FLORENCE-what did you buy

randolph

Florence seems to be known for great shopping (leather, gold, ceramics, etc).

What did you buy? How were the prices and quality? Where was the best shopping for you?

Actually there was quite a thread on Florence leather shops last spring so do a search and you will find some info re leather shops such as address/names and what people bought.Leather is very good to buy in Florence...prices are good and quality if you know your leather is really good.Don't buy anything that smells funky is my word of warning.All kinds of lrather good...coats,bags,wallets etc.There are also a lot of gold shops and you really need to know your prices before you go.There are some intersting pieces that you may not find over here.I like to buy writing paper in Florence and then there is the Murano glass in case you don't make it to Venice.Prices tend to be ok,but it depends on the Euro of course re the echange rate. There are all kinds of shops from the stalls near the Duomo to the Gucci and Faragamo.Enjoy.

Florence seems to be known for great shopping (leather, gold, ceramics, etc).

What did you buy? How were the prices and quality? Where was the best shopping for you?

I loved Florence.

For jewellery - go to Ponte Vecchio

For the market, there are many great things. Lots of leather and reasonable prices. I got a knock-off Burberry purse for 20 Euro and Pashmina scarves for very cheap (silk/cashmere) - 3 for 20 Euro and also and beautiful wool/cashmere shawl. I could have bought so much more - the market was amazing!!!!

If you like the purses at the market there, get them because you won't see many purses in that range again. 30-50 Euros. They are stamped made in Italy. Saw a few in Venice.

There will be more of the same expensive purse stores at other ports. And the fake purses on the corners, which are illegal. Good entertainment watching the guys run from the cops all the time.

Also the prints of paintings they were selling on the streets, I didn't see again.

Most of the ports we had little time for shopping with so many sights to see.

So it is a good idea to have a plan of what you want.

I love to buy the marbled paper. It's so beautiful and smooth as silk. I also buy 18K jewelry. Cameo's are all over the place, too....very unique designs. Leather belts, purses, and photo albums/journals. And while you're shopping, don't forget to buy a gelato!! :D

I loved Florence.

For jewellery - go to Ponte Vecchio

For the market, there are many great things. Lots of leather and reasonable prices. I got a knock-off Burberry purse for 20 Euro and Pashmina scarves for very cheap (silk/cashmere) - 3 for 20 Euro and also and beautiful wool/cashmere shawl. I could have bought so much more - the market was amazing!!!!

This comment is not directed at the poster,but at the knockoff bags.I hihgly suggest anyone going to italy do NOT buy one at least in a markert or street..IF you get caught it will cost about $3,000.00 in fines and that is not a typo.Granted they cannot catch everyone,but they do catche quite a few and they are very strict on this since the crackdown a couple of years ago...they go after the buyers not the sellers.There sre so many nice. real leather bags to be had in Italy it really is not worth it not to buy one.The Dept.stores have nice slections as well.Just an FYI.

This comment is not directed at the poster,but at the knockoff bags.I hihgly suggest anyone going to italy do NOT buy one at least in a markert or street..IF you get caught it will cost about $3,000.00 in fines and that is not a typo.Granted they cannot catch everyone,but they do catche quite a few and they are very strict on this since the crackdown a couple of years ago...they go after the buyers not the sellers.There sre so many nice. real leather bags to be had in Italy it really is not worth it not to buy one.The Dept.stores have nice slections as well.Just an FYI.

Actually in response to this email - vendors at the markets have permits to sell items in their stall. So, those are completely 100% legal. I am Italian and know this for a fact.

If you are talking about street vendors such as Moroccan immigrants, who wrap up their items here and there, then yes, you are correct - selling is illegal. Also, I would buy from them if I saw something I liked. Don't be stupid though - keep an eye out for the coppers. I will say though that if the sellers do sense a threat, they quickly pack up their items. When they have the items packed up - it's a sign to stay away.

BUT - the market is 100% completely safe and legal - again, vendors in stalls must have permits and you'll see, they are Italians - not illegal immigrants trying to sell you something. And yes, you could get knock-offs at the market. All my purchases that I talked about above posts were from LEGAL, permit holding, market vendors.

I stocked up on scarves at the market, beautiful silk scarves....I think I paid 10 Euro for 3 and so wish I'd bought more. A lady we were with bought silk ties for her sons. really good deals. I also bought a pair of leather gloves which are just the softest I've ever felt!!!

Actually in response to this email - vendors at the markets have permits to sell items in their stall. So, those are completely 100% legal. I am Italian and know this for a fact.

If you are talking about street vendors such as Moroccan immigrants, who wrap up their items here and there, then yes, you are correct - selling is illegal. Also, I would buy from them if I saw something I liked. Don't be stupid though - keep an eye out for the coppers. I will say though that if the sellers do sense a threat, they quickly pack up their items. When they have the items packed up - it's a sign to stay away.

BUT - the market is 100% completely safe and legal - again, vendors in stalls must have permits and you'll see, they are Italians - not illegal immigrants trying to sell you something. And yes, you could get knock-offs at the market. All my purchases that I talked about above posts were from LEGAL, permit holding, market vendors.

BarbMatt, the times are changing. I wish you had read the http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=417405 thread while the CNN article link was still active. The Italian government has finally gotten serious about doing something about this problem. In addition to the stiff fines for tourists, the CNN article said that the Italian authorities are doing crack-downs on the manufacturers of the purses. So I don't see how the licensed vendors can sell the articles legally if the manufacturers are being shut down and tourists are being fined. See http://www.law.com/jsp/law/LawArticleFriendly.jsp?id=1156164650031.

Donna

Got some wallets and good quality leather bets at the Market near the Duomo. Price was really good. The belt that I wanted was too long so the vendor cut it down to size, right on the spot. The belt is still in great shape 2years after I bought it.

BarbMatt, the times are changing. I wish you had read the http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=417405 thread while the CNN article link was still active. The Italian government has finally gotten serious about doing something about this problem. In addition to the stiff fines for tourists, the CNN article said that the Italian authorities are doing crack-downs on the manufacturers of the purses. So I don't see how the licensed vendors can sell the articles legally if the manufacturers are being shut down and tourists are being fined. See http://www.law.com/jsp/law/LawArticleFriendly.jsp?id=1156164650031.

Donna

They said the same thing last year, there was talk of those 3,000 euro fines but they still had their stalls at the market.

They said the same thing last year, there was talk of those 3,000 euro fines but they still had their stalls at the market.

I can't speak for the stalls in Florence although I love to shop them,but I can speak for vendors in Rome and Venice selling the KO's to tourists..I personally saw some buyer's stopped and taken away soon after a purchase,and I met a lady who had been charged approx 2,000 American dollars for buying a wallet...just a wallet.I may add she was beside herself and her DH was very angry.Venice,a couple had their luggage opened before check-in and some KO's were being taken,and I assume they were in for a hefty fine. I know some get caught and some don't,but I sure would not like to be one of those caught and fined.I guess now in my doodering years I have enough bags anyway...:D That is why I posted what I did above just as an FYI only.Warnings can't hurt.

I can't speak for the stalls in Florence although I love to shop them,but I can speak for vendors in Rome and Venice selling the KO's to tourists..I personally saw some buyer's stopped and taken away soon after a purchase,and I met a lady who had been charged approx 2,000 American dollars for buying a wallet...just a wallet.I may add she was beside herself and her DH was very angry.Venice,a couple had their luggage opened before check-in and some KO's were being taken,and I assume they were in for a hefty fine. I know some get caught and some don't,but I sure would not like to be one of those caught and fined.I guess now in my doodering years I have enough bags anyway...:D That is why I posted what I did above just as an FYI only.Warnings can't hurt.

I think your warning was great, everyone needs to hear that before buying a fake, what I've never understood though is how they sell them so openly at the market in Florence. It wasn't like there were a couple of fakes on display, the entire stall was knockoffs. Interesting about the being licensed post, never knew that.

Oh, I don't doubt that the goods are being sold by licensed vendors and have seen them too, but I do doubt the fact that they are "100% legal" as stated by BarbMatt. And I think that with the crackdown on the manufacturer as well as the tourists, the licensed vendors are selling illegal goods and that they are next on the list. Personally, I prefer the Italian leather bags that are way more classy to me, but I wouldn't take a chance on such a stiff fine on vacation anyway because that's not my idea of vacation fun.

Donna

Are you sure it was a burberry KO from a licensed market vendor?

PTC

Oh, I don't doubt that the goods are being sold by licensed vendors and have seen them too, but I do doubt the fact that they are "100% legal" as stated by BarbMatt. And I think that with the crackdown on the manufacturer as well as the tourists, the licensed vendors are selling illegal goods and that they are next on the list. Personally, I prefer the Italian leather bags that are way more classy to me, but I wouldn't take a chance on such a stiff fine on vacation anyway because that's not my idea of vacation fun.

Donna

I agree, I'm worried about finding the receipts for my real gucci bags so they'll let be bring them back into the country without worrying about fakes.

I agree, I'm worried about finding the receipts for my real gucci bags so they'll let be bring them back into the country without worrying about fakes.

They know if your bag is yours,has been used re travel and most of all if it is real or not,and bought here not there.If you feel uncomfortable at all you can always fill out a form before you leave and have it stamped(not sure how it's done),but people that travel with a lot of electronics do this so as not to have to pay duty in case.I have heard a custom officer say they know exactly what to look for.I say this is true,but some of them can be mean..I brought back some blankets, sweater's,and some jackets years ago that went over the amount at that time and declared them as required.I had the receipts which I handed over and then the custom"person" tried to charge me double as she took the receipts AND the CC slips and said I had more than what I put down..I tried NICELY to say she had added them together and I only owed what I had put down...well, after almost getting arrested,threatened with jail and a $15,000.00 fine I called for her boss and finally got it taken care of.It was so very hard to keep my mouth shut as I passed her again on the way out,but I must admit jail was not where I wanted to go and they do have a lot of power.I write this as humor now,but i don't shop as much either:D I am sure you will be fine with you purse.

If you are looking for wonderful leather gloves...in Florence try the Madova glove factory. It is right after the Ponte vecchio. Yhey have an amazing aRRAY OF COLORS AND STYLES. a BIT PRICEY, BUT YOU WILL NEVER SEE ANYTHING LIKE THEM HERE IN THE US UNLESS OF COURSE BENDELS OR BERGDORF FOR MUCH HIGHER PRICES.

They know if your bag is yours,has been used re travel and most of all if it is real or not,and bought here not there.If you feel uncomfortable at all you can always fill out a form before you leave and have it stamped(not sure how it's done),but people that travel with a lot of electronics do this so as not to have to pay duty in case.I have heard a custom officer say they know exactly what to look for.I say this is true,but some of them can be mean..I brought back some blankets, sweater's,and some jackets years ago that went over the amount at that time and declared them as required.I had the receipts which I handed over and then the custom"person" tried to charge me double as she took the receipts AND the CC slips and said I had more than what I put down..I tried NICELY to say she had added them together and I only owed what I had put down...well, after almost getting arrested,threatened with jail and a $15,000.00 fine I called for her boss and finally got it taken care of.It was so very hard to keep my mouth shut as I passed her again on the way out,but I must admit jail was not where I wanted to go and they do have a lot of power.I write this as humor now,but i don't shop as much either:D I am sure you will be fine with you purse.

Same thing almost happened to me coming back from New York. I had declared exactly what I had and she accused me of declaring the wrong amount. What she was doing was adding in both the store receipt and the credit card slip. Even with adding both, I was still under my limit. I decided to keep my mouth shut.

Same thing almost happened to me coming back from New York. I had declared exactly what I had and she accused me of declaring the wrong amount. What she was doing was adding in both the store receipt and the credit card slip. Even with adding both, I was still under my limit. I decided to keep my mouth shut.

OMG "SHE" is still out there,and doing the same thing...:D :eek:

Our Purchases Include Purses, Leather Jacket, Gold From Ponte Vecchio, A Painting From A Street Vendor, And The Obligatory "David" Statue. (the Real Thing Is Truly Spectacular)

We Liked Florence So Much, We Are Going Back In April !!

Then, Power Shopping !

Archived