Bonine/Dramamine

junobeach

Does anyone know if it works after you get sea sick? I don't usually have problems, but if we hit very high seas, I may get sea sick. I don't plan to take it "just in case", because I haven't had any problems ever on a cruise ship, but did once on a very small boat in a bay.

It works best to prevent, so for me, it has to be in the system. We take it starting a day before the cruise and every day of the cruise. Never have any problems with seasickness, and I am very prone to motion sickness on planes and autos.

Hypo

I agree with Hypo. I get terribly seasick even at the mention of any kind of motion. I had ginger tablets, ginger altoids and sea bands, but nothing worked until I took the Bonine offered on the ship. I have my own supply now so I can take it before I get on the ship and will avoid any unpleasant "upheavals" the first day, not to mention the whole cruise.

Last year on one of our cruises the water was pretty rough. They cancelled the show that night because the ship was rocking so bad the singers/dancers couldn't perform. My DH has never been sick before and we've never taken anything. We went back to the cabin and he took a whole bonine and went to bed. Totally knocked him out - feeling no pain. If he has to use it again he'll only take 1/2 a tablet at a time - taking a whole tablet made him feel real sluggish the next day.

I recommend Bonine because for most people it won't make you drowsy. And you can take it after you're feeling sick and it will work within half an hour or so. At leats that's been my experience. I get very motion sick in cars and on planes, but usually on the ship I'm fine. I guess it's a different kind of motion. But if it does get rough, the bonine does the trick. Only thing is you have to chew bonine - some people can't stand the taste. Dramamine you swallow but it has a sour aftertaste.

From someone who gets motion sickness with motion in the backyard pool, yes.... you can take the seasick meds once you get sick but it works soooooo much better if you take it ahead of time. Also just for the record, I've never had to chew any Bonine or Dramamine. Both types that I have tried (including Bonine from the pursers desk), you swallow it with water. The down side is both made me a bit drowsy. I'll pick drowsy over seasickness any day though :o .

Veronica

First cruise we took the Bonine. My husband took it right away. I didn't take it until after dinner the first night when we were all stumbling into each other waiting for the dining room doors to open. It helped with the motion sickness for both of us, better for my husband since I didn't start taking it until I was already sick (it was just slow to kick in.)

The problem with it was we slept like babies through the entire cruise. We'd go to watch a show, order our drinks and be sleeping in our seats before the waiter got back with our order. Most people don't get the sleepiness with it. For the 2 of us it knocked us out. But we weren't nauseous anymore!

This last cruise we went to the doctor and got prescriptions for the patch. Wore them through the whole week. It worked really well. No motion sickness and no excessive sleepiness. Only side effect we felt was about day 3 we developed a bit of blurriness with our vision. Nothing drastic, but more like my prescription was slightly off on my glasses. Didn't think about it being the patch until one night at dinner something was mentioned about their vision being off. Started comparing with everyone at the table wearing the patch and we all seemed to be having varying degrees of this same side effect.

Even with the side effects though the patch will be our first choice on all future cruises. While the vision thing was noticeable, it didn't interfere with or stop our participation in any activity throughout the week. It was noticeable enough that I would have hesitated to drive a vehicle in that condition. But thankfully the captain was taking care of that for me and I was never approached at any time to come up and take a shift at the wheel :rolleyes:

We were just on a positioning cruise from Vancouver to Hawaii. We saw lots of people with the little red dots behind the ears and the wrist bands hugging the wrists.

The most motion we had all cruise was the shuttle bus from the dock to the airport in Hilo! I'm convinced that sea-sickness is mind over matter. I came across from UK in October 1967 and for four days we were in a Force 10 gale! I had a great time, as did the other folks who decided it wasn't going to bother us!

A few years ago we were waiting to take a sunset dinner cruise out of Honolulu. A woman sitting next to us in the waiting room kept saying, "Oh I'm sure I'm going to be sick, I know I'm going to get seasick, I don't know why I'm going, I'm bound to get sick." Guess what....she got sick!

If you ever feel a bit squeamish, just go out on deck, look at the horizon and eat a soda cracker and have a drink of Sprite/7UP mixed with water.

I don't mean to discount the folks who do suffer from motion sickness, but try not to think about it, and you'll probably not get ill.

Happy sailing.... :)

I am very prone to motion sickness but don't let it keep me from cruising. I take the Dramamine less drowsy formula and it works best for me. I also take it l hour before my plane ride to my cruise and keep taking it until I get home. I find if I wait until I feel nauseaus, it takes a long time until I feel better. The patch gives me too many side effects. I get blurred vision and my throat is so dry and scratchy it keeps me up at night. I'm just thankful there's something to take. Do what works for you and keep cruzn.

I'm convinced that sea-sickness is mind over matter. I don't mean to discount the folks who do suffer from motion sickness, but try not to think about it, and you'll probably not get ill. Happy sailing.... :)

I didn't find this to be true for me. I went with my aunt who gets terribly seasick. She kept popping dramamine as a precaution while I said that I don't get seasick.

Well, guess who was seasick the first day - me!:rolleyes:

Took Bonine and was fine. So it does work after the fact and didn't cause me to be sleepy. Must have different effects for different people.

I've tried both the Bonine and Dramamine and find the Bonine to work better and not make me tired.

I am not prone to motion sickness on land or air- but that darn sea---- I think it is mostly the first day. I've found if I take it the first night I can sleep well and there is still enough in my system the following day to offset the motion yet not make me tired.

The Dramamine did nothing to help the sickness and it wiped me out and all I wanted to do was sleep regardless of when I took it.

I'm not sure about the mind over matter thing- I would almost have thought it was my DH writing the post because that is why he tells me he doesn't feel sick- I do not go on the cruise thinking "oh, I'm going to get sick", but facts are facts and regardless of what I am thinking, my body tells me differently.

Take a box with you just in case.

Looking over the horizon does not work for me. Once I'm sick...well...don't won't to go there ever again. I still talk about a glass-bottom boat experience in Lahaina. Talk about misery. :D

Bonine and dramamine both make my mouth dry. The patch does not do that to me. I don't put one on unless I start feeling too much motion. If you are in the beginning stage of feeling sick, you'll know it. The patch works in a flash. My husband wears one no matter what. He keeps it on for 3 days and then changes to a new one.

Our best patch story centers around 45 foot seas and 90 mph winds on a transatlantic crossing. Our feet were leaving the floor when we walked. We were smiling and enjoying the ride! Even the waiters were asking us if we had an extra patch with us.

I'm convinced that sea-sickness is mind over matter.

I don't mean to discount the folks who do suffer from motion sickness, but try not to think about it, and you'll probably not get ill.

Happy sailing.... :)

Ahhh, if that were only the true :rolleyes: . Statements like this always crack me up, you haven't experienced it so surely it must be false. If the ship is rocking enough, I will wake up out of a dead sleep to go hurl! I have certainly gotten seasick when I haven't given it a second thought.

I actually had a man say this same thing to me when I had morning sickness with pregnancy. I can only presume you have never been sea sick and never have been prone to it. Lucky you :)

I start taking the less-drowsy formula of Dramamine the night before we leave for a cruise and continue to take it for a week after I disembark. I also suffer from Mal d' Debarquement and if you think it is mind over matter, come see me after we return home. I practically fall out of the shower the rocking motion can be so bad. But, I've found that continuing the meds for a week drastically improves the condition.

For me, prevention is far better than "wait and see", because if I wait and see, it will be too late. I could not hold down the meds long enough to have them take effect.

But, don't think it doesn't exist because you have never experienced it before.

Bonine works great for us whether it be on airplanes, rides at an amusement park, in the car, or out boating.

It lasts as long as it claims and does not make us tired. Take it an hour before you travel as it says on the box and you should have no trouble!

Motion sickness is not a fun thing, and when you travle as much as I have to for work, you stick with what works!

GOOD LUCK! :)

with its fruit flavored melt in your mouth pills that I take very morning, even when not on a cruise as I have Vertigo and after the bad spell a few months ago I do not want it ever again. I got the bottle of 1000 pills of Meclazine (sp) for $5 but you need water for those.

When cruise day arrives & we fly in the day of the cruise thanks to RCCL air, I eat a pill before we leave so I am set for air, taxi ride in back seat & cruise. Then every morning I pop out a pill & eat it when I wake up, nice candy in the morning. Bonine works so I do not change for anything else.

Archived