What is a Wang Wang?

Old As Dirt Mom

OK, my curiousity about this Wang Wang drink has gotten the better of me. :rolleyes: What is a Wang Wang, and more important, who has a recipe? I know there are several other inquiring minds who want to know, so please, somebody, take pity on our ignorance and satisfy our need-to-know! In a previous post somewhere, I recall Ruth C mentioning that a Wang Wang contains several different liqueurs and citrus fruit juices, but I would like some specifics, please!

Also, if anyone has any other HAL drink recommendations, please describe them for us! Thanks very much!

Karin, anticipating next HAL cruise coming up SOON:)

My guess is that it is an alcoholic drink.

Now, Bruce, that is not a fun answer;) . It is blowing and raining here, and I'm watching my neighbor's leaves blow across my lawn and settle there. I do not want to rake those leaves! So please be a little indulgent....I'm looking for a glimpse into our Caribbean future, complete with foo-foo drinks and relaxing moments.....

Karin

ps Oh, Bruce, I see that you have changed your answer, which renders my response to you somewhat incomprehensible. I conclude that you, too, belong to the ranks of the uninitiated, and therefore must also long to know what constitutes a Wang Wang......;)

I can't believe I'm the one to answer this!!!!! I'll hide my collar while I do it!

According to the bar tenders on the Zaandam, a Wang Wang contains:

Gin

Vodka

Rum

Triple sec

Scotch

Bourbon

Brandy

Orange juice

Pineapple juice.

In other words, it has just about everything in it but the kitchen sink. :)

Thanks, Rev!!!Trust a man of the cloth to know how to live in this world while preparing us for the next!!!:D We have everything on hand except the triple sec and pineapple juice. I'm off to the store now!!! I even have some little paper umbrellas left over from my daughter's last birthday cake:) And voila! You have the piece de resistance: Wang Wang a la HAL.

Nice picture of Sir Scott:) I hope I look as good when I've finished mine!

Karin

who is very grateful

Whoa, I thought a Long Island Ice Tea was extravagent, but the Wang Wang puts it to bed!

How was Scott the next day? What time did he get up? Did someone have to wake him up? Could he speak? Did he require Hair of the Dog? If so, Which Dog?

And here is what one looks like when one finishes SEVEN of them:

hawaiian10.jpg

Yes, that's Scott on the Zaandam ... after SEVEN Wang Wangs. I think that was the night following the Earthquake.

Is that a lipstick kiss print on his cheek?

A few years back on a night in Cozumel when a freak storm came up and an NCL Ship broke its moorings and smacked into the Veendam and with nothing else to do but worry, my TA's sister and I got into a Wang-Wang contest in the Piano Bar. I think the count was 7 or 8 - each. The crew working in the lounge were very impressed!

That drink will give you the hangover of all time. I haven't touched one since that cruise! They are rather good, however and our Volendam cruise IS coming up.....

Rev, on your list I think you missed one liquor which I was told is in it as well - RYE! But then again, if I am wrong it makes no difference since after you have more then two, you really don't or can't care what's in it anyway!

Cheers!

Mike

Whoa, I thought a Long Island Ice Tea was extravagent, but the Wang Wang puts it to bed!

How was Scott the next day? What time did he get up? Did someone have to wake him up? Could he speak? Did he require Hair of the Dog? If so, Which Dog?

LOL ... Scotty has significant experience with self-pickling, but I think we was feeling fine the next morning, if memory serves me correctly. He would begin exchanging blood for alcohol around noon and the process didn't stop until about 1 am ... every day. :) Cocktail "hour" went from 5 pm until 8 pm. :D

Scotty ... gotta love him!

I can't believe I'm the one to answer this!!!!! I'll hide my collar while I do it!

Now why would you do that? Wasn't Jesus's first public miracle the turning of water into wine? Now, that man knew all about the importance of a good drink!! My family just laments that he wasn't Irish - it would have been some serious whiskey...

Rev, on your list I think you missed one liquor which I was told is in it as well - RYE! But then again, if I am wrong it makes no difference since after you have more then two, you really don't or can't care what's in it anyway!

Hey, Mike! I hope you have a blast on the Volendam!

As to the contents of a Wang Wang: back in 2004 I took a 21-day cruise on the Zaandam through the Panama Canal. I reported on this board live from the cruise. On that thread I was asked to report back on the contents of a Wang Wang. To find out what was in a Wang Wang I had Christopher swipe a drink menu from a bar and bring it to me while I was posting on the board. He did, and in that menu the contents of a Wang Wang were listed; I typed in what it said straight from the menu. That post is still alive and present on this board. You can read it here:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=2172177&postcount=114

I thought I might have missed something, too, so I went and found that post. But ... no ... according to the Menu on the Zaandam that I copied down back in 2004, what I was told a few weeks ago (also on the Zaandam) is correct. No Rye. :D

Now why would you do that? Wasn't Jesus's first public miracle the turning of water into wine? Now, that man knew all about the importance of a good drink!! My family just laments that he wasn't Irish - it would have been some serious whiskey...

LOL .... yes, Jesus' first public miracle was to turn water into wine so as to keep the party going. But he didn't turn water into WANG WANGS. :D

According to the bar tenders on the Zaandam, a Wang Wang contains:

Gin

Vodka

Rum

Triple sec

Scotch

Bourbon

Brandy

Orange juice

Pineapple juice.

In other words, it has just about everything in it but the kitchen sink. :)

i could never drink one of those --- i hate pineapple juice

LOL .... yes, Jesus' first public miracle was to turn water into wine so as to keep the party going. But he didn't turn water into WANG WANGS. :D

Hi Rev!

Years ago we had an Asiaan restaurant in Bermuda called 'DING HO'. The drinks menu was impressive!

They served up concoctions with such names as:

WANG WANG (the topic of this thread)

WOU WOU

SAMOAN FOG CUTTER

MISSIONARY'S DOWNFALL (Rev you should like this one!)

SUFFERING BASTARDS

ETC ETC.

Stephen

Maybe he should have - if he'd gotten those Romans all liquored up, they would have been more than happy to let him keep teaching.

i could never drink one of those --- i hate pineapple juice

I have standards like that too. It's just not anything that I will drink.

*shudders at the thought of pinapple juice as he sips his Sailor Jerry and Cider after raking leaves.

Hi Rev!

Years ago we had an Asiaan restaurant in Bermuda called 'DING HO'. The drinks menu was impressive!

They served up concoctions with such names as:

WANG WANG (the topic of this thread)

WOU WOU

SAMOAN FOG CUTTER

MISSIONARY'S DOWNFALL (Rev you should like this one!)

SUFFERING BASTARDS

ETC ETC.

Stephen

Oh Captain, my Captain ... in my case a "Missionary's Downfall" ... might be many pretty things, but it's not a drink!!!!! :D :eek: ;)

Archived