Are Skinny Jeans Dying Out Already?

DebbieCruiser

I actually think skinny leg jeans look really cute . . . on a sixteen-year-old that wears a size zero. For all others past a certain age (sometimes things meant for teenagers are meant to be worn by teenagers) or past size itty bitty . . . (reminds me of a stuffed sausage). But then, that's just my opinion and I by no means have my finger on fashion . . . I leave that to the experts on here.

Personally I don't find the look attractive on any body type or age. The ones that Derf was kind enough to post, (the first one from shop something) where the models have them on with heals, YUCK, is all I can say. They are model body types, and I think it is not an attractive look. Maybe with flats, but this way looks kind of trashy to me.

It's just my opinion.

Now straight leg to me is not that at all. Straight leg I find attractive especially with flats, like the gap ad a la Audrey. The pants are not ruched up at the ankles and they don't look tight. That to me is a nice look that can be worn by almost anyone with the right top and shoes.

I don't think boot cut is really bell bottoms either. I hated bells the first time around and would not wear them this time, but flare/boot cut to me is not anywhere near as wide as the original bell bottoms (at least how I remember).

I think fashion times are different now then in the past. Used to be that it was an "all or nothing" in the stores, but I think now you can find a little bit of everything at least on the net or in the larger cities/stores.

I remember when all you could get was "platforms" if you wanted a youthful shoe, now there are all various kinds, platforms, clogs, flats, and all are stylish.

I think we have a much wider variety of fashion style to choose from then there used to be.

Some desingers/labels/brands whatever you want to call them Eileen Fisher is an example she makes some basics that are timeless. I see more of that now then in the past.

And let's look at the elastic waistband. Used to be that was really not "fashionable". Now you see fashion foward labels doing elastic wasitbands on fashionable skirts and pants. I see the point of this, no zippers to get caught or break, easy, comfortable to wear.

The low rise or even mid-rise may not be comfortable for everyone.

Maybe it's me, but that is my opinion.

I forgot to add that what seems to be the lastest "fad" or trend or whatever you want to call it is skulls. Jewelry as in skull earrings and a skull and crossbones pendant and even a skull on jeans pocket (not sure if it is rock and republic or page or paper denim cloth brand). Skull might be a picture on a t-shirt.

Supposedly for the rocker in all of us. I've seen it in a variety of price ranges from the costume jewelry to a pair of diamond encrusted Roberto Coin skull earrings for $1500 and even higher price ranges.

I also wanted to add that I think where we are at in fashion, can be now achieved on almost any budget with a little effort. Used to not be as easy, but I think now it is probably a lot easier than it was say 20 years ago.

I also wanted to add that I think where we are at in fashion, can be now achieved on almost any budget with a little effort. Used to not be as easy, but I think now it is probably a lot easier than it was say 20 years ago.

Absolutely. Just go to H&M. Doesn't get any trendier or more affordable that that.

Is the only difference between boot cut and flare jeans the width of the flare?

That's correct.

I'm looking forward to what Jane learns about skinny jeans from her new neighbor in the jeans business.

She's in Asia right now. I'll ask her as soon as I see her again.

I forgot to add that what seems to be the lastest "fad" or trend or whatever you want to call it is skulls. Jewelry as in skull earrings and a skull and crossbones pendant and even a skull on jeans pocket (not sure if it is rock and republic or page or paper denim cloth brand). Skull might be a picture on a t-shirt.

Supposedly for the rocker in all of us. I've seen it in a variety of price ranges from the costume jewelry to a pair of diamond encrusted Roberto Coin skull earrings for $1500 and even higher price ranges.

when i was in new york a few weeks ago the village boutiques were all showing skull encrusted accessories,, especially belts with rhinestones..and not cheap.. belts ran around 300.00 plus so I was not tempted.. however, I did buy a belt when i got back to florida for much less . I'm sure its only a 'fad' but its fun.its a silver link belt with a huge skull in f ront all in rhinestones... also lots of scull and crossbone tee shirts with rhinestones but I didn't venture there.. lol.. the belt was enough :) that's as far as my rocker look goes..

I don't understand what is going on.

Are you saying mini skirts shouldn't be worn with legging. Leggings shouldn't be worn with mini skirts. Bare legs with mini skirts with leggings are bad.

...saying the girls can be trendy (minis), while still being modest (leggings).

I'm THRILLED w/ the legging things as a mom of pre-teen!!!! And NO more tummies showing! YEAH! (but you won't catch me wearing them!)

I'll say it over & over again...wear what flatters!!!!! I no longer have the body for skinny jeans. I am no longer of an age where minis & leggings look appropriate. I am a size 14...and darn it, I can look pretty hot in well-fitting boot cut jeans or slacks, heels, and a cami or fitted blouse with a jacket! I think I am a better dresser now than when I was younger! (well, I do have more money...and youth is attractive on its own, it seems!)

But I GET fit & flattery now...those were not an issue 20 years ago.

By the way, my "soccer mom & cookie baking" friends all know how to dress...all shapes & sizes. But NO "mom" jeans here! Now, the fashion world might not call capris the latest trend, but for a bunch of 40 somethings, I think we do pretty well!

Happy cruising!

Kris

PS My mom wears "mom" jeans...who cares??!! I still love her bunches!

(and I don't think she cares...although she is finding that those that sit slightly below the waist is helpful to her heartburn issues!)

Why is it that if you don't like the look of something it is automatically to be hated and must go away?

As a couple of you have admitted, most hated hip hugged bell bottoms when they came back.

I have bought five pair of the skinny jeans and really like them all. They sit low on the hip and only one pair (my Chip & Pepper jeans) is really tight around the ankle. Did I mention that I LOVE LOVE LOVE my Hogan jeans?

I'm 41, pretty conservative and NOT a size 2 or 4. In fact I'm actually an 8-10.

Jane, looking forward to hearing what your neighbor has to say although I think I have a pretty good idea.

BTW, had an excellent time in town this weekend, had a great race, and my girlfriend flipped over BG and ended up buying a gorgeous Prada bag. Me? I'm a green eyed monster!

Why is it that if you don't like the look of something it is automatically to be hated and must go away?

As a couple of you have admitted, most hated hip hugged bell bottoms when they came back.

I have bought five pair of the skinny jeans and really like them all. They sit low on the hip and only one pair (my Chip & Pepper jeans) is really tight around the ankle. Did I mention that I LOVE LOVE LOVE my Hogan jeans?

I'm 41, pretty conservative and NOT a size 2 or 4. In fact I'm actually an 8-10.

Jane, looking forward to hearing what your neighbor has to say although I think I have a pretty good idea.

BTW, had an excellent time in town this weekend, had a great race, and my girlfriend flipped over BG and ended up buying a gorgeous Prada bag. Me? I'm a green eyed monster!

I remember my very favorite outfit of all time was a pair of pink and white checked bell bottoms that were very low cut and a matching sleeveless top that was very high cut (showed off my middle section which I was very proud of). Of course, I was about sixteen or seventeen and it reminded me of the outfits they wore on all those Beach movies with Annette and . . . oh my goodness, I must be having a senior moment . . . what was his name? Oh, I remember . . . Frankie Avalon.

Ahhhhh . . . to be young and skinny again! Tee Hee!!!

Host Star, yes, in NYC it was very prevalent (skulls). Glad you got the belt, I'm not sure how long this will be around, who knows with this stuff.

Blue Herons, I can only speak for myself but I don't necessarily want a trend to go away if there are other choices. Just because I don't like something doesn't mean others shouldn't or don't. What bothers me and only then do I wish something to go away is if they come out with a style or cut which leaves no other choices i.e., if they made only short cropped fitted leather jackets, I would wish that away because it's not my taste.

Sometimes I don't like something, not because I can't wear it, simply because I won't wear it (like heals) or if they don't think about people living in "real winter". Sometimes I look at winter fashion and say what are they thinking, people who really live in snowy wintery areas can't get away with that.

So as long as their are choices, a little bit for everyone, then I personally don't care.

I personally went with a straight leg as opposed to a skinny/stovepipe.

I also feel that there are generally more than one trend such as an "all black" look this year seems to be popular, black turtleneck, black skirt/pants, that you can combine trends/fads/styles and still look very fashionable and trendy at any age.

Black turtleneck, black straight leg (not skinny) or even a small flare pant or a black skirt say a skull belt (like what Starr got) and it's really very fashionable and trendy which can also be bought probably in any price range with a little effort

While I'm not crazy for every trend that comes around, rarely do I hate anything. Typically, I'm not fond of trendy, everyone wearing the same style. Sometimes a trend comes around that looks hideous on everyone, take the flared gaucho pants in black knit fabric that hits right below the knee. Everyones legs look heavier in those because the end of the pant hits at the heaviest part of the calf. It's a real matronly look to me.

I was also happy to see the trend of midriff baring go away, merely because the majority of women and girls wearing that trend didn't look good. Too many times we see people who follow the trend simply because they don't really know what else to do. Once in a while I would see a young woman who looked great dressed like that, she was typically in the minority.

But simply because it's a trend that I don't care for doesn't make me hate it, it depends on how the individual pulls it off. I've seen some women look better dressed and more trendy in charity store purchases than some major movie stars and singers who have stylists working for them. A person has to know their own body and what looks good on them, rather than be trendy and look silly.

Will skinny jeans be around for a while? I'm not sure, but there are a lot of teens wearing them around where we live right now. I'm much happier seeing them in skinny jeans with long layered tops than too low hip huggers and bare midriffs.

merely because the majority of women and girls wearing that trend didn't look good. Too many times we see people who follow the trend simply because they don't really know what else to do.

Sometimes, too, it's because they like the style, but either can't get it in their size or won't give up the ghost of their former smaller self. Many styles that are embraced by women who "shouldn't" be wearing that style, would look much better if they were available in proper sizes and if women would stop trying to sqeeze into 2 sizes (at least) too small.

Personally, as a 53 yo, smaller woman (size 4-6 petite), I like the styles in stores like Forever 21 and Charlotte Russe (well, some pieces),

but

A.) they don't have short/petite - whatever happened to junior-petite, anyway?

B.) Their size "medium" or even "large" is too small for me, which leads me to understand why all these younger women end up looking like stuffed sausages.

Many styles that are embraced by women who "shouldn't" be wearing that style, would look much better if they were available in proper sizes and if women would stop trying to sqeeze into 2 sizes (at least) too small.

I'm thinking of opening a clothes store where all the clothing is labled as two sizes less than what they really are. Any comments?

Blue Herons, I can only speak for myself but I don't necessarily want a trend to go away if there are other choices. Just because I don't like something doesn't mean others shouldn't or don't. What bothers me and only then do I wish something to go away is if they come out with a style or cut which leaves no other choices i.e., if they made only short cropped fitted leather jackets, I would wish that away because it's not my taste.

MrsMoose, I think you have one of the most open minds on this board and please do not think I was referring to you!

I'm thinking of opening a clothes store where all the clothing is labled as two sizes less than what they really are. Any comments?
I think that that has been a trend for the past few years. Last summer I found a box of 15 year old clothes that I hadn't had the heart to throw out. Even though they were the exact same number size that I was wearing, they were all waaaaay too tight. I'm guessing clothing manufacturers have adjusted their numbers downward at least 2 sizes from what they used to be.

I was looking for some new clothes for our cruise and went into Chico's (national chain). Told then I wanted some pants. Now I normally wear a size 6 or 8 petite pants but the sales clerk said oh no you would be a size 0 or 2! I think Liz Clairborne does the same thing. The ladies that are old enough and have enough money to buy their clothes usually want to buy the sizes they bought in their younger years. It's called vanity sizing.:rolleyes:

I will field this one. Fear that they'll make all jeans skinny makes me want the skinny jeans to die the most. And the fact that people who hung onto their old styles from the 80s before they came back think they're cool now. :p Top it off with the fact that 90% of the population can't pull off the look and you have a trend that I hate.

I don't feel this way about all trends- just this one. I didn't care for the poncho, but I didn't speak out about it's demise.

But if the mullet came back, I would want it to die too. :D

But if the mullet came back, I would want it to die too. :D

The mullet is a way of life, it is a state of mind, it is every person who wears it

from

http://www.ratemymullet.com/

A mullet is a haircut that is short in the front, on the top, and on the sides, but long in the back

from

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mullet_(haircut)

Archived