FLORENCE-what did you buy

randolph

Yes my purse was a burberry knockoff and my friend bought a Guess knockoff as well. All purchases at the market in Florence from the vendors in their stalls. What I was not aware of was that even if you are a permit holding vendor and you are selling knock-offs that this is also illegal. I apologize for any misunderstanding. I know that vendors at the markets hold permits and it is not illegal for them to sell and for us to buy - - but I didn't know they too were under this "knockoff law". I thought it was only the street vendors that package up their things when the police are around. sorry for any confusion. Shop at your own risk, but I will say that I will continue shopping at the market because I love it and that's the risk I'll have to take. I'll just have to try and keep my eyes peeled then.

Ciao.

: )

If you are looking for wonderful leather gloves...in Florence try the Madova glove factory. It is right after the Ponte vecchio. Yhey have an amazing aRRAY OF COLORS AND STYLES. a BIT PRICEY, BUT YOU WILL NEVER SEE ANYTHING LIKE THEM HERE IN THE US UNLESS OF COURSE BENDELS OR BERGDORF FOR MUCH HIGHER PRICES.

Madova was also recommended to me, but when we were in Florence this summer, on a Sunday, they were closed. Madova is on the Pitti Palace side of the Ponte Vecchio, walking back across, I found Martelli gloves, which also had a great selection of styles and colors and sizes. I ended up buying gloves for myslef and 3 others. Our private guide took us to the leather school upstairs from Santa Croce. It can be very expensive (300 Euros+), but they had small leather change purses for 4 Euros, which I bought in multiples, too. They had other small leather goods, belts, clutch bags, etc.

I stopped into a few shops while in Florence and I have never in my life felt such soft leather coats. Although the prices were high, if you want one, go for it. It's a purchase that would last for a very long time and always remind you of your visit to Florence.

Karon

Got mostly jewelry in Florence (Ponte Vecchio shops will charge you the most). IL Papiro is based in Florence, but I got my boxes from Rome & Venice.

Florence does have a lot of leather goods, and they are fairly soft and pretty cheap. However, I didn't get any coats there since I didn't like the quality of the tailoring/stitches - they seemed coarse and not very well made. Too rustic for my taste.

Got tons of gloves at Sermoneta, but at the branches in Rome and Venice.

I regret not getting the stone mosiac picture 'paintings'. There are small versions of brooches and such for sale at Uffizi, but there's a shop nearby that sells more variety of the same stuff.

Got mostly jewelry in Florence (Ponte Vecchio shops will charge you the most). IL Papiro is based in Florence, but I got my boxes from Rome & Venice.

Florence does have a lot of leather goods, and they are fairly soft and pretty cheap. However, I didn't get any coats there since I didn't like the quality of the tailoring/stitches - they seemed coarse and not very well made. Too rustic for my taste.

Got tons of gloves at Sermoneta, but at the branches in Rome and Venice.

I regret not getting the stone mosiac picture 'paintings'. There are small versions of brooches and such for sale at Uffizi, but there's a shop nearby that sells more variety of the same stuff.

I think that's there's a basic difference on what's considered knockoffs and purses that are make to look almost the originals. For example, I've seen purses EVERYWHERE that are in the Fendi's ugly colors, but have Es instead of Fs on the purse material. These purses are not illegal. Also, Burberry look-alikes with the Burberry colors are not illegal. Or, the Chanel sunglasses with joined Os instead of joined Cs. These are the types of purses I've seen at the market in Florence.

What they sell on the street (typically either Indians or Moroccans) are purses with fake labels, like Prada or Chanel - actual Prada plates or Chanel Cs or even Chanel stictching. And, these aren't stick-on labels either (like you find in New York) - they riveted or stitched on. These are the true, illegal knock-offs and I bet you NEVER see these (at least not out in the open) at the licensed stalls in Florence.

When we cruised out of Rome, the ladies I travelled with bought a lot of knockoffs - I warned them about fines and legality but they went for it anyway. They didn't get caught. But, it's a risk. And, we saw every kind of knock-off you can imagine - you can tell it's a fake by looking on the inside of the purse and there is NO label inside. All the real purses have inside labels.

As for the original question: I bought a wonderful wool-cashmere scarf at the market and bought nice leather purses there on a past cruise.

I think that's there's a basic difference on what's considered knockoffs and purses that are make to look almost the originals. For example, I've seen purses EVERYWHERE that are in the Fendi's ugly colors, but have Es instead of Fs on the purse material. These purses are not illegal. Also, Burberry look-alikes with the Burberry colors are not illegal. Or, the Chanel sunglasses with joined Os instead of joined Cs. These are the types of purses I've seen at the market in Florence.

Yes, that's a good point, and I think it's a gray area. I believe the laws in the U.S. are that the designs must be at least 25% different from the original, and of course that is subjective. Who would want to try to argue with the law about whether it's 20% different or 30% different when obviously opinions would vary? There is a lady named Jane who posts on these boards who probably knows more about this, so maybe she will read this thread. But I do think some of the merchandise being sold in those stalls in Florence is illegal based on my observations, so it's not a chance that I would want to take even if I wanted the merchandise, which I don't. :) I prefer those lovely leather bags made in Florence, and they are a wonderful memento of my trips.

Donna

• 3 years later...

I like the burberry scarves.Here are all the dissimilar types of women's accessories, silk scarves and shawls must surely be some of the most versatile. Not only can they be used to adorn various parts of the body. When ever I go out site I always takes a scarves with me and that is Burberry scarves.

Florence: In the San Lorenzo market, I bought a pair of leather gloves in a pumpkin color (they actually will go with a coat I have), 3 belts, and several patterned scarves. At the leather school, I bought a very nice leather jacket. I had tried at other stores, but I have really broad shoulders and long arms and nothing fit. The leather school had one in a butter-soft nappa leather that fit me perfectly. Since I had been looking for years for a coat to fit, I did not mind paying the price. I also bought a wallet there for my hubby. The place is worth going to if for nothing else but to drool at their fantastic handbags. Beautiful designs and colors.

Rome: I also bought some paper and cards at il Papiro. I used some of the cards to put in my tip money for my hiking guides. There was also a jewelry store about across the street from il Papiro over by the expensive shopping street. It was all crystal. I found a necklace and matching earrings there for a good price. I make some jewelry with Swarovski and Czech crystal, so I had a good idea how much markup they did.

I bought jewelry on the Ponte Vechio and a beautiful painting from a young artist on the wall of the Arno for 10 euros :eek: I brought it home and had it matted and framed and I love love love it...... I collect art from places I go and have different themes in different rooms. Europe is in my stairwell. One guest room is Caribbean/tropical etc. Oh and also bought a small carryon suitcase for getting some souveniers back I bought. Nice leather one :D

18K necklace at Ponte Vechio. What else is there?:rolleyes: There is so much to see in Florence and Rome, there really is not enough time for serious shopping. You just need to decide on one thing, and go for it, and know what to expect to pay beforehand. For example, the reputable jewelers will tell you the price per gram on the gold.

btw, I live in NY, and who sells the knockoff's in NY? Nigerian street peddlars. When we got to Florence and Pisa and even Barcelona, who was selling the knockoffs? You got it. . .Nigerian street peddlars. If you want Fendi, you are probably better off getting it in the states because of the Euro to Dollar equivalent, but it is better than it was when we were there last summer.

Archived