Bringing Wine

rinshin

Is there a corkage fee for wine consumed in the cabin? It is easy to bring a corkscrew but will a wine cooler and ice be provided?

Corkage is only charged in the dining rooms. Ice & coolers can be provided as can refrigerators.

Chivalrygirl: Screwcaps, or "Stelsen Closures" are fast catching on in the US also. But we give full marks to you Kiwis for getting the ball rolling through the Screwcap Initiative!

On Statendam Sept/Oct like I said when we asked our room steward he said ring room service and the boy arrived, opened the wine (also a gift from TA), I asked if we might keep the corkscrew as we were on the ship for 5 weeks, but he couldn't leave, so everytime we needed a corkscrew we had to call roomservice. Downunder we now bottle our wines using screwcaps, got used to it very quickly, its great!

Hmmmmmmm that is odd

I could see the steward not leaveing a fancy opener behind . Not saying you would do it :), but I bet those things tend to dissapear.

But I can't see why they couldn't provide you with even a little plastic cheapie like they gave us. It didn't open the bottle like the fancy "Rabbit" one we have at home , but it did the job, and certainly better than calling room service all the time.

Corkage is only charged in the dining rooms. Ice & coolers can be provided as can refrigerators.

Chivalrygirl: Screwcaps, or "Stelsen Closures" are fast catching on in the US also. But we give full marks to you Kiwis for getting the ball rolling through the Screwcap Initiative!

I think that might be a Stelvin Closure. And some of us will miss the uncorking ceremony:( .

I think that might be a Stelvin Closure. And some of us will miss the uncorking ceremony:( .

Yep we all thought the same, totally irritated to begin with, while we were on Statendam we actually found ourselves getting rather irritated with the bottles we had purchased that had corks. Just shows probably the faster you get the top off the faster you get to drink. lol

Most certainly does nothing to make the contents taste any differently and probably will make them keep a lot longer and in a better condition. I guess only time will tell.

I was thinking of the Texas version - a combination wine closure and cowboy hat... ;)

There's still plenty of wines with good corks - just not enough good corks for all the wine. And a screw cap is much better than a bad cork.

I could not agree more! How many good bottles of wine have been ruined by cork. I welcome the day when all nice wines either have a screw cap or if you really enjoy the ceremony a synthetic cork! But for the good of all imbibers and wine aficionados let us consign natural cork to the dustbin of history once & for all.

Just back from Zuiderdam 11/11-11/18, and there was no corkscrew in the cabin (VB Verandah). We anticipated as much when we went liquor shopping the night before in Fort Lauderdale (nice liquor store across from the Holiday Inn Express) and picked up a cheap 99c corkscrew, along with 6 bottles of wine and two bottles of Baileys (I know, I know...no hard liquor, but our cabin steward never said a word and it was great for drinks on the balcony).

Archived