Help with adoption identification

KariB

I'm hoping this is a relevant Princess question and does not get moved. I have also posted it on the ask a cruise question board, but I am desperate for some help!

I am doing a Western Caribbean cruise on the Star Princess next week. My son who is now 10 was born overseas (Spain) on a military base; my husband adopted him soon after we got married. I do not have my son’s original birth certificate from Spain. I have an expired US Passport with his old name and the original adoption paper issued by the court after the adoption. Will these two items work for identification on the ship and any ports (Ocho Rios, Cozumel, and Grand Cayman)?

Thank you in advance for any input you can offer.

Kari

I think this is a question that I would want an answer straight from princess or through my TA. I would not rely on internet opinions. Especially since you are cruising in a week.

I have a son that was also born in Europe, and I know how difficult it is to get replacement BC and such.

But honestly, I would contact Princess for this one, it is too important to be posted on a message board.

And best of luck.

Kari --

I agree with the above poster that you should call Princess directly to ask. That being said, I have two children adopted from overseas and I am able to get a "certificate of foreign birth" from the state of Maryland. You could contact your state's department of vital records to see what documents you might need for that document (which is a certified birth certificate, though it says right on it "not for proof of citizenship." The expired passport would serve as proof of citizenship.) In an absolute emergency, you can get a passport in a few days.

But definitely call Princess to ask what would be acceptable. It does get confusing when you can't just go and get a 'normal' birth certificate. We got passports for our girls so that we could leave all their Russian documents in the safe deposit box! Good luck!

Yours is a tricky situation. Generally speaking, your son does not need to show an identity document, but he WILL need to show proof of citizenship, which is normally a US issued BC. Since he was born overseas, his citizenship document would instead be the FS-240, "Consular Report of Birth Abroad" or the DS-1350 "Certificate of Birth". Presumably you had to provide one of these in order to obtain your son's passport in the first place. If you have either document, it will be enough to prove his citizenship.

IF you don't have either of the above docs, how expired is the passport? In some cases, it may be recognized as valid proof of citizenship.

If your husband adopted him in the United States there should be a birth certificate on file in the state he was adopted in with his current name on it. I have 2 adopted children and they have original and new birth certificates that looks like I gave birth to them.

If your husband adopted him in the United States there should be a birth certificate on file in the state he was adopted in with his current name on it. I have 2 adopted children and they have original and new birth certificates that looks like I gave birth to them.

I agree. I adopted my son and the State of Maryland issued a new birth certificate upon the conclusion and finalization of the adoption. We got his passport earlier this year and used the new birth certificate. However, I agree with the above posters, and you should check with Princess.

Keep in mind, the OP is sailing NEXT WEEK. Anyone with any NEXT WEEK suggestions for her?

Maybe she can do an express option with vitalcheck.com?

Like I said in her post on another thread...I can't believe she's just now concerned with this. Paying this much money for her son's passage, why is this only a concern a week before departure? I guess that's not the point.....I hope it works out for her.

To deal with documentation in one week, I would call the TA or Princess.

Your son will need a birth cirtificate one day, even for something as simple as playing little league baseball. A passport will do for travel, but get that birth certificate taken care of too. I have two adopted children and their birth certificates were totally redone after final adoption. States differ in handling these things.

Thanks for all the help...these boards really help you to find a solution! Solution 1. Do not procrastinate

Solution 2. Do not assume!

I will be getting my son a passport in Denver(only an 8 hour drive) so he can at least go on this cruise! Getting his birth certificate is next on my agenda.

Thanks to all for helping out with this!

Kari, do make certain you have read, re-read and asked specific questions on the phone to make sure you have understood all the rules and regs for getting his passport renewed. Your son will need to show up in person with you because of his age. You will also need to prove your relationship to him (that you are his mother). This is usually done via the child's BC (a foreign one is OK for this purpose), but perhaps the adoption decree mentions you. If you do not have any legal proof that you are his mother (his old passport does not work for this proof), it would be better if your husband went with you, since you do have proof via the adoption decree that he is your son's legal father. There may be other requirements, as well, so be sure you have everything you need before you get in the car (and that includes an appointment at the Denver Passport Agency, phone is 1-877-487-2778

). Good Luck.

Thanks for the reminders. We have made the appt for Nov 9th am. We are taking my son's old passport, his adoption decree, my passport, my birth certificate, my driver's license, my husband! and my husband's passport, birth certificate, and driver's license. Also, two passport photos and proof we are traveling out of country within the next 14 days.

Most of that sounds good, what, if anything, does the adoption decree say about you being your son's mom? That's the only hole I see in your docs at this point...are you are listed as the birth mother on the adoption decree.

If you are not listed there, do you have anything else that shows historical "mother status", such as your son's shot records, a baptismal certificate, school records, etc. that have you listed as the mother and that show a history of years? Perhaps you signed for him on his old passport if he was too young? They may take a preponderance of documentation showing a history of years if you cannot prove relationship through any other form at this time. Its a last resort, but take along your marrige license, which shows that you married your husband prior to your son being adopted by him. You never know what may be the last bit of information that will clinch the deal.

Archived