Noordam - Flex Dining

GMoney

I am sailing on Noordam on 12/16 to the Southern Caribbean.

I've read some threads here regarding flex dining, but just want to make sure I understand the situation correctly. Is Noordam offering flex dining in part of their dining room, and if so, is it the kind of situation where you just show up, and they seat you as quickly as possible, but you may share a table with other folks?

Thanks.

I believe the experiment you refer to in January is only on the Oosterdam. This is more of a true freestyle dining option.

Noordam apparently does have flex dining now. My understanding, is that if you are assigned early upper (5:45) or lower (6:15) you can arrive at the dining room from 5:30 - 6:00. (the doors will be closed after 6:00 and you will be directed to the LIDO.) If you have late dining upper or lower, you can arrive between 8:00 and 9:00. You will still be assigned a particular table (as has been done in the past), and that table is yours for the duration.

The only hitch I have seen in this is if you are for instance at a table for eight, and four of you show up at 8:00 and the other four don't show up until 8:45.

I have read that they hold up the early arrivers until all show up.

I have heard you will be served as you arrive, thus you may be eating your entree while the others are just getting their appetizers.

I have read if there is a big span between arrivals, they will attempt to seat the late comers at another table that has openings so the table can be served together.

How this span of arrivals is handled varies by cruise/Dining room Manager/Phases of the Moon, etc.

It is recommended that if you are at a larger table, that the group as a whole decides an appropriate time to arrive in upcoming evenings so all can be served at about the same time, thus avoiding the problem.

I also believe you will have an informational page in with your documents when they arrive. It should be soon, mine have been picked up and are on their way!

I have no first-hand knowledge on this, but other long-time posters (sail7seas, Grumpy1) have said it will be done on both the Oosterdam and Noordam in January, and Jhannah said it was tried on the Noordam last July, but only for that month.

I don't believe that it's in effect on the Noordam now, or will be for the OP's cruise 12/16. But I could be wrong! :)

It is recommended that if you are at a larger table, that the group as a whole decides an appropriate time to arrive in upcoming evenings so all can be served at about the same time, thus avoiding the problem.

Iquote]

And this of course is what is meant by 'flexible' dining! :(

Stephen

I don't believe that it's in effect on the Noordam now, or will be for the OP's cruise 12/16. But I could be wrong! :)

tomc's "live from..." thread indicated it continues as described on the Noordam.

This experiment started several months ago on the Oosterdam (January?), and was extended to the Noordam a few months ago (July?).

In January the Oosterdam will start a different experiment that is closer to "Personal Choice". The upper level will be fixed times/assigned tables. The lower level will be "come whenever".

Some I have seen have a quandry...

Which I do hope this may resolve some of them.

Like any dinner engagements for groups..clubs.. where a portion of the dining area is taken by YOUALL.. or getting your group together for One Table Two Tables etc... etc...

That way everyone arrives a similar time shedule and may have the Main Course ( a lot of people call that the entree INCORRECTLY) together served... . . .. .

We just had all our party over for dinner last night and agreed on a time frame. Then a good game of 15 DOT Dominos went on for a few hours...

Yes if you agree, even aboard the ship with your other Table/Ship Mates for a realitive time as well to say if they are as well you are going to be there tommorrow also or not.... with good communication it is so much earier and better for all.:eek:

Archived