What is the attraction to shopping on a cruise?

jon8367

I am new here, and was wondering if someone could help me. I am working on getting a job in the cruise industry as a shopping excursion guide, and was wondering if you shoppers out there would let me know what it is about shopping on a cruise that gets your blood flowing so much. I have enjoyed very much reading the posts on this site, and all of you are full of so many insights into so many areas of cruising, that I thought I would give this thread a try. Any insight that you might be able to provide would be very helpful. I am really looking forward to reading what you might have to say.

Thanks so much,

Jon

On our first cruise the shopping "seminar" on the ship led us to believe that we would find unbelievable bargains in the Carribea;bargains that only they had the inside information about . "Ask for Gregory" (or some other name ) and tell them "LiL" (or whatever her name was) told you about the diamond or emerald or tanzanite pendant, ring or watch that is available only in his establishment. Well, the loss leader was usually a cheap, poorly cut stone without a setting. I wish you could see the number of loose stones I have accumulated from our early cruises. The other "draw" was the idea of discounted cameras or other similar items. We found that the prices were not that different than what we could find at home, and the salesmen were not very knowledgable or helpful. The bottom line is that we no longer attend these onboard "seminars". We feel that they are a waste of time. I think that if a person knows what they are looking for, has an idea of the price they would pay at home, and they know where to go on an excursion, they may do well if only by saving on sales tax. If I had a specific thing I wanted to buy on a cruise, an excursion that was specific to that quest would be worthwhile. Otherwise, I would rather spend my time and money on the beach or an adventurous excursion.( oh, and the watch we purchased in Grand Cayman for my son's confirmation gift stopped working after 6 months). JMHO:)

It would be nice if the cruiselines would promote local goods/artists and not just Diamonds Int and the like.

I am sure they get a good kick back to the cruiselines but I would not buy a diamond ring from some Island store ...I would go to a jeweler I trust.

The "loss leaders" are just to make you think you are getting something for nothing then suck you in to buying a higher priced item.

Like the other poster we do not attend the shopping seminars we just do our own research if we are looking to buy something

Last cruise I got a lovely Rosewood bowl in Belize made by a local man there

he was not on the shopping list from the cruiseline.

Good luck with the job!

Hello jon8367

Welcome to the CC boards and good luck with your new job!:) I would have to say that our interests in shopping is to find an item(s) or decent quality that is unique and will remind us of the places we have visited. We also don't mind finding soveniers, t-shirts, etc. to bring home as gifts for family and friends at reasonable prices. I also would agree with misty57 that the way the cruiselines promote the above mentioned stores has got to make you wonder whose interests they have in mind. Anyway, that's my two cents..........don't spend it all in one place lol

Vince

I'm not interested in shopping for the mundane souveniers like mugs, blankets, tees, or wooden bobblehead turtles:D ...but I do seek out places where the local artisans make and sell their wares.

I do a little homework before each cruise, and also ask locals where I can find someone actually working on and selling their crafts. I've come home with some lovely small bowls, wind chimes, and shawls - that I saw being made right in front of me. To me, those are souveniers worth shopping for!:)

The primary legitimate reason for shopping onboard or in foreign ports is the ability to avoid sales taxes and import duties. Such savings can be quite significant. Savvy shoppers can and do find some great bargains! Others, not so savvy, well..... getting home and finding that your "bargain" can be purchased at Wally World for a lot less can be a real bummer!

It's the thrill of the hunt for me! I want to find something unique from each place I travel to. Most importantly, I don't want it to be made in China if I am visiting somewhere else! Quality is harder and harder to find and that's important too.

Doubt you'd find 6 husbands on any cruise who'd say.. "Gee honey, let's go shopping"

Now a 30 minute stop in the duty free liquor store, well that IS important..

but spare me the Mr Tablecloth, Diamonds Intl et al , and Little Switzerland... and no change color in the sun t-shirts either.. let's go to the beach, take a tour, or find a beach front bar..

You want to shop?? Go to the darn outlet mall at home.. without me

I will be looking for small items(easily packable) from my Europe cruises but I want something from each country that is locally made or unusual to that area. No t-shirts, diamonds, etc. I will attend the shopping/port seminars if there is nothing better to do at that time. ;)

Doubt you'd find 6 husbands on any cruise who'd say.. "Gee honey, let's go shopping" Now a 30 minute stop in the duty free liquor store, well that IS important..

but spare me the Mr Tablecloth, Diamonds Intl et al , and Little Switzerland... and no change color in the sun t-shirts either.. let's go to the beach, take a tour, or find a beach front bar.. You want to shop?? Go to the darn outlet mall at home.. without me

Fortunately my wife is not a shopper. Maybe that is one of the reasons I married her. :) The one thing we do shop for is a charm for her bracelet. We get one charm to commerate each cruise..... and I get a hat and/or t-shirt for my memento.

We just are not into diamonds, gucci bags, or name brand clothes. We have better things to spend our money on.....cruises. :D

michmike: DH is one of those husbands who often says "Gee Honey, let's go shopping." We both love shopping for bargains. If there's a good sale on something and we feel we can use it, then we go for it. It's always good paying less than the advertised retail price, no matter what part of the world you are in. We just returned from the Mediterranean and came back with various things - jewellery, clothing, purses (yes, most of it for me:o ), but they were all good prices.

We often go off the beaten path on our shopping trips, and there we find pieces that are locally produced, rather than the Diamond / Tanzanite / Emeralds Int'l, etc. I love picking up things like hand-dyed fabrics, hand-made platters, etc.; they provide such great memories and make nice conversation pieces when we get them home.

Smooth Sailing! :) :) :)

It would be nice if the cruiselines would promote local goods/artists and not just Diamonds Int and the like.

I am sure they get a good kick back to the cruiselines but I would not buy a diamond ring from some Island store ...I would go to a jeweler I trust.

The "loss leaders" are just to make you think you are getting something for nothing then suck you in to buying a higher priced item.

Like the other poster we do not attend the shopping seminars we just do our own research if we are looking to buy something

Last cruise I got a lovely Rosewood bowl in Belize made by a local man there

he was not on the shopping list from the cruiseline.

Good luck with the job!

I couldn't agree more! I got so tired of the "talks" promoting jewelry, I no longer attend those talks. It's as if everyone on a cruise is shopping for nothing other than to purchase a ring, charm, braclet or whatever. And it's always the same chain Island shops (Diamond International come to mind). I wish they would talk about local talent and things made by local artists. But, I guess until the tourists stop buying all that jewelry, the talks will continue. Personally, I'd never buy a gem stone (loose or in a setting) from someone I didn't know or at least wasn't able to personally return if it wasn't of the quality I'd been led to believe it was.

Gold by the inch! T-shirts they couldn't sell on cruises to other places and still overpriced! Ship photog's DVD's that feature endless footage of people waving at the camera!

Can't wait to see these again. Wouldn't be a real cruise without them. I'll try to buy locally-made articles on shore.

Archived