Mexican Riviera, eating on shore, traveler's Diarreah.

Cruise Arizona

The last time I went to the Mexican Rivera was 3 years ago on the Merc.

This was a get away from it all, do nothing 10 year anniversary trip for DH and I, so I only got off the ship in PV where we only walked over to the Marigalante Pirate boat and did that excursion all day, in Zijuatenjo, where we just did a little shopping and had a beer by the beach, and in Manzanillo where we went to Las Hadas allday.

So I didn't really eat anything on shore and only drank beer.

What is the safety level of the food in the Mexican Riviera destinations?

Anyone remember any advice given by Ship's staff.

My guide book on Mexico says, only bottle water, canned or bottle soft drinks, no ice, and no fresh fruit or vegetable except in the finiest restuarants? Any thought on what defines "The Finest Restraunts" on the Mexican Riviera.

Hi Suzanne:)

I had no issues with eating in the Mexican Riviera. Our tour guide in Mazatlan told us that if you stick to the main areas you should be safe. I guess they have too much to lose by gaining a reputation for Montezuma's revenge. Ate out during our trip in Mazatlan, in Cabo and Manzanillo too. No problems.

Phil

i've been to those areas many times (except cabo), albeit not on cruises. never once had a problem, but i tried to be militant about what i ate and drank. i understand that there is a water treatment plant in PV and i do recall having ice in my drinks a few times (at restaurants) and not getting sick.

while traveling around mexico for a month and a half i followed the rule of thumb to not take those questionable items from street vendors. that's where you can run into trouble. most restaurants in high traffic tourist areas should be fine.

7 more days! woo! :D

Jeffrey

The only problem anyone in our family has ever had has been one time in Cabo from some sort of green leaf salad. Otherwise almost annual trips to either/or/and Mazatlan, Cabo, PV, have been without incident. Have also been to the Caribbean several times and have not ever come up with any adverse results.

Good luck

I think Mexico has made great strides in the last 20 years regarding sanitation, plumbing, education etc. Particularly in larger cities and resort towns. The problems of the past are not so much of a concern anymore. Back in the '80s you would get the trotts just from breathing the air!

I think now days just following the basic common sense suggestions given by many above should keep you fine. I would say stay away from lettuce & spinich though. Those items are mostly water and are grown in areas where the water still ain't so good. My friends in Mexico won't even eat it. We can't seem to get a handle on that in the US now either it appears.

On the positive side... if Montezuma does end up getting his revenge, you get to eat all the cruise ship food you can stuff in and people at home will marvel on how you were able to go on a cruise and lose weight! ;)

Texed...too funny!! OK, just be so careful what you eat in Mexico. I cannot believe nobody has had problems with the food there. I actually had to take antibiotics for three months...was sicker than a dog with potential lifelong effects. I thought I was being careful!! Now this happened in Matzatlan and have not had any problems ever in Cabo, although met some people in Puerto Vallarta that had gotten sick and be oh, so careful in Acapulco. Cozumel and Cancun are just fine, as is Ixtapa. Stick with the beer and only fruits and vegetables that you can peel. The chips and guacamole should be fine:D

I was watching Mexico One Plate at a Time with Skip Bayless on PBS and he was showing the different salsas and it occured to me that many Salsas are not cooked and is really a tomato, Onion and Chili salad???

I just love Mexican food, but don't want to ruin my cruise over a bowl of Salsa. I've also heard that consuming alcohol with food lessens the chance of food born illness, and that this is one of the reasons that wine with dinner in Europe is so popular because of the lack of good sanitation untill the 20th century. But the kids can't do this and would hate for them to get "the trotts".

Lovely topic I started here at CC, but my guide book got me thinking.... never a good thing.

Archived