copy for every cruise. Just before the cruise, I do a final check to be certain DH and I have what we need. We always take a small travel coffee pot (unbreakable), fresh-ground coffee (our favorite blend), and insulated coffee mugs. We LOVE to sit out on the balcony every morning to drink our coffee and prefer to make our own so we don't have to wait for room service. I also print off calendar pages for our cruise dates (a Word document) and add ports of call and other relevant details that we will need to remember. Since we always book a balcony stateroom, I usually take a small spray-bottle of Windex (in a zip-bag to prevent leaks) and a squeegie for cleaning the salt spray off the glass partition. And I print "calling cards" on card stock (using Microsoft Publisher) that include our name, address, and phone numbers. That makes it easy for our tablemates, stateroom attendant, and others to remember our names and, if necessary, correspond with us after the end of the cruise. I also slip one with a hand-written "thank you" in the envelope with our end-of-cruise gratuities. Other things: a fleece throw so I can take a nap without messing up the bed that our stateroom attendant has so carefully made, a few fresh limes and a paring knife for our in-room rum and coke, pages printed from our Frommer's PORTS OF CALL travel book to help us get around ashore, a few coat hangers (there never seem to be enough), a small collapsible insulated bag (great for cold drinks ashore), a collapsible canvas bag (also for taking ashore).

Something else I forgot to add: We always use brightly-colored luggage straps on all our checked luggage, which make it infinitely easier to locate our bags in all that sea of luggage. The baggage handlers even seem to make an effort to group the bags with the same-color straps.

My best item packed would be the over the door shoe holder I purchased at Target 2 years ago for $5 bucks! It holds so many items and it takes up no space to pack. Let's face it, the bathrooms in those cabins have little to no storage space. This lets you keep all sorts of items from bathroom to sunglasses...to lotion...dewrinkler...batteries...disposable cameras...etc.

my waterproof wallet for around my neck for exiting the ship or on swim days. Its nice to know where my seapass is at all times and some dollar bills for tipping :)

this is a great thread...with so many great ideas :)

E..

Just don't forget the kitchen sink

It may be lengthy, but it is what I use.

icon1.gifPacking List

Someone emailed me and asked me to post the packing list that was sent around on the Mariner thread from last November. Here it is for whoever asked.

For easy reference, here is a packing list compiled over the past year by a group of CC members. You may not need all of this, but it is a good reference to start a list.

Enjoy your cruise.

Pepto Bismol

Imodium (anti diarhea)

First Aid Kit - Band Aids , Neosporin, Aloe Vera (burns)

Sunglasses

Ear Plugs for the water

IPOD - Need music at the beach.

Playing Cards - Some of the group want to play some rounds

Door Decorations - Holiday Themed to spruce up the place, or your Meet and Mingle Door Sign. Don't forget tape to attach to the door.

Extension Cord - we all have lots of things to charge

Post It Notes - Easy for notes on doors of friends and instructions for your room attendant. Great for getting extra pillows.

Bubble Pack - For packing breakable you buy on the cruise and wrinkle reducer for the trip there.

Duct Tape - For more reasons than one can list.

Super Glue- never leave home without it!

Downey Sheets - Keeps your suit case fresh smelling before and after.

Alarm Clock - They are not on the boat (wake up calls are available)

Address Labels - PrePrinted for post cards

Photo Copies of Pass Port and ID - Just in case you need them

Flashlight - In case of power loss in the dark

Walkie Talkies - For Communicating (or rent the cell phones on-board)

Closet Style Shoe Holder - Packs light and makes great sorter in closet or bathroom door.

Collapsable Laundy Basket- holds dirty clothes in the closet neatly and takes up no room at all in luggage.

Super Large Zip Lock Bags - Use to seperate pre-cruise packing items / Use to pack dirty laundry - damp items on the last night.

Night Light - It's better than the bathroom light on all night

Sewing Kit - Don't want a Janet Jackson do you...?

Travel Iron - There is no Self Serve laundry on RCCL

Small Bottle of Laundry Soap - For soaking spills in the bathroom sink.

Downey Wrinkle Release Spray - For minor wrinkle issues - No Ironing

Clothes Pins - For hanging wet swim wear in the bathroom

Long Pants - Required for ice skating

Hi Liters - For marking your Daily Compass activity plans (one color for each person in your group.)

Binoculars - (Obvious)

Camera / Camcorder - (Buy your underwater disposable before leaving (much cheaper $$$))

Camera Accessories - Film,Chargers, Cords, USB Cords, Spare Alkaline Batteries in case you forget to charge at night.

Digital Camera's - Bring extra Memory Chip - You will take more pictures than you plan.

Bathroom Air Freshner (spray) - How do I put this delicate? For large odors in a small space.

Xtra Coat Hangers - But em cheap, leave em behind when done. You can iron the night before at your hotel and hang for quick transfer to the closet on board.

Soda Pop - If you only want a few for the week, bring your own.

Hats/ Visors - The sun is a killer if you are not used to it. Scalps can badly burn.

SunScreen - Much cheaper to bring your own.

Snorkel Gear - Bring your own - Cheper than the cost to rent. Leave behind when done - hand off to kids on the beach.

Seasick Meds - Bonine, PAtch, Ginger Pills, Whatever, just rbign them.

Most Important - Docs, Passports and $$$$$

CAS_logo_txt.gif

Archived