Booking hotel in San Diego for best value.

mmsoko

We are planning to extend our cruise vacation with a stay in San Diego.

We'll be there February 17-23. Hotel rates I've checked seem quite high and packages are not yet available after 12-31-06.

There will be 3 of us. DH, 17yoDS and myself. (Priceline's rooms are for two).

We're planning to do photo safari at Wild Animal Park, some whale watching, and possibly visit the gliderport at Torrey Pines.

So here are my questions:

When do I book for best prices? now or closer to departure?

What about location?

Should we pay the extra to stay near the beach? Are the beaches warm in February?

Any tips or advice will be appreciated.

It will be cold in San Diego in Feb...definately not beach weather (the water will be in the low 50s) although you can still have nice views. Unless you are lucky and we are having a Santa Ana with warm dry easterly winds, it is likely to be in the high 40s or low 50s during the day, and rain is possible.

With those locations to visit, I would recommend renting a car. This will also free you up to getting cheaper hotel rates. Try Hotel Circle/Mission Valley for many inexpensive but nice motels with virtually all the chains available. You can also take the Trolley from there downtown (where parking is expensive) for the Gaslamp quarter or even to go to the cruise ship terminal.

Actually some of the beach locations have lower prices in the winter because it is off season. You definitely will need a rental car. Misson Valley is in th emiddle of a bunch of freeways and although,filled with hotels, it won't give you the real flavor of the city.TheBestWesternBayside faces the B ay(where the cruise ships dock) and is very reasonable. Also th eWyndham downtown is having a winter special. I fyou go north of downtonw about 15 min you will find some hotels with a La joLl aAddress which are not at the beach but vconvenient like the Radisson La jOlla or the EMbassy Suites La jolla.

For more hotel info you could try tripadvisor.com

Archived