Cunard Line shacking up with Princess Cruises in Los Angeles

eroller

Michael,

I agree that Philip Dawson's book, "Cruise Ships: An Evolution in Design," is an EXCELLENT book. This is one of my favorite cruise ship books and I refer to it frequently. You are the first person I have encountered who knows about this wonderful book.

[quote name='Druke I']I think that those of you arguing back and forth should read Phillip Dawson's Cruise Ships.[/QUOTE]I'm waiting to put in a book order from the UK (one book not in stock yet) and that will be part of it.

I've heard a lot about it and it sounds like a fantastic book, even if it is fantastically expensive.

I have been worried about Carnival not having the same prorities as Cunard, in terms of traditions (such as kennels, for example).

However, I will be glad to see better customer service (hopefully). Cunard has seemed rather muddled at times. Also, there doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason with regard to being a World Club member (I have yet to see any perks for this---forget that---I get nothing from Cunard in the mail, and where's our website?)

Also, I found it disappointing that I previously booked early enough for a crossing, and received what seemed to be one of the worst cabin choices, as well as dining room table choice. The crossing turned out well anyway, but as a regular now on these crossings, I was surprised, and wonder if it had something to do with my complaining to Miami prior to that crossing (although I am always very polite if I complain). I will certainly never purchase a Guaranteed cabin again.

Anyone experience this kind of behavior from Miami? Cunard in the UK seem very nice, on the other hand.

Molly

[quote name='Host Doug']I'm waiting to put in a book order from the UK (one book not in stock yet) and that will be part of it.

I've heard a lot about it and it sounds like a fantastic book, even if it is fantastically expensive.[/QUOTE]
Doug,

I had an outstanding order for the Dawson book at an the UK branch of an online book co named after a famous South American river & got [i]another[/i] 'sorry six week delay' message, so cancelled that and ordered it from one of the 'New & Used' vendors who claim to have new - immediate stock - should have it in a couple of days....

Peter

[quote name='assam'][font=Comic Sans MS][size=3]Perhaps it depends on who one deals with in Miami. Herlan was always the consummate professional. [/size][/font][/QUOTE]
And its unfortunate he will be affected by this - but as a consumate professional, I trust he will quickly find alternative employment. I always found Cunard Southampton [i]consistantly[/i] helpful, while Cunard Miami [i]consistantly [/i]clueless. But then thats the name of the game - how consistant service is. As long as QM2's Britannia Dining Room has patchy service there will continue to be complaints. One good Waiter does not make up for a failing organization. Ditto one good travel consultant.

[font=Comic Sans MS][size=3]I take your point and I have no doubt that Herlan will have several options from which to choose. Others will be snapping him up in no time![/size][/font]

• 2 weeks later...
[quote name='assam'][font=Comic Sans MS][size=3]Regarding losing jobs, if that is the case that is VERY sad. Our Cunard vacation consultant is FABULOUS and he was a great help when we planned our crossing. He definitely sold us on the entire thing and was there for us from start to finish and beyond! A very sad day for Cunard if they lose Herlan!!! :([/size][/font][/QUOTE]

Assam
I had the same thought when I read the first post.
What about Herlan?

He has planned four cruises for me - and I was looking for him to do another in the spring. I slipped this year and cruised Celebrity - believe me, after dealing with their customer service department, all I could say was, "Herlan, where are you when I need you?"

If he does not make the move from east to west coast, I would suggest that Celebrity and its less than adequate office staff pick him up immediately!

love
joan

As someone who is in the middle of a move from LA to Fort Lauderdale.. It may not be that Cunard coldy decided not to offer these people jobs at Princess... but also that they could not afford to move them.. I doubt reservations people are very far up the income ladder, and a cross country relocation is very, very expensive... and the cost of living here is way beyond Fort Lauderdale/Miami, especially in terms of housing costs. A $150K home in south Florida translates into at least $350K in much of Southern California (and usually a lot more). So those relocating would have a lot of shock to live with and possibly a real downgrade in their standard of living.

And I still say Carnival is falling prey to the idea that homogenization with some surface upgrades can work and keep their brands differentiated.

Archived