Rail & Bus Whitepass Excursion

lucia1024

Hi

I will be taking this combo excursion, but I was wondering if there makes a difference if you go up by rail and come back by bus or visa versa. Is so, why would you choose one over the other?

Please share you experience I would appreciate it.

Thanks

Go up by train, just because that's the more dramatic way to head into the mountains - maybe because it's more historically authentic, heading for the Klondike goldfields. Sometimes the narration is better going up as well, though the guides have apparently been told to even it out.

Murray

I would suggest you go up by train. I personally find it more exciting to do the train trip going up. I've also read experiences on this board from people who took the train on the way down, and there was no narration. It is more interesting to have this trip narrated.

Thom

Hehe ... glad to help! I probably got the tip from my dad, who'd been up there a few years before I was. Seriously, you can stand on that back platform off the last car and there is nothing between you and Alaska. I also had the privilege of standing watching at the turnaround, when the brought the engine along a side track and backed it up to what was NOW going to be the first car. Got some really cool photo shots of the coupling, etc, from just my own height away. Later, the brakeman rode on the platform with me and another one or two passengers and answered a lot of questions. It was really very cool.

Hehe ... glad to help! I probably got the tip from my dad, who'd been up there a few years before I was. Seriously, you can stand on that back platform off the last car and there is nothing between you and Alaska. I also had the privilege of standing watching at the turnaround, when the brought the engine along a side track and backed it up to what was NOW going to be the first car. Got some really cool photo shots of the coupling, etc, from just my own height away. Later, the brakeman rode on the platform with me and another one or two passengers and answered a lot of questions. It was really very cool.

Wow, so you can line up for the car you want to be in? How big is this platform at the back?

THIS IS INCREDIBLE INFORMATION!!!

Oooh, they had the train backed up along the cruise ship pier, instead of at the station platform. Made it VERY easy! I think there are at least two piers though, and not sure if it's that way for each ship ... we were on X Mercury that trip, and we were last ship in the line ... there were at least two others along that same pier.

I think two different trains are being mentioned here. The OP is asking about a rail/bus excursion, and I can't tell if she will do it through the cruiseline or from an independent company like Chilkoot Charters. That train goes one-way to or from Fraser, BC.

It sounds like Sailorgirlseattle was on the 3-hour roundtrip train excursion booked through her ship - so she boarded the train right where the ship docks. Those who book the 3-hour roundtrip directly from the railroad board the train in town, and they are in different rail cars.

Anyone other than Murray think they will book the 8.5 hour trip to Carcross? I'm still (yes STILL) on the fence. I want to book soon though b/c I want to make sure I get it, if I decide I want it.

Chilkoot Charters has already announced it ( http://www.skagwaysbesttour.com/carcross.htm ), and word from the WP&YR on Monday was that they are going to try to set up their own service.

Murray

Chilkoot Charters has already announced it ( http://www.skagwaysbesttour.com/carcross.htm ), and word from the WP&YR on Monday was that they are going to try to set up their own service.

Murray

I'm confused by your post. Chilkoot already has their own run - who are you talking about?

I wonder if the cruiselines will follow with a new offering for this run as well?

I'm confused by your post. Chilkoot already has their own run - who are you talking about?

I wonder if the cruiselines will follow with a new offering for this run as well?

I think Murray means that the railroad hopes to have their own bus service to coordinate with the train. If that's the case, I will be sure to wait and see all options before reserving this excursion.

kingsgirl - if you do the Carcross excursion with Chilkoot Charters, it's now 9 hours (7:30 - 4:30).

It sounds like Sailorgirlseattle was on the 3-hour roundtrip train excursion booked through her ship - so she boarded the train right where the ship docks. Those who book the 3-hour roundtrip directly from the railroad board the train in town, and they are in different rail cars.

Yes, thats the one I was on. Didn't realize there were others.:confused:

I was sure I posted it right after talking to Chilkoot, but needed to wait till I talked to them again to make sure I had it right, Wp&R will also sell Chilkoot's Rail and Bus to Carcross, over the counter and by reservation. Starting Monday Nov. 6th, the difference is that the bus and tickets will be at the Depot. I think we will go ahead and book the Carcross trip, I like the idea of not seeing the same scenry twice, (expect for the log cabin and Fraser area) So much history!

Stacym

My confirmation from Chilkoot woke me up!

"PROCEED to the end of the pier and go through the security gate.

WAIT for your driver/guide who will be driving a vehicle or carrying a sign with our business name “CHILKOOT CHARTERS & TOURS.” You will be picked up at 12:00 PM .

DO NOT attempt to board the train at the dock as its destination is different than yours"

I wonder if I'll still be able to get on the last car? :confused:

Guest garden4cook

I was there in June 06 with Princess cruises. We had the combo but into the Yukon and WPRR train back down. There was lots of narration going back down, and our train cars were assigned. We had no choice to take the train up or down.

We loved the Yukon, and would go back anytime...

I was sure I posted it right after talking to Chilkoot, but needed to wait till I talked to them again to make sure I had it right, Wp&R will also sell Chilkoot's Rail and Bus to Carcross, over the counter and by reservation. Starting Monday Nov. 6th, the difference is that the bus and tickets will be at the Depot. I think we will go ahead and book the Carcross trip, I like the idea of not seeing the same scenry twice, (expect for the log cabin and Fraser area) So much history!

Stacym

So - your understanding is that the WP&YR will sell the Carcross excursion using Chilkoot's bus, and not their own?

So - your understanding is that the WP&YR will sell the Carcross excursion using Chilkoot's bus, and not their own?

The implication from a WP&YR exec was that they'll be setting up their own service, which would probably be Gray Line, as that's who has the "Official WP&YR Carrier" status now.

Murray

Archived