Capri or the Amalfi Coast?

We can't decide if we should just take the hydrofoil to the Island of Capri and venture on our own or if we should hire a driver to pick us up at the port and take us to the Amalfi Coast. :confused:

We already have driverinrome taking us around Rome and Florence/Pisa, but not sure what to do for Naples. I know that we will do our own thing in Venice, Monaco, Corfu and Croatia.

We have never been to Italy before and that is our #1 reason for this trip. What to do???

I'm just back from our Brilliance cruise. I did the Amalfi Coast with Remo (driverinrome) and will say it was one of the most fun days. The drive is full of amazing scenes and the road is not to be missed. I can't speak for what to see in Capri but from feedback from others, it sounded like if you go for 1/2 hour it's enough. Remo took us to a nice restaurant where we ate Italian family style, with great views, in Positano. Whatever you decide, enjoy!

It's Capri for us...a nice relaxing day walking around, shopping and a relaxing lunch over the sea. I get car sick and I'm not willing to take a chance on the Amalfi Coast. Beside's I live in Vancouver...I can drive to Whistler for the most spectacular scenery and scary roads :) Check out Caprilonline.com it's a great site and will show you that you won't be board in 1/2 hour ;)

We had to make the same decision when we were on the Radisson Diamond in October!

We chose Capri, we did it thoroughly by hiring a taxi when we got off the hydrofoil. He drove us to the Villa San Michele, and we were able to tour it before the hordes of tourists arrived on their tours. We checked out the wonderful hotel in Anacapri, but we didn't take the time to wait in the long line for the cable car to the top of the mountain.

He then took us for a wonderful lunch overlooking Marina Piccolo. There were no crowds of tourists there. Then he drove us all around the island, ending up back in Capri Town where we walked to the end of Via Tragara for the spectacular view. Then he drove us back down to the dock to get the hydrofoil.

When we compared notes with others who took the ship's shore excursion, we found that they paid much more, had a mediocre lunch, and didn't have time to walk the Via Tragara.

Now we certainly have to return to the Amalfi Coast in order to see the Amalfi Drive, Positano, Sorrento, Ravello and Pompeii! I truly think you could spend a week in that area and not see it all! You will love whatever you choose, and you will want to return!

Just got back from the med. This is the only time we did the ship excursion. I don't recommend it. It went to Capri, Sorrento and Pompeii. It depends on what you like. We really enjoyed Pompeii the history of the ruins were amazing. You can do both. Capri is very commercial lots of shops, but pretty. If I had it to do over I would choose the Almafi cost with Pompeii with a private tour. Trish

Hi Trish and Debbie, Laura here. Finally got around to checking the message board. I agree, doing it all in this port is just too much. We took a private tour with Giovanni (driverinrome) and had a wonderful day. I miss seeing everyone. What a wonderful trip we just had! Laura

Hi Trish and Debbie, Laura here. Finally got around to checking the message board. I agree, doing it all in this port is just too much. We took a private tour with Giovanni (driverinrome) and had a wonderful day. I miss seeing everyone. What a wonderful trip we just had! Laura

Where did Giovanni take you?

Thanks, Donna

Hi Donna,

We had a great day with Giovanni. First we went to Pompeii. We got there early and spent about an hour and a half. It was warm outside, and althought one could spend a whole day there, we had enough. Then we drove up the Amalfi coast. We ate in Amalfi at a little restaurant. We stopped here and there to take pictures and enjoy the views. I had no idea that it was so beautiful. Giovanni is an excellent driver and I (with my entire family) felt safe with him. The roads are narrow and winding. We spent time in Positano, looking in the little shops and tasting wine in one of the little stores. Years ago I went to Capri, and I knew that there would not be enough time to do both Capri and the Amalfi drive. If we had two days, we would do both. Capri is a lovely island filled with many tourists. It takes time to get there (I think about 40 minutes) and back, plus you may have to wait around to get on the hydrofoil. We were very happy with our time with Giovanni and I highly recommend him. Laura

Hi Laura,

What a great cruise. I didn't get to see you too much at the end. We had a great time at all the ports. Wasn't the water amazing at Corfu? We rented motorcycles great prices and went swimming. My dad took a little spill so that cut the day short. How was the rest of your week? Trish

Hi Trish,

We had a great week. In Corfu went spent the day at the beach (ship tour). It was relaxing. We ate there and relaxed. Matt and JoJo went parasailing. Rome was wonderful. We saw as much as we could with Fabrazio (driverinrome). The kids loved Saint Peters. I only wish that we had more time. You all made it home OK? Did you stay in Barcelona? I didn't see you on our outbound flight. Laura

Laura,

None of my pictures, inside of Saint Peters came out. I guess the I should have turned off the flash. We only had about 1/2 an hour, that didn't seem like enough time. I guess you need more than a day in Rome.

John

We just got back from a Med cruise and we did Pompeii in the morning and then the Amalfi Coast drive with Marcello's driver Adrianno. It was a wonderful day. I guess you could also do Pompeii and Capri but that would be it - either/or. Marcello seemed to think that Capri was really "Touristy" and very crowded. It's beautiful, but so are a lot of other places along the Amalfi coast. We also had a wonderful lunch at a restaurant near Positano. It was a great day!

We had Adrianno, as well. We did it just the opposite, and finished the day in Pompeii. It worked out really well. There were no crowds at all. We went to the baths, and we were the only ones in there (I hear it is usually packed). Isn't Adrianno a character? He was honking the horn (as an instrument), while he sang opera songs. You definately want to pay the extra 100 euro and get a tour guide in Pompeii. We only had an hour and half there, but we definately saw all the important stuff and learned alot.

I have been to both Capri (2 years ago) and the Amalfi coast (2 years ago and 2 weeks ago on the Mille cruise.) The Amalfi coast should not be missed if you have never seen them. We hired a private guide/driver [salvatore Luicibello] who first took us to Pompei where a guide was waiting. (We shared this guide with about 12 people. She was good but it turned about to be only about an hour + tour of Pompei saying that we needed the time for the Amalfi coast.) We then met up with our driver again [bMW minibus] who drove us on the Amalfi coast to Positano, then to Amalfi and finally to Ravello. (All 3 towns should definitely not be missed along with the drive in between!) We had lunch at a great out of the way place between Amalfi and Ravello eating outdoors overlooking a cliff with a view of the sea. The restaurant was surrounded by the scent of honeysuckle and jasmine and the prices were great. (I had a meal with wine but I would strongly recommend the thin crust pizza in this area, a taste of which proved to be terrific!) I think we paid all of 12 euros per person for the lunch. We did Capri 2 years ago but I didn't think it compared to the Amalfi coast. If you do go to Capri and don't take a tour, when you arrive, take the cable car to the top to reach Anacapri. We then took a bus to the Blue Grotto, which was fun. The problem when you are on a cruise though (we weren't that time) is it all takes a long time so time is an issue. I would also check out the Caesar Augustus Hotel, which is right outside of the main town of Anacapri (at the top of Capri). The views and the pool area are spectacular. I hope this helps!

We can't decide if we should just take the hydrofoil to the Island of Capri and venture on our own or if we should hire a driver to pick us up at the port and take us to the Amalfi Coast. :confused:

We already have driverinrome taking us around Rome and Florence/Pisa, but not sure what to do for Naples. I know that we will do our own thing in Venice, Monaco, Corfu and Croatia.

We have never been to Italy before and that is our #1 reason for this trip. What to do???

Hi John, Most of my photos inside of Saint Peters were also very dark and did not come out. Almost all my photos in Southern France were ruined. I have a new digital camera, and I am still learning, and it was on the video mode. I guess I won't make that mistake again. Laura

Hi Laura,

Yes, we stayed another day in Barcelona. It was nice but I was ready to go home. That is a bummer about your pictures. I could try to email my France pictures to you. I have never done that but would be willing to try. We made it home just fine. I thought I would be more tired but I think having all the private tours made the trip so easy and we saw everything and more with plenty of time to spare. Thank goodness for pictures because some places the camera picked up the detail I couldn't take in. Trish

Having visited Capri twice I would definately choose the Amalfi Coast option as on the visits we made to Capri it was full to busting point.The chance to visit Positano and Ravello and perhaps Pompei,Sorrento and Amalfi should not be passed up as any of these towns far surpass anyhing you will find on Capri.Positano and Ravello are my two favourite places and if shopping is your thing then Sorrento will take care of that. W alhave used Salvatore Lucibello of ***** twice and have had lunch on that Honeysuckle and Jasmine scented terrace of the small restaurant in Pontone.

Mike

Those of you who have done both are very lucky indeed. This was our first trip to this area of the world and after our day in the Amalfi Coast area I can see this would be a place to return. I'd love to see Capri and the Blue Grotto looks like quite a site......but since we only had this one short day I'm glad we spent it touring Rovelo, Positano, Amalfi Coast and Sorrento (we actually only saw Sorrento from a distance as the traffic and itinerary only allowed a pass by). I hope my family and I are able to return and spend more time than this cruise allowed in each port.

Archived