Tours from Arica, Chile

PeggyCTB

We are booked on the March 11 Infinity sailing from Santiago, Chile to Fort Lauderdale. While docked in Arica one of the ship's tours goes to Lauca National Park. Another goes to the Archeological Museum of San Miguel de Azapa. Does anyone have any info on either of these? Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

Dear Peggy

We did this cruise in 2005 and one of our most memorable days was the day we spent in Arica. skip the ships tour and book the private guide we had. She was absolutely wonderful and everyone on the Infinity that we talked to after our tour was green with envy over what we did and saw vs what they got on the ships tour.

Whereas the ships tour only showed everyone the ancient etchings in the rock from the highway our guide took us into a farmers yard annd we actually got out of the van and took photos of us touching these etchings.

Whereas the ships tours provided only a "box lunch" we went to a wonderful local restaurant and enjoyed a delicious 5 course meal with the restaurant open privately for only our group.

The big buses the ship uses cannot go up the winding road over the sand dune from 1 valley to the next our van could

And the biggest plus of all - no line ups for using the washrooms at the various stops as it was only our group of 9 (the company was very happy to privide this tour to a smaller group but my numbers expanded due to chatting on the CC roll call board) and the price was considerably less than the ships tours.

If you want more info e-mail me at ann @ century 21 vancouver . com

Enjoy your trip - it is a fabulous one!!!

• 2 months later...

Would appreciate information on the tour guide you mentioned in this earlier post but cannot get through to your email as listed below. Is there a better email address or could you post the tour info on the thread?

Thanks

Dear Peggy

We did this cruise in 2005 and one of our most memorable days was the day we spent in Arica. skip the ships tour and book the private guide we had. She was absolutely wonderful and everyone on the Infinity that we talked to after our tour was green with envy over what we did and saw vs what they got on the ships tour.

Whereas the ships tour only showed everyone the ancient etchings in the rock from the highway our guide took us into a farmers yard annd we actually got out of the van and took photos of us touching these etchings.

Whereas the ships tours provided only a "box lunch" we went to a wonderful local restaurant and enjoyed a delicious 5 course meal with the restaurant open privately for only our group.

The big buses the ship uses cannot go up the winding road over the sand dune from 1 valley to the next our van could

And the biggest plus of all - no line ups for using the washrooms at the various stops as it was only our group of 9 (the company was very happy to privide this tour to a smaller group but my numbers expanded due to chatting on the CC roll call board) and the price was considerably less than the ships tours.

Would appreciate information on the tour guide you mentioned in this earlier post but cannot get through to your email as listed below. Is there a better email address or could you post the tour info on the thread?

Thanks

Drop the spaces and try again. I have had no problem emailing Ann. Her suggestions are great!

• 7 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

We used Joanne Duncan of Andrean Duncan tours in Arica Chile. She was absolutely the best! She greeted us on time in traditional Chilean costume. She loves her country and is very humble and informative. Joanne showed us all the different regions of Arica, petroglyphs, artifacts, a museuam, lovely craft market, etc.

We had a fabulous lunch at a very traditional Arican restarant and Joanne even had a suprpise for us - local entertainment!!! She also took us to a large vegetable and fruit market where we the only "non-locals" which was such fun - she bought different fruit for us to taste etc. At one stop, Joanne even had a small picnic of local cheese. pisco, olives and the like for us to enjoy.

The van on the tour was comfortable and Joanne truly was fantastic. All on the tour could not beleive the value for the wonderful service. If you use her, tell her Jolinda from NC says hello. I cannot recommend her highly enough.l

• 4 weeks later...

We used Joanne Duncan in April off the Infinity./ We have never had a more exciting guide who puts heart and soul into her tours. The tour goes to goat farms, local restaurants with local musical talent etc. Her history lessons are great. If you book her tell her Lee and Helga from the Infinity in Apr 2008 send personal regards.

I looked at the website but didn't see contact information. What am I missing? Thanks for all the good information.

Here you go (and for any others):

joanneduncan at gmail dot com

Joanne Duncan

Andean Duncan Tours

Phone: 56-58-314829

Mobile:56-09-5258095

We were on the same excursion with lawgirl and by far Joanne is committed to excellence and so, so nice. She made the day worth every penny!

• 4 years later...
  • 1 year later...
Dear Peggy

Do you remember the name of your tour company? Sounds great.