Malloraca ,Malta and Sicily

We are just back from our med cruise. We hired a private Jeep and guide for our day in Malta. I was very impressed with the Cathedral in Mdina. We went to the Blue Grotto which was nice although we visited first thing in the am and we were told that as the sun rises later in the afternoon the color is more spectacular. We spent some time at the beach, not Golden Beach but right to the left of it. Golden Beach had parasailing. Dingli cliffs were ok, too hot to walk down. Others commented that St. John's Co-Cathedral was not to be missed. Some spent time shopping though Valletta. Also recommended was the Palace of the Grand Masters, we didn't go though! Our guide drove us around the coast, the North end of the island is the better side which is where he recommended we stay if we come back. What ever you do will be wonderful, the history is amazing.

I came across it just searching on the web. http://www.xploremalta.com, Chris Sheridan is who I communicated with, our guide was Charlie. Charlie was scheduled to lead a cruise ship jeep excursion the next day. He did say on the cruise ship jeep tours everyone is in one big line and it's difficult to get any information. Good luck!

I didn't cruise to Sicily, but did a land self-guided tour with my daughter in 2000. We stayed 2 night in Taormina Sicily. Beautiful city in the sea side hills. Greek ampitheather is good to see. Lots of shopping. Breathtaking views. About an hour or so away is Mount Etna. It was smoking a lot while we were there. Had a wonderful time!

Donna

Brilliance Med Cruise Oct 2005

Did you go on your own or did they put you with a group?

How many would the jeep hold?

Have emailed them for quote and info!

THANKS

Was there a line off the ship of various tours if they are full?

We booked on our own and didn't join up with anyone. The jeep was tight for the four of us (one 6'1, one 6'3). You sat on a bench facing eachother. It was an open top jeep. They did have an option for a 6 (or maybe 8) seater. I don't understand your last question. Were there jeeps waiting to take people out who didn't book a tour? If so, no.

I have this tour booked also for the week after next. Chris did give us the option of getting another vehicle.. Would you if you were to do it again ? He implied the Jeep was rugged. Glad allwent off according to plan!

I wanted to take the kids to do something fun.

I've also been to Taormina, Sicily, and it was beautiful. It's right on the water, and there are beaches and wonderful views. The town is very quaint and relaxing with lots of little shops. It's very close to Mt. Etna; which you can hike or take a tour of, but unfortunately it rained the day we were to go there. Have a great trip!

Judy- same here. We are stopping in Sardinia, Malta, Palermo, etc. there isnt a lot of info out there .

Jacqueline,

I was also in Palermo for about a 1.5 days. It's a very old, interesting city. In the downtown area there is the famous "4 corners" which are the four buildings, one on each corner, that have statues carved into them. I believe each level of the buildings have different carvings: 4 kings of Spain, four seasons, four patron saints. It is said that at anytime of day, there is always one building with sun on it. The city is also filled with palaces, convents, and catherals. All built by either Greeks, Romans, Bysitanine (sp), Arabs. There really is a lot to see. There's also a nice shopping district. ;)

Hope this helps.

Donna

would you mind giving me the details of your Malta booking with Chris?length,price,places,etc.

Chris e-mailed me back and a little confused as to what he meant--looking to do something similar or might hook up with Jakalyker!

THANKS FRANK

I have this tour booked also for the week after next. Chris did give us the option of getting another vehicle.. Would you if you were to do it again ? He implied the Jeep was rugged. Glad allwent off according to plan!

I wanted to take the kids to do something fun.

It was VERY HOT being in the open jeep and the roads are less than poor. My DH would choose another vehicle if we were to do it over. We have great memories though!

Malta,

You will dock in Valletta, and there will be cabs off the ship which will take you up into the town. (about 10 euros). There is a very nice shopping area including a very active market. Also visit the Cathedral, they supply shawls for over the ladies shoulders. Continue down the main street where there are some very nice pavement cafe's and you will arrive at the ancient fort. Turn right and walk along the road and you will come to the Malta experience. Then coming out you can continue along and you will come to some fantastic viewpoints. then pass the fish market and you will come back to the ship.

Malta is a proud place with a fantastic history. The whole island was awarded the George cross in the second world war for holding out against the germans.

Malta do not have the Euro, the shops use the Maltese lira, although the taxi drivers too Euros. there is an ATM on the right just after the cabs drop you off where you can get some lira.

It does get very hot in Malta.

Sicilly ,

We took the tour to Etna, It is active and very spectacular, the views from up there were breathless. On the way up, you pass the lava flows from the last eruption, its' what you expect the moon surface would be like. You stop by a cafe and can take a minibus trip up to the crater. Try the Limoncello, a very nice lemon liquer.

We have never been to Pallermo.

Hope this helps.

Andy

AndyM made a good point about the euro in Malta. Eventhough all I spoke to said the eruo was accepted our experience was different. At the blue lagoon and at the beach they were unable to take euro, at lunch the euro was ok, we tipped our driver in euro. We were told that Malta was transitioning to the Euro now that they "joined Europe" and later this year more of the island would be accepting. I wish we would have converted some $ to Lira.

Our friends are Maltese and I have just spoken to them. Most places that come into contact with the cruises, ie cabs will take euros. Once in town and off the beaten tracks, you better have some lira.

Andy

Malta is quite a nice port. We went last year and took the ship excursion that did a Valleta and Mdina city tour. Both cathedrals are must sees. We were only in port a few hours and the ship tour was the safest way to see both places and be assured of not being stranded. I think you will really like this port. If you are interested we do have pictures in our review and in the Ofoto album that is linked in it.

By the way, don't miss sailing into the port. It is absolutely gorgeous.

On your advise I switched to the AC mini van. Chris thought it was a good idea and was encouraging me in that direction from the start.

In the note he sent to me he said I could really desing anything I wanted and gave me some choices- ie blue grotto, small fishing village, mdina.

Usally once you are in a car with a driver you can do what you want within the contracted time.

We have 6 hours for four people 70LM or $200.

Lots of good info. We went to malta last year but just a few hours and it was sunday(everything was closed). We are hoping this year will be different.

We will look into the 6hr tour.

We are getting to close to be postponing our plans. We are also working on Almeria. Its looks like a trip to Grenada or Marbella. Any comments?

Thanks again Jeff

Caves, Temples, Mdina and Valletta (recommended)

Leaving the ship at 09:00am our tour commences with a drive to the capital city Valletta. We shall drive up to the Upper Barracca Gardens for a panoramic view of the Grand Harbour.. After the tour precede to St. John’s Co-Cathedral, Malta's greatest treasure, which includes the famous Caravaggio.

At aboiur 10:45am our tour preceed with a drive to the south east to visit Ghar Dalam, ‘The Cave of Darkness’ and its fossilized remains of prehistoric animals of the glacial period. Finally we visit the Prehistoric Temple of Hagar Qim, which was built, between 3500 and 3000 BC. This temple, which is constructed solely of globigerina limestone, is standing high overlooking the islet of Filfla.

Finally at abot 13:30 we shall drive to the historic old capital Mdina , where one can admire the typical narrow streets, mediaeval houses and bastions from where one can also enjoy an extensive view of the surrounding countryside. Free time for a snack and shopping is allowed

Back to the coach at 15:30 to return back to the Ship by 16.00hrs

In Mallorca, we have not ventured outside Palma. We had an unfortunate time in the airport as we were robbed of out passports and travellers checks. They were later found thrown into a bin. The police said that the thieves were probably only looking for money. I guess that we were lucky.

We took a cab from the port area into the city centre, about 10 euros if I remember, and looked around the city. there are some really nice shops there. We went into the Cathedral and then walked back along the waterside looking at the big boats tied up. There are the ususal human statues which are good fun.

Archived