MGT Excursions ???????

azmtnman

Has anyone taken MGT excursions out of Juneau and/or Ketchikan? We were thinking about taking their Juneau's Best and their Alaskan Salmon Bake + their Helicopter & Glacier Walk. We can't make up our mind to do this or go with RCCL. Also, they offer Ketchikan City & Saxman Village tour which we're considering. Yikes. Need your input!

- Lianne & John

We used MGT during our stay in Juneau. Took the city tour, Mendenhall Glacier & Salmon bake (the 2- tour special for $42pp) All I can say is that Donna and her folks are great. I was coordianting a group of about 30 of us ranging in ages from 8 - 75. Everyone really enjoyed it. The salmon bake is at Thune Ore house. I was talking with the owner and it's more of a local hangout. (also saw that true since we had about 2-3 tables of locals) It really gave the "true taste" when you see the locals from my perspective. The bake included not just salmon but halibut (awesome), ribs and all the sides. You could purchase a pitcher of Alaskan microbrew beer I think for $9.50 or $10.00 or so.

We had great service from MGT our tours of the city and Mendenhall were great. A great bus driver who gave us a bunch of interesting facts. (like they had only 1 TV station before cable!!!) don't know if it's true but when the main road only goes 27 miles and thats it wouldn't surprise me.

Hope this helps. You'll enjoy Juneau.

For clairfication- MGT is a booking agent for the helicopter trips- I myself only book direct with the venders. As for the MGT tour- very well run and worthwhile tour, save yourself some money compared to a ship tour. As for Saxman village- there are plenty of independents at the dock visitor center- run about $25, but do not include the dancers. There was a post a while back that said tour and dancer tickets could be purchased at the Saxman Village gift shop??? I would call the Ketchikan visitor center and inquire?

Archived