Places to stay near Denali

MeganMamaw

Hello,

I have been reading the forum for 2 weeks now and getting alot of info. Especially from Budget Queen. There are 3 siblings and spouses going on a NB Princess cruise next August and we want to do our "own thing" on the land tour part. Could you give me some lodging ideas? Should we stay a couple of nights in the SouthCentral part and then stay a couple of nights Interior? I have checked out the Denali Lakeview Inn and this is the kind of lodging we would prefer. This has been a blast getting all this info so THANKS!

In my opinion, Denali Lakeview is one of the nicest places in the area. It's in Healy and about 15 minutes north of "Glitter Gulch". After a long day riding the shuttle bus, those jacuzzi tubs sure come in handy.

You might consider two nights in Fairbanks and/or Anchorage plus some time in Seward. An overnight in Seward would permit you to take one of the all-day boat trips into Kenai Fjords National Park and visit Exit Glacier and the Alaska Sealife Center on the way back to Anchorage. The drive to Seward from Anchorage is quite scenic.

How much time do you have?? There is plenty to consider. As a sample routing, I suggest going direct to Seward, if short on time, either a costly one way Avis rental or shuttle. A Kenai Fjords boat tour is my top choice, you need at least 6 hours on the water, don't consider anything shorter. Overnight in Seward- if you shuttled there, take the Alaska RR to Anchorage, overnight and pick up a round trip car. Spend 2 nights at Denali Park, add one in Talkeetna if you have time. This is a short basic independent touring option. With more days, add 2 in Fairbanks, 2 in Copper Center, 2 in Valdez, 2 in Homer etc etc etc. :)

Thanks, Budget Queen, for the info. What tranfers are there to Seward. We were going to take a shuttle to Anchorage and rent a car and go north. We are staying 4 nights/5days and wanted to see as much of Denali as possible. Is Seward a "do not miss" part?

Also renting a car and going into Denali Park is another question. Can we drive up into Denali park and how far? What are some of the "do not miss" parts of Denali? This is our first trip and we are going with 2 other couples.

We want to not be cheap but try to save where we can.

In my opinion, Denali Lakeview is one of the nicest places in the area. It's in Healy and about 15 minutes north of "Glitter Gulch". After a long day riding the shuttle bus, those jacuzzi tubs sure come in handy.

You might consider two nights in Fairbanks and/or Anchorage plus some time in Seward. An overnight in Seward would permit you to take one of the all-day boat trips into Kenai Fjords National Park and visit Exit Glacier and the Alaska Sealife Center on the way back to Anchorage. The drive to Seward from Anchorage is quite scenic.

Thanks for the info! What lodging would you suggest in Seward? We were going to shuttle to Anchorage to rent a car and go to Denali but it sounds like we need to shuttle to Seward, spend the night, then shuttle to Anchorage to rent a car, right?

Also can we drive into Denali park and how far can we drive? This is our first trip and we don't want the crowds and tour traps. That's why we liked B & B style of lodging.

We stayed at Denali Lakeside Lodging for two days on our trip. Here is a link to the pictures. Loved the place! It is next door to the Denali Lakeview Inn, they sit on the same lake. http://www.denalilakesidelodging.com/

http://travel.webshots.com/album/553114426gpwGOu

We also went into the park. You can only drive in a few miles, then personal vehicles are prohibited. We arranged the early park bus (months in advance) and went in as far as Fish Creek. It was about 4 hours in and 4 hours back. They drive very slow and stop whenever the driver or a passenger spots wildlife. We also stayed three days in Seward and did the Kenai Fjords Boat tour; one of the highlights of our trip to Alaska! While in Seward we stayed at the Alaska Saltwater Lodge. http://www.alaskasaltwaterlodge.com/ It is ideally situated on the water on Resurrection Bay. I did have an issue with our room, but all in all it is exactly what I wanted for my time in Seward. From there we went to Exit Glacier for a few hours; there is plenty to do and see in Seward. We picked up our rental car from Avis in Anchorage and dropped it in Whittier the day we boarded the Spirit. We did one week pre-cruise on our own. I wish I had more time; guess I will have to go back!:)

You need to allow 6 hours for the drive Anchorage to Denali Park. There are various distances you go into the Park, you need to overnights there and the SHUTTLE bus to at least Fish Creek. Do your homework- http://www.nps.gov/dena There are many hiking activites, ranger programs etc.

My opinion, yes Seward is a do not miss, especially a Kenai Fjords boat tour. I still recommend the costly one way Whittier/Anchorage car rental and go direct to Seward with one overnight.

You can only drive the first 16 miles out of 90 into Denali park. It is a worthwhile drive to do so however. You do need to book shuttle bus tickets in advance. Also your last full grocery stop is Wasilla, stock up for Denali Park, you must bring in all your own food and drink. There are several food options near the park. A car will offer you much more in lodging which can offer savings. Save where you can, but spend where needed to make the most of your time too. My opinion only.

We also stopped in Wasilla and did LOTS of our souvenir shopping at the Wal-Mart there. They carry the same items most ports do,(many with the Made in Alaska symbol) at much better prices (usually) They have enough groceries that we were able to get what we needed for our two days at Denali. I believe they are in the process of making it into a Super Wal-Mart. You cannot miss it on your way from Anchorage to Denali. We did mail some things home before we boarded the ship, but like everything else in Alaska, that was expensive too!

We are planning our Alaska land trip for June 2007. I tried to book this as the larger rooms I wanted at Denali Lakeview Inn were already booked. Anyway, the email I received from Denali Lakeside Lodging indicated they would not be open June 2007 (and I think they may have said the entire season 2007) -- too bad, as looked like a good location...

Seward has a variety of places from hotels to cabins. We've always enjoyed the locally-owned Breeze Inn. Nothing fancy but they are directly across from the small boat harbor from which all the tours to Kenai Fjords depart. There's also a Holiday Inn Express nearby but they tend to be more expensive; on the upside, they are newer and do provide a continental breakfast.

For more on Seward lodging, go to http://www.seward.net

Archived