Need Galveston restaurant recomendations..

CruisinOnWheels

Howdy...first ever cruisers leavingon Rhapsdoy 12/3 and we/re planning to stay a day before and after in galveston.

We are considering the following restaurants and would appreciate any word of your experience at them:

Casey's

Fisherman's Wharf

The Spot

The Diner

Queen's Barbecue

Shearn's Steakhouse

Steakhouse at San Luis Resort

Saltwater Grill

Fish Tales

Captain's Table

Miller's Landing

The Spot is similar to Fuddruckers (if you've ever been there) and similar pricing. Order at the counter, take a pager, pick up your food, add the lettuce, tomatos, onions, pickles, etc. yourself. Their food is good and they have some awesome fried pickles!

The Captain's Table has good food also. Their outside dining area is nice if the weather is right. The Shrimp Wilhelm is to die for!! It's not what I would call a "fancy" restaurant but the food is good.

You didn't mention Ocean Grill. Being out over the Gulf, it has great views and great food also. I noticed only half of their menu is on the Galveston.com web site. They have some awesome grilled shrimp!

Shrimp N Stuff is good for an really good inexpensive meal. It is not fancy and counter service, but the prices are good and the food is good.

Have you looked at the Galveston.com web site to check out the menus of the restaurants you are interested in?

Congratulations on your first cruise. I hope you have a wonderful time and become addicted just like the rest of us :D

Howdy to a fellow Texan!

Regarding The Spot, I've never eaten there & do not know if the camera's area is wheelchair accessible or not. If it is, you can smile and wave to the folks back home on the web cam! 04.gif Click here: http://www.galveston.com/webcams/.

082502btw_prv.gif, prior to your cruise you can watch your ship leave each Sunday on the Harbor Cam. Carnival Conquest will be in front leaving around 4:00 PM. Rhapsody will be docked behind her and leaving around 5:00 PM. About 10 - 20 minutes after each ship leaves the dock, you can watch them again when they sail past the Seawolf Cam on Pelican Island.

Also, you have picked a very festive weekend to be on Galveston Island! Click here http://www.galveston.com/calendarofevents/event306/ for information regarding Dickens on The Strand. The festivities start on Friday, December 1, 2006.

I thoroughly enjoyed my last cruise on Rhapsody and I'm sure you will too! One of my suite-mates used a wheelchair and had no problems. The crew/staff and even the fellow passengers (majority = Texans) were very helpful at times. No wonder Rhapsody of The Seas is well known as the most "friendly" ship!

I sincerely hope this information will be satisfactory and wishing you lots of 080402gudl_prv.gif in finding the perfect places to eat!!

Kat 110105_emYA11_prv.gif

Howdy...first ever cruisers leavingon Rhapsdoy 12/3 and we/re planning to stay a day before and after in galveston.

We are considering the following restaurants and would appreciate any word of your experience at them:

I work in Galveston, and have been in many of these places. Here are my thoughts

Casey's: old time Gton rest., but forget about it. Plain, tired and not always reliable.

Fisherman's Wharf.: Tourists like it, but probably because its on the water. Nothing remarkable.

The Spot Unknown

The Diner Unknown

Queen's Barbecue Unknown

Shearn's Steakhouse Great rooftop restaurant by Moody Gardens. Excellent cuisine, good views. Its next to the Lonestar flight museum, ImO one of the best museums with a warbird collection.

Steakhouse at San Luis Resort: Best steak in the area, on par with Ruth Chris

Saltwater Grill: Excellent seafood, great taste and presentation. Rest is a bit loud.

Fish Tales: Yawn, chain food

Captain's Table: Unknown

Miller's Landing: Unknown

I just returned from Conquest cruise from Galveston.

Salsa's had very good food.

B Jiggers at Holiday Inn on the Beach has good Happy Hour 7 days a week. 3-9PM Live music Thurs, Fri & Sat nights.

Hope you have a great first cruise. :)

Shoalwater gave a fair assessment.

Galveston is a seafood town for obvious reasons. Shrimp, Oysters, Snapper, and Flounder are local, Red Fish and Speckled Trout are great if you can find it.

I still recommend Gaido's, Casey's is part of that complex, for the variety of the menu and usually good service. At one time, they were the best on the Texas Coast.

Willie G's next to Harborhouse 21st and Harborside, is the high-end of the Landry's chain. They offer an upscale seafood menu with a nice harbor view.

Rudy & Paco's if you like Central American.

Salt Water Grill is worth another mention.

The Spot, The Diner, Miller's Landing, Queen's are nothing special.

Interesting, you seldom hear of the Captain's Table, I had forgotten about the Wilheim, thanks Stefanie.

I would put Ocean Grill in with nothing fancy, but usually good; over the water makes weather a factor in Dec..

Dicken's on the Strand will be that weekend, so the Strand area is blocked off, but the festival is a family oriented Victorian Holiday celebration and well worth a visit, parade at 2. Look for me, I'll be wearing black with a top hat, frock coat, ascot and cane, and so will a number of others.

Moody Gardens is a class attraction as well, check their web site.

Hi,

We are planning a dinner at the Seaside Bistro in Galveston. We liked their menu, especially the German food. Is anybody familiar with this restaurant and what can you tell us about it?

Thanks.

I hope someone knows as we were thinking of going there also.

Hi,

We are planning a dinner at the Seaside Bistro in Galveston. We liked their menu, especially the German food. Is anybody familiar with this restaurant and what can you tell us about it?

Thanks.

I had to look it up, as I haven't been that far West in some years, so I called the manager. According to him, they have a very extensive menu, shrimp and fish as well as the German specials and German beers. It's Galveston casual so about anything you walk in wearing is fine. Head West on Seawall which changes to 3005, it's just a short distance past the end of the Seawall on your right.

I had to look it up, as I haven't been that far West in some years, so I called the manager. According to him, they have a very extensive menu, shrimp and fish as well as the German specials and German beers. It's Galveston casual so about anything you walk in wearing is fine. Head West on Seawall which changes to 3005, it's just a short distance past the end of the Seawall on your right.

Thank you for checking on them for us. We might give it a try & will let you know how it is if we do.

Archived