Balcony Cabins on Oosterdam

San Diego Cruzer

We were on the Oosterdam in April, in cabin 5065, category VF. The balcony was, of course, the width of the cabin. I'm about six feet tall, so my armspan is also about six feet. I could just about touch the railing with one hand and the exterior cabin wall with the other. There were two charis and a smallish (2 ft. x 2 ft.) table. Two people fit on the balcony very comfortably. Three wouldn't have been too bad, but four or more, and you'd have been climbing over each other to enter/exit the cabin.

The VE category cabins are mostly on the same deck (deck 5), but located more amidships. Next April, we are on the Zuiderdam in 5113 (VE). I don't see how the VE cabins could have balconies that are any different than the VF's, at least on the same deck.

Some have reported that the balconies on the higher decks are a little deeper. I can't say for sure, since I've never been in one of those. However, when we rode the outside glass elevators on the Oosterdam, we had a pretty good view of some of the balconies on other decks. They didn't look appreciably larger than ours.

There are a few cabins, where the superstructure narrows for the lifeboats, that have balconies that are not rectangular. They are angled, due to the narrowing, so their shape is that of a trapezoid. These may have a little more area, but may provide limited views forward or aft.

AFAIK, the only Vx cabins that have really larger balconies are the VA category, aft facing cabins. There are only about four or six of these per deck and are very sought after. These are sometimes referred to as "wake cabins", since your view is primarily of the ship's wake. Those balconies are enormous. On the Noordam, they increased the slope of the terracing of the aft cabins, so those balconies, while larger than normal, are not as huge as on the other three Vistas. This is one of the ways they were able to build a few more cabins on the Noordam.

Paul Noble

Why is it that when I am sitting on the balcony in any chair, the railing completely covers the horizon line? Is that just to annoy me?

Nope...there is something about building code rules that make it a requirement for a certain height, be it on the ship, hotel, condo, restaurant..etc. Most annoying ditto.

In Hawaii, at the condo we rented, we had a great lanai (balcony) but I detested the large rail right at eye level. I ended up taking a couple of pillows out to the chair and plopping myself on top of that...kind of an adult booster chair..lol..

Worked wonderfully for sunsets!

Cheers! :)

our aft VA on Oosterdam was about 9 feet wide by 14 feet deep, had two chairs and small table, another chair with a cushioned seat and ottoman and a lounger. was pretty quiet, there was some shade from the bulkhead and overhang. I'd book one again without hesitation

Archived