Help? London to Harwich pier

05mak05

We've booked the Sept. 24th RCI "Jewel" out of Harwich. We are planning to go into London 2 or 3 days early. RCI is telling us that you can not arrange for their transfers unless you arrive on the day of the cruise by 11:30 a.m. And, you can't buy transfers until you have arranged for your flight. So, it looks like our only option is arranging our own transporation from London to Harwich. I understand we can take the train but we don't want to hassle with our luggage. We need suggestions as to how to get to Harwich. Private transporation? Bus? All tips are appreciated. (The reason we do not want to use RCI for the air is because we're using miles to upgrade to business. I know we can request custom air through RCI. I'm afraid, however, that all of the seats alloted for upgrades by the airlines will be sold out by the time RCI purchases the tickets.) We also inquired about the RCI 3-day pre-cruise pkg. in London ... it's outrageously expensive!!!

So, it looks like our only option is arranging our own transporation from London to Harwich. I understand we can take the train but we don't want to hassle with our luggage. We need suggestions as to how to get to Harwich. Private transporation? Bus?

Rent a car... if you feel confident enough to drive in Britain, London to Harwich is no big deal, all motorway and easy to get to, plus you would not have the hassle with the luggage,

Avis and Hertz are the two main car rentals, you merely dump the car by the ship

So, it looks like our only option is arranging our own transporation from London to Harwich. I understand we can take the train but we don't want to hassle with our luggage. We need suggestions as to how to get to Harwich. Private transporation? Bus?
Many people have been here before you! :D Try searching for Harwich in the Baltics, Britain and British Isles forums.

But just one word of warning - I don't know whether algautr has successfully done what's been suggested, but consistent reports are that there are no big chain car rental locations at Harwich. I wouldn't advocate dumping the car by the side of the ship at Harwich unless you've made some arrangements for Avis, Hertz or whoever to collect it.

Many people have been here before you! :D Try searching for Harwich in the Baltics, Britain and British Isles forums.

But just one word of warning - I don't know whether algautr has successfully done what's been suggested, but consistent reports are that there are no big chain car rental locations at Harwich. I wouldn't advocate dumping the car by the side of the ship at Harwich unless you've made some arrangements for Avis, Hertz or whoever to collect it.

When I said dump the car, it was only a figure of speech, of course you you would do it by arrangement,cars are collected from any port

Also if you are going to drive, allow yourself lots of time as the M25 can get very congested and frustrating

When I said dump the car, it was only a figure of speech, of course you you would do it by arrangement,cars are collected from any port
Have you done this? How much did they want to charge?

I imagine it could be quite a bit, as the nearest Avis and Hertz offices are over 30 miles away by road.

If it is a lot, then a private car transfer from the airport may actually be better value. And as to that, there's plenty of accumulated wisdom on the other forums.

WE have rented a car and gone that way, =hertz has a retal place nearby...however it was NOT an enjoyable trip. Driving on the opposite side is harrowing..at keast for us. We not use a wonderful relieable company called Woodford Chauffeur Cars. Cheryl is the owner and I have only good things to say about her. I would rahter NOT have the bother of a car.

Karen

Have you done this? How much did they want to charge?

I imagine it could be quite a bit, as the nearest Avis and Hertz offices are over 30 miles away by road.

If it is a lot, then a private car transfer from the airport may actually be better value. And as to that, there's plenty of accumulated wisdom on the other forums.

Let's get this in perspective, I live in the UK, and allthough I have never rented a car here, many of my friends and family have.. to and from ports and airports and I can assure you that taking a transfer from the airport will cost you an arm and a leg

But then it is all down to personal choice....mileage for collection is not an issue, but check it out

Just did this in July and highly recommend taking the train. It was so easy, no steps at all and the train drops you off right at the cruise terminal. Cheapest and most convenient transfer available. I encourage you to re-think & consider the train.

We often drive through London and it can be HORRENDOUS - wouldn't recommend driving from London to Harwich to anyone from Britain, never mind to someone from abroad who is unfamiliar with the roads & traffic. There is a very good rail service to Harwich International which will take you right to the ship - the train stops right next to the ship itself. Of all the major ports " for London" this is the nearest one for the train. I agree with Pugdog & Globaliser, that hiring a car wouldn't be the best option here and urge you to reconsider the Harwich International train from Liverpool Street Station which is easily accessed by taxi.

We've booked the Sept. 24th RCI "Jewel" out of Harwich. We are planning to go into London 2 or 3 days early. RCI is telling us that you can not arrange for their transfers unless you arrive on the day of the cruise by 11:30 a.m. And, you can't buy transfers until you have arranged for your flight. So, it looks like our only option is arranging our own transporation from London to Harwich. I understand we can take the train but we don't want to hassle with our luggage. We need suggestions as to how to get to Harwich. Private transporation? Bus? All tips are appreciated. (The reason we do not want to use RCI for the air is because we're using miles to upgrade to business. I know we can request custom air through RCI. I'm afraid, however, that all of the seats alloted for upgrades by the airlines will be sold out by the time RCI purchases the tickets.) We also inquired about the RCI 3-day pre-cruise pkg. in London ... it's outrageously expensive!!!

That doesn't seem right as we booked two nights in London through RC and then there was transportation to the ship..which is not that close to London.. As it was by the time the crabby, yes, crabby bus driver arrived it was late afternoon and there were lines out the door and long waits to embark. p.s. London is very, very expensive.. but I do have to admit that RC had a rep at the hotel which we found convenient..

The "Boat Train" is easy even with luggage. We cabbed it to Liverpool St station. There is a non-stop express directly to and from the Jewel -- just slightly over an hour. You step off the train, walk less than you would at an airport with your luggage and the porters take it from their. We had 4 bags plus personal items and found it most convenient. Plus the price is right -- I think under $30, also you can use BritRail passes. Private drivers are several hundred dollars and the RC service is around $170 Rt. The train is wonderful!

"Globaliser's" response is right - advise searching on the "Britain" board in the Ports section. Meanwhile, here is what we did:

Based on an internet search, we hired a driver from the Essex area to pick us up at our Heathrow hotel and take us to the Harwich area. The driver turned out to exceed our high expectations and we are happy to share info, since we have gained SO much helpful information from reading about the experiences of others on these boards!

Our driver was Darren Parsons of Adelphi Executive Hire http://www.adelphiexecutivehire.co.uk/. Not only did he arrive early for both the LHR to Harwich and return trips, but he provided us with a safe, comfortable trip and enjoyable company along the way. All this at a considerably lower cost than the four of us would have paid for the RCCL bus.

Archived