Where to stay in Civitavecchia

pipster37

My husband and I are going on the cruise in April Rome to Venice. We have been to Rome many times. However we want to fly in a day before to be on the safe side (you never know with the airlines). We do not want to make the 45 min. trip from the airport into Rome just for overnight. We were thinking of going from the airport in Rome right to Civitavecchia this way we are right near the ship. Has anyone been there before and can suggest a place to stay and maybe a restaurant. Anything to do there? Thank you.

I think orchestrapal is right. I did a quick inquiry on orbitz.com and venere.com, and practically nothing showed-up ... one or two hotels. Venere is very good for Italy and, if they show zip, I would tend to think this is probably true. As a comparison, look at Venere for Venezia, and you will see the difference ... 283 bookable listings.

Pipster37, I understand that you don't want to miss the ship, but please note that I've been in and out of Civitavecchia seven times, and it's basically a dump. Have you been to Rome? Because even a few hours walking around there before getting a good night's rest and then going to Civitavecchia the next morning would be a much better plan in my opinion. Walking from fountain to fountain in Rome is very romantic!

Have a great trip,

Donna

If you definitely don't want to go into Rome from the airport when you arrive, just get a room at one of the hotels at the airport. You can get a transport service to take you to the ship after you have had a good night's sleep. Some people on line said there is a Hilton at the Rome Airport which they have used.

Sheila

Hi!

We have stayed at the Rome Airport Hilton twice. It is a lovely hotel. You can walk there from the airport and the next day go back to the airport and pay for the ship's transfer or use a private service to go to the ship. Also, there is a free shuttle into Rome if you want to spend some time in Rome for lunch or dinner. We have just booked this hotel for next Sept.

Rhea

Hi!

The free shuttle is into Rome and runs every two hours. Get to the bus early so you can get seats. The bus holds 50 people. We booked the Rome hotel with breakfast since there is little in the area except at the airport.As far as transfers, you can price both Oceania and a private company. Look on the Cruise Critic boards for info.

• 1 month later...

Keep in mind that the Hilton is connected to FCO terminals via an overhead walkway *the entrance is only a few feet from the hotel lobby entrance." If you walk over to the terminal you can get the train into Rome (they run about every 30 min) which costs about 17 Euros round trip. Its just another option in case the shuttle schedule does not fit into your plans.

Hank

You can't beat the Hilton for convenience! Although the lobby is just a few feet from the walkway, the walkway itself is a good 1/2 mile hike from the terminals, seemingly longer if you're toting suitcases for a two-week cruise. The Hilton operates a courtesy shuttle between the airport and the hotel, but it wasn't as well-marked as the pedestrian route to the Hilton. Hint #1: if heading back to the airport terminal (e.g., to catch the Oceania transfer shuttle to Civitavecchia), reserve a spot on the hotel shuttle the night before. They run every 15 minutes, and on busy departure days (e.g., a cruiseship filled with US tourists), you may have to wait for a shuttle or two, putting yourself 30 minutes behind schedule.

The Hilton operates a free shuttle service between the hotel and downtown (near the Vittorio Emanuele Monument, aka "the marble typewriter," or Rome's version of the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier). The first bus doesn't leave the hotel until 8 am, and every two hours thereafter. The return trips leave Rome starting at 9 am, with the last run at 11 pm. Beware: if the last bus is full or leaves early, you've got a 60E taxi ride back to the hotel, unless you can make it to the Termini Station by 11:35 pm to catch the last Leonardo Express train back to the airport. Even though it's free, given its two-hour headways, you might find the Leonardo Express more convenient - a roundtrip ticket costs 19E, with a discount tickets for regular commuters.

The Hilton has an Executive Lounge for HHonors members - free continental breakfast and afternoon snacks, with complimentary beverages throughout the day, like at the Athens Hilton. Hint #2: if you're not already an HHonors member, join! Otherwise, the regular breakfast buffet will set you back the cost of a full dinner in downtown Rome. The airport also has food stands as the Hilton's food prices are pretty high, but then again, they're a 4-star hotel. You can find better and less expensive food options downtown.

Civitavecchia is a 50-mile trip up the Autostrada from the airport. You can take the Leonardo Express to Termini and then the local train to Civitavecchia, but I'd recommend booking Oceania's transfer service for the convenience. They'll have several buses meeting arriving flights on the sailing date, and it's very easy to take the Hilton's shuttle back to the airport and catch an Oceania shuttle to the port. If there's only two of you, it might be less expensive than hiring a cab or a private driver, and you can meet fellow passengers during the long bus ride - maybe lead them in a song ("The wheels on the bus go round and round . . . ."). :D

• 3 months later...

Sorry I did not see this thread earlier..but for future reference we stayed in Civitavecchia the night before a cruise in October. We stayed at the Hotel De La Ville ..on the waterfront..and 4*..very nice(part of the Rose Hotel chain)

. We had a driver pick us up from the airport and take us on a tour of the Etruscan towns and cemetery...and to a castle on the water..all very close to Civitavecchia...a good way to fight off jet lag...checked in to hotel and walked down about a block and had a delightful lunch facing the water. After the cruise we stayed at the Airport Hilton ..club floor..and it was very nice...wine in the afternoon and lovely breakfast at 6am before leaving for the airport at 7. It worked for us very well.

for the very reason that you mentioned. The hotel people will pick us up at the airport and take us to the pier the next day. We will not get to the port until early evening and after 12 plus hours travelling, all I will want is a sleep and some food. I think it is a good choice. The next day we are right there at the ship and no worry.

Archived