Invisible room stewards

cmacf1

I've only been on one cruise (with the second one coming up soon!) but one thing I was amazed about was how our wonderful room steward on our HAL cruise last year seemed to completely clean our room and turn down the bed, but we never ever saw him, except in the hallways when he was cleaning other cabins. Since we had a 2 year old at the time, we were in the cabin a lot, but never once did our room steward do any work while we were there nor did we ever walk in on him working in our cabin. Is there some kind of electronic eye that tells the room steward when we're leaving the room???? I ask that because there was something that looked like an electronic eye right by the cabin door. I guess I'm just curious about how the stewards are able to do their jobs so efficiently and so invisibly (and so well!)

We have been on several cruises and only once did DH find the stewardess in the cabin ...he forgot the camera and went back

Other times they are in the hallways ot other cabins.

One cruise we never saw the steward for several days but we had a problem ...he was across the hall cleaning & when we went to tell him some kids had hung the "do not disturb " sign on our door not us he knew our names and cabin number. He had a lot of Do not disturb cabin that day.

Poor guy:( they only get so many hours to clean & those kids put him way behind schedule.

It is amazing how they know when you are out!;)

Consider yourselves fortunate, you experienced the services of an extremely well trained and expert steward. This is exactly the way cabin stewards are supposed to do their duties, especially in the "old days" - say pre 1998 cruising. If you saw them at all it was the first day and the last night.

It seems these days some modern cruisers get upset if they don't have a lot of interaction with their cabin steward...they don't realize it was never meant to be this way. This is why some of the longer servicing stewards can sometimes be a little "uncomfortable" with passenger interaction...when they were trained it was a no-no.

I was about to inquire about this also when I saw this thread.

Out of 5 cruises we have never caught our room steward in the cabin yet we have always had excellent stewards.

Is there some chance there is a motion or heat detector in the room that the steward could check? Simply opening and closing the door would not work because others could still be in the cabin.

I'm adding this question to the ones I already have to ask onboard on our next cruise.

Somebody on this board must know the answer...give it up!!

Cliff

We think they must live under the bed. On one of our cruises we left our cabin to go to dinner and were by the elevator when we realized that we forgot our camera. We went back to our room to get - only about 20 doors down - and our bed was made, fresh water in the pitcher and ice in the bucket, and clean towels.

Our room steward was nowhere to be seen. How he did all that in just under 5 minutes and totally be out of sight was totally amazing!

..........Is there some chance there is a motion or heat detector in the room that the steward could check? Simply opening and closing the door would not work because others could still be in the cabin. Cliff

See my reply above. That's what I was talking about. There's an electronic thingy that is "lit" whenever a passenger is in the cabin. That way, the steward doesn't just walk in and disturb the occupant.

It's a good thing, not something covert.:)

I've only been on one cruise (with the second one coming up soon!) but one thing I was amazed about was how our wonderful room steward on our HAL cruise last year seemed to completely clean our room and turn down the bed, but we never ever saw him, except in the hallways when he was cleaning other cabins. Since we had a 2 year old at the time, we were in the cabin a lot, but never once did our room steward do any work while we were there nor did we ever walk in on him working in our cabin. Is there some kind of electronic eye that tells the room steward when we're leaving the room???? I ask that because there was something that looked like an electronic eye right by the cabin door. I guess I'm just curious about how the stewards are able to do their jobs so efficiently and so invisibly (and so well!)

i have always said they have a hidden camera that sounds a signal when we leave the cabins. WE have actualy had room stewards that haven't even introduced themselve and still our cabin is always spotless. Most of them do a wonderful job. NMnita

I doubt they have the time to watch any camera eye, they are busy, busy, busy. Heat or motion sensors? Really, ya think :rolleyes: :confused:

I think they are just out and about and will notice you leaving your cabin. They probably have your dining time listed next to your cabin number and want to get in there when you vacate the cabin. It really doesn't take all that long to turn down a bed and put a chocolate on the pillow, especially if you are doing it all the time.

Just chalk it up to a little cruise magic and enjoy that it happens.

We love our cabin stewards and wish we had that service at home :) They are usually very sweet people and love to stop and chat a bit with you when you do see them. But, if we don't see them, not a problem, we know they are busy, hard working people.

On a Carnival ship we went back to the cabin to watch a Monday night game (Panthers were playing, can't help it!) and the steward was shocked when he walked in and there we were. Said he would caome back but we were perfectly OK with his being there while we were so he did his thing while we watched the game. So, I'm not sure about the electronic eye on Carnival. sue

So, I'm not sure about the electronic eye on Carnival. sue

Sue, I don't know if all Carnival ships use this system, but on both the Holiday and Paradise, the stewards told me about this. (I don't know about the other Carnival ships I've been on.)

Both stewards said that basically, it is for the benefit of the passengers. What if someone was sleeping in (or worse - getting out of the shower?) and the steward thought they were gone? Just walking into the cabin would not be such a great thing. So - the sensors let them know that someone IS in the cabin, so they won't just go into the cabin.

One of them told me that it also helps them to know if passengers are in the cabin when they should be at muster drill, and that way they can knock and knock and remind them they must attend muster drill, which is part of their job.;)

Cotton..I see where you are from G'Port. We are just north in Hattiesburg. Our Daughter lives in G'Port near I10. Hope that witch Katrina did not get you.

For some reason I thought you meant "eye" on the outside of the cabin door.

Cliff

Cotton..I see where you are from G'Port. We are just north in Hattiesburg.

Cliff

Off topic... but my sister lives in Purvis! Small world!

We went to some art show in down town Hattiesburg it sure is quiet there.

Cotton.. Hope that witch Katrina did not get you.Cliff

Hi Cliff - Unfortunately, Katrina completely demolished my 160 year old home on Beach Blvd., as well as all my neighbors' homes.:( I hope your DD came out ok.

On some ships, if the steward is waiting to do your room, they will put a little piece of paper between the door and the frame, so that when you open it (hopefully to come out:D ) the paper will fall to the floor and they can see it.

One night on QE2, we were sailing very close to shore and I was very late back to my cabin in order to get ready for dinner - I noticed the paper fall out, and quickly picked it up so he wouldn't come in while I was getting ready:eek:

I try to use the 'please make up room' sign regularly so he knows thats how to know.

I have had an electrician walk in on me (during one of my many afternoon naps:) ) and one evening after dinner (wanting an early night) the plumber was in trying to fix th shower (that I only reported as I went to dinner) - I left him to it!

Karen

LHT28..small world. We live near Purvis but use Hattiesburg as a reference and my DW has even taught school in Purvis.

Cotton..Sorry to hear about your loss. We had major damage but nothing like that. DD lives near Dedeaux Rd. and only had minor damage. I will always miss all those old homes on 90, and those old oaks that were so beautiful.

Cliff

LHT28..small world. We live near Purvis but use Hattiesburg as a reference and my DW has even taught school in Purvis.

Cliff

AHH she may know my BIL he is caretaker at the school there!

Bill B. is his name they live on Reagan dr..

LYN.. I know a nurse who is Canadian but only by her 1st. name. I will ask her if she is married to a Bill. Reagan Dr. is near where we live.

Cliff

My sister is not a nurse but her daughter Heather is.

You can contact me at LHT28 at yahoo.com and we can compare notes.

Archived