Does the thought of packing freak anybody else out?

lovebug33

Okay, to qualify this, DH and I are used to taking camping vacations, where we throw in low-key tourist activities and hiking. We don't need anything more than some capris and tanks. I have never booked a vacation, besides my honeymoon, a year in advance. And, because of the wedding, I didn't think much of the honeymoon. Anyway, our cruise is in 44 days and I am FREAKING out about packing. Maybe it's because I've spent too much time thinking, but the thought of trying to pack so many clothes and things (we are doing an after cruise trip for four days) is so overwhelming to me. I have actually started having nightmares! Am I insane or has this happened to others? Any advice for me would be greatly appreciated!

Okay, to qualify this, DH and I are used to taking camping vacations, where we throw in low-key tourist activities and hiking. We don't need anything more than some capris and tanks. I have never booked a vacation, besides my honeymoon, a year in advance. And, because of the wedding, I didn't think much of the honeymoon. Anyway, our cruise is in 44 days and I am FREAKING out about packing. Maybe it's because I've spent too much time thinking, but the thought of trying to pack so many clothes and things (we are doing an after cruise trip for four days) is so overwhelming to me. I have actually started having nightmares! Am I insane or has this happened to others? Any advice for me would be greatly appreciated!

We are leaving in 28 days for our FIRST EVER vacation. Been married for 26 years and only had a couple of days here and there without the kids. Now we get 11. It just so happens our first vacation is a cruise with two days in Miami on both ends of the cruise. I have been planning for over a year, shopping for almost as long! :rolleyes: I am so overwhelmed right now I am not sure where to start as far as packing. I have been so unsure as to what to take I now have 4... yes-four-cocktail dresses for a two formal night cruise!!! :eek: FREAKING OUT is an understatement!!!!

We are going from Washington State to Florida to embark. May as well be flying to the moon. I've never been farther east than Idaho for cripes sake. So now that all is said and done I have night mares about the flea ridden-bedbug -cockroach- infested hotel's on south beach that we all read about.-:confused: nightmares about forgetting or losing my suitcases with MY clothes in it (so much for the 4 dresses) and missing the ship. How's that for freaking out? HELP! deep breathing and yoga for me for the next 28 days. :p

trudy

It's a vacation. Remember that word. You don't need 4 different things to wear each day. If you're on a cruise, shorts and tees/tanks during the day are good (unless you are going to cold places, of course)). Formal nights, H needs only one suit/tux, and if he doesn't spill down the front, one shirt is just fine. I pack 2 ties for H just for a different look in pix b/c we need a choice of which is the best of the worst:eek: . Dressy/casual nights mean khakis, polo or sport shirts for men, and whatever women want to wear - sundresses, pants and tops, etc. And it isn't a sin to wear the same thing twice (not back to back probably). Different jewelry makes a whole new look, and remember, your tablemates mostly only see the top half of you, so different tops are good with one or two pair of pants/skirt.

You do need IMO 2 swimsuits b/c they don't really dry overnight. And some sort of cover-up so you can go into the buffet or dining room to get food during the day. Long T's, sarongs, etc. are good.

You don't need large purses b/c on board you only need your cruise card (your glasses and lipstick if applicable), so small is good.

I speak from experience: on my first cruise I think I took my entire closet and at least 10 pairs of shoes. Now I take maybe 2 pair of evening shoes if I can't make the formal night stuff match, and 2 pair of casual evening shoes, sandals for day (and water shoes for beaches, etc.). On a 7 day cruise, I have found that 2 pair of shorts is enough, but I do need 5 shirts b/c I do in fact sweat.

I guess I could go on and on, but you get the idea. Now I know others will post an entirely different outlook, but now you've got mine.

Since you mentioned that you are worried about losing one of your suitcases, try cross packing. A little of yours and hubby's in each suitcase. My biggest fear is losing one of my suitcases, especially since as a fluffy woman I cannot go into a ship's boutique and purchase clothing. So my metality always has been, share the wealth, I mix mine and hubby's clothes in each suitcase and hope that if a suitcase is going to go astray, it would not be both of them.

Enjoy yourself....

I have been travelling for over 30 years so packing is not at all stressful for me.

I am a "list" person, I make one and I stick to it for packing. I list my evening outfits, along with accessories and shoes, by day; for daytime, I pack a few different outfits suitable for the ports and the activities I enjoy. I pack 3-4 bathing suits for a week long Caribbean cruise and workout clothese for everyday.

To the poster who said she is packing 4 cocktail dresses, go for it! I wear them to dinners at the specialty restaurants and for "informal" nights as well. Dressing nicely is never an issue.

For 11 nights, I can get everything I need in a Med. size suitcase. I share a garment bag with my SO for dresses and such and I bring a carry on with a change of clothes just in case.

I mix and match around basic black slacks/skirt. Makes it very easy.

Even though I have it down to what I need-I still found it stressful packing two weeks ago-just getting things together, ironing up things, etc. is alot of work-I said I needed a vacation from all that work!

Now that we have been home 5 days- I have washed and put away all our clothes, sent stuff to the cleaners etc.- but I still need to put the suitcases in the attic!

I did good this time packing also! I only had to buy my hairspray which I forgot. Walgreens had the stuff I use- so even that turned out okay.

One thing though which was hard on me two weeks ago was that I was sick with a cold and battling a cold sore trying to pop out and I think my immune system was just so run down-that it made packing rough on me.

Really though, your packing is not that hard-your capris etc. you wear camping you still use for day wear and if you bring a couple of pair of neutral colored slacks with several nice blouses, you have the casual dinners covered. Formal night and informal nights can just be like your holiday party gowns for those nights.

Don't stress so much you will have fun and LOVE crusing!

We leave on Sunday and are heading out tomorrow night and I hear you! I am having a heck of a time packing and figuring out what I do and don't need! Good luck!

My DD says I am anal because in July, when I made my reservation, I started my list on a spread sheet. It has gone through many changes though. As a matter of fact, the list seems to be getting shorter. Day time is a snap - jeans, shorts and capri's with shirts. I am retired and live in jeans and t's so evenings are special because I plan on getting dressed up every nite. For evenings, 1 pair black slacks, 1 black skirt, both my formals are long black and 4 fancy colorful tops. I could fit everything in one bag, but even though I am traveling alone, I use 2 smaller bags and cross pack with myself - that way even if one bag gets lost I will still have enough clothing to get me through the entire cruise if need be.

One thing I definitely do suggest - strongly - is be able to layer your clothes. I for one get chilly very easily and you may discover the ships AC is freezing you out. Hate showing up in the main dining room is a pretty top and then have to put my windbreaker on in order to be comfortable.

Right now I have loads of lists and haunt these boards for any and all information I can get , but the minute I set foot on the ship the lists go through a mental shreader - I figure I have done all I can and now it is time just to chill and have a ball.:D

Even though I travel often and have been all over the world, I absolutely HATE packing. I angst over each and every "do I bring this?" decision. I do make lists, which helps alot. But I'm always nervous that I'm going to forget something essential and then I get myself crazy that I'm overpacking.

It's especially hard for me when I travel to a different climate and know that I'll be involved in different activities than on a day-to-day basis at home. Shoes become a big issue and I always end up with too many because I want to make sure I'm both comfortable and chic as well as prepared for any weather, topography, activity (city, rainforest, hot, cold, rain, bicycling, etc).

I also have a hard time envisioning being in a hot climate when I'm freezing at home. For example, I've been to Australia 5 times in Jan/Feb and still can't believe it could be 100 degree's there when it's 20 degree's here. Duh!!!

The easiest packing for me are my trips to Paris because it's a place with the exact weather and street conditions and similiar activities that I'm doing at home. Going again in a few weeks! Yippee!!

When I travel with DH we always do some cross packing so in the event of a late suitcase, neither one of us is left without any fresh clothes to wear.

One thing I definitely do suggest - strongly - is be able to layer your clothes. I for one get chilly very easily and you may discover the ships AC is freezing you out. Hate showing up in the main dining room is a pretty top and then have to put my windbreaker on in order to be comfortable.

I agree!

Even in the afternoon on a sea day, I usually have a cotton cardigan thrown over my shoulders. I'm usually wearing a tank top but then hate to freeze in some of the public rooms aboard ship.

For evening I bring a nice variety of pretty shawls and dressy cardigans.

In our own cabin, we turn off the a/c as soon as we arrive. There's enough "residual" a/c from the hallway to keep the room cool.

I absolutely love to pack. I love to organize and get things ready, I suppose because it means vacation time is nearly here. It's a big job for me, as I have to pack not only for myself and my husband, but two kids as well.

There is no better teacher than experience. You will more than likely pack things you don't need and need things you don't pack. So forgive yourself for any mistakes you will make this first time, we've all been there, done that. Each cruise (for me) packing gets easier. I've cut waaay back on clothing and shoes and have almost completely cut out any electronic gizmos and lots of other paraphernalia.

First thing to remember, you are not going camping :) . Almost everything you need for the week will be provided for you. You can get by with your clothes, toiletries, a small first aid kit and a good camera. The only thing I over-pack is bathing suits, we wear those more than anything else all week.

The best way to cut back on day time clothes is to wear things at least twice and take advantage of the onboard laundry/dry cleaning service. We disembark in what we embarked in, we wear the same casual outfit the first and last night. We don't take a casual outfit for every single day, we cut out 2 of those days. At night (not formal, but casual or smart casual nights) we wear the same pants several times with different tops. I cut my shoes down to the bone, but I still find I have at least 5 pair, can't help it.

Make a chart of your days and what is happening on those days. Fill in the blanks as to what you will be wearing to each event. Then, you can see just where you will be able to mix and match, plus plan shoes and accessories. Everyones chart will be different, what works for you may not be what I need at all, so don't go by anyone elses list.

I don't have the luxury of an extra bedroom in my house, so about a week prior to the cruise I put up a rolling rack in the living room. I can iron and hang everything there, I put the jewelry with each outfit, the shoes and handbags underneath the rack and I pack from there. I can instantly see if something doesn't really look all that great and can make any needed adjustments.

For me, the toiletry kit is the most time consuming part of travel. We find we do enough weekend stuff to warrant always keeping the toiletry bag packed all the time. I have duplicate everything in the bag, all I need to add is makeup and I'm good to go. I replenish when I get home. I haven't flown since the new policies have been put into place, that will be a new challenge for me :) .

But truly consider what you feel you could not live w/o. Some take NOTHING and buy things if needed, others take everything but the kitchen sink. I'm in the middle--yes, basic meds, water shoes; no to duct tape, alcohol, coffee mugs.

One thing to consider...regarding formal night. We found that while most men do wear suits, some just dine in a button down shirt & slacks. THIS IS PERFECTLY ACCEPTABLE. My father despises dressing up, so goes this way. Personally, I don't get to dress up much at home, so I have a different cocktail dress for every night of the week...and DH humors me by taking his suit for formal nights. He would be content in slacks & tropical shirt...but he reserves that for the other nights.

Relax. I make a list of what I want to wear each day, including shoes, accessories, underwear, etc. Stick w/ a color scheme (basic black for most shorts/capris), think about walking shoes on ports (NOT new ones), and flip flops/swimsuit/cover up for sea days. And always pack an extra tee...underwear can be washed out. There is laundry service on board in a pinch (but I prefer NOT to spend my vacation doing laundry!)

It is a bit stressful...but think of the wonderful reason why you have this stress!!! WOO HOO!

Happy cruising!

Kris

Archived