Dragging a good friend along ...

baldnfat

I've a few questions here, and hope that some of you can help.

I was able to talk the people we normally travel with into a cruise for our winter trip (Carnival Spirit Jan 2nd 200 sailing (Mexican Riviera)) ...

While, on the surface this seems like a good way for all of us to get away, one of the men in "our group" will be sailing solo, and I'm concerned that he may find himself lonely or "running out of things to do". I've never cruised solo so I have nothing to draw on, and to top it off, this will be his first cruise.

For those folks here that have thoughts and/or personal experience:

1. What types of things would a near-40 yr old extremely athletic guy find most interesting on the Carnival Spirit ?
  2. How can I best help to ensure that he has a good first cruise experience ?

Thank you in advance for your thoughts and suggestions.

• 4 weeks later...
I've a few questions here, and hope that some of you can help.

I was able to talk the people we normally travel with into a cruise for our winter trip (Carnival Spirit Jan 2nd 200 sailing (Mexican Riviera)) ...

While, on the surface this seems like a good way for all of us to get away, one of the men in "our group" will be sailing solo, and I'm concerned that he may find himself lonely or "running out of things to do". I've never cruised solo so I have nothing to draw on, and to top it off, this will be his first cruise.

For those folks here that have thoughts and/or personal experience:

1. What types of things would a near-40 yr old extremely athletic guy find most interesting on the Carnival Spirit ?
  2. How can I best help to ensure that he has a good first cruise experience ?

Thank you in advance for your thoughts and suggestions.

HELLO,,,,,,

I am a solo cruiser.......

I have not been on the SPRIT yet

Your friend will have a great time..........

He needs to learn his way around the ship....

There is the GYM,,,,,,,

There is alot of activities going on at night..........

He could go to the singles party.........

He could asked to be seated with other singles//solo

cruisers in the dining room...............

I hope that he has a great cruise.......

I love to cruise,,,,,a cruise is the best vacation.........

HAPPY CRUISING..........

"How can I best help to ensure that he has a good first cruise experience?"

The first thing to remember is that you're not responsible for someone else's happiness. A person either likes cruising, or they don't. I'm a little concerned about your title "dragging a good friend along". Sounds like you think of him as a burden, or he's reluctantly going on this trip.

I'd suggest taking your cues from him. Invite him to eat with you, join you for a drink, sit together at the shows, go on shore ex together, etc. Make him feel he has the option of doing things with you, but not feel obligated. He may have other interests, or meet others on the ship he wants to socialize with.

There are a ton of things to do on the ship, so not knowing his interests (other than he's athletic), it would be hard to say which ones might make for a good first cruise experience.

Roz

• 2 weeks later...

Sage advice -- That seems to be the way this is leaning -- We're definitely planning on letting him "free-range" to find his own 'cruise groove'. Into that the whole group will meet for some excursions and a meal or two (more like twenty!) ...

... Drinks - Definitely!

Archived